Name That Engine.....

Gilbert

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Studbaker R4 Jet Thrust. Only one was ever put into a production vehicle, a 1964 stripped out Lark, but there were about a dozen engines that were retrofitted into Avantis by Granetelli (who built the engines) in '64-'66. 304 cubic inches, 13:1, forged pistons, beefed up forged rods.

Oh - and Steve....isn't that a GE turbofan? I know it's not a Rolls cause of the case.

Oh, Tom you are so wrong. It is a Rolls-Royce alltho it didn't start out as one.

Its was origanally an Allison AE3007 turbo fan but Rolls bought out Allison so now it does carry the Rolls-Royce name. Allison developed it but didn't give it the support that it needed so it had a few problems. When Rolls took over they inherited the problems and put the money into getting them fixed and now it is a good motor.

Our highest time on the a/c is almost 11,000 hours average is above 7,000. I can remember when we got one to go 5,000 and we thought that was good. They put out about 7,500 lbs of thrust and can burn 2,000 lbs of fuel at full take-off power, in cruise they burn around 800 lbs an hour.

2,000 lbs of jet A = 298.5 US gallons[:o]

800 lbs of jet A = 119.4 US gallons

Max fan speed is 8,700 rpm

Max N2 speed (core engine) is 16,270 rpm

Max internal turbine temp 1,738 deg. F with a limit of 5 min. 1,653 deg. F continuous.

Now did you really want all that info???

Steve

"Carbureted and pushrod. .. . . technology and NASCAR Isnt that an oxymoron?"

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

Actually Gilbert, a lot of the low friction, high output of our modern production motors were by men like Ernie Elliot, Jack Roush, Robert Yates Etc. Things like thin rings high up on the piston that we take for granted.

Formula one was better last year. Those years where the car was remote controlled by the engineers in the tent was a farce.Rick

Hope this doesn't offend, or surprise anyone, it shouldn't...But watching NASCAR reminds me of Wrestleing. As for technology, well, lets not go there since NASCAR doesn't claim to bring anything new to that front. Smokey Yunick was the best thing that ever came out of StockCar Racing. Ernie, Roush and Yates also made tremendous contributions. But Smokey was always my favorite.

As for Formula One, even with this years castrated engines, and ever growing buracracy and regulations, it is still the epitome of auto racing. It has never been controlled by engineers standing on the side lines. During races engineers will remotely monitor various engine and suspension sensors, and relay what was happening to the driver so that adjustments could be made on the fly, but that is it.

Personally, my favorite F1 era was the turbo years. Ah!, but the 1994 concord agreement (I think it was) killed the turbo engines, and the normally aspirated V10's took over.... But as of Oct. 2005, the V10's were pronounced dead. Thanks to the Bernie Eccelstone and Max Mosely show, F1 fans and would-be fans will not likely see another 1300 pound car sporting a 19,000 rpm normally aspirated V10 cranking out 900+bhp. Those days are now history.

Will I still get up at 5:30am, with a hot cup of coffee to watch another race. You better know I will,.......Why,....well, ....didn't ya know....

I LOVE FORMULA ONE.

post-12381-1381928171964_thumb.jpg

I unerstand some folks love drag racing, though at it's simplist, it is smashing down the gas pedal and steering straight for 1/4 mile. Don't bite my head off, I realize there is a lot more to it, but essentially that is what you do.

I understand some folks love NASCAR, though it is somewhat like drag racing, with a few hundred left turns thrown in and some braking so you don't slide assend around in the corners. Don't bite my head off, I realize there is a lot more to it, but essentially that is what you do. (BTY, I'm forcing my wife to return home from a trip out of town earlier than she wants so I can catch Daytona Sunday.)

F1 is more my speed. Turn multiple directions, accelerate and decelerate to the extreme, high top end speeds with some S L O W spots thrown in around chicanes/esses/what have you. The epitome of automotive technology on display, though all the teams are pretty hush hush about any specifics. Unfortunatly we don't have dish or cable, so my only hope is to catch the occasional IRL race on OTA broadcasts. Beats nothing.

And....

Yes, that's a R/C boat motor. Here's a quick vid of one for those of you that aren't aware of just how quick/dangerous these things can be.

http://www.insaneboats.com/rigger1.wmv

The first part you can hear he's still cold and not able to come up on the pipe yet, but he does get better with some temp.

There are engines up to 4 cyl, 28 hp that only weigh 22 lbs.

http://www.quickdrawengines.com/sample_41X/Page_12x.html

I'm guessing that one cost more than a new GM crate motor for my Grand Prix.

Looks like a Porsche 911 Turbo engine,as you can clearly see the blower attached to the exhaust. A Subaru...nah.

The second is a Ferrari Testarossa engine,a beauty of an engine.

The most gorgeous engine is the BMW M power found in the McLaren F1,a work of high tech art.

Speaking of engines,here are two of my mini nitro engines.Losi LST2

post-3469-1381928172396_thumb.jpg

Nice looking cars you have there, EAR. You ever thought of going gas instead of nitro?

Here's a really cool web site. Lots and lots of Plane crashes....all kind, Military, Civilian, RC, etc.....enjoy.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm#Radio%20Control

Ear, the M Powered F1 is/was on the Williams car. But, BMW have since purchased their own team, and will compete as a manufacturer. Ala, Ferrari, Toyota, Renault and now BMW.