ajsons

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those looked like real knots though.

A friend of mine, also a speaker builder(bass reflex fan), found and sent me this picture from another website. I told him I know who the owner is, and sent him the link to this post. He has not seen what you have for the rear speakers. He'll probably fall from his chair when he sees them.

post-14184-1381928359551_thumb.jpg

I've been in a rut, and I havn't changed anything for almost a year now. I've been busy with work and palying with cars with my kids. I'm also finally content with the way the system sounds, and I think that has a lot do with why I backed off.

I now need to retire the home made Imperial rear surrounds and the Dean back center and use Klipschorns that match my mains and front center. I have three stock Klipschorns to do so. I feel that it may be a waste to convert all three, I might feel better selling a pair or two and making the bass horns myself. If I'm feeling lazy at the time I'll modify them. I also have 3 each 290-16K drivers and 311-90 horns begging to be used. I only have one network, so I may have Jorn Warren build me two more. Then I need to buy 3 more JBL 2404H tweeters.

There is one more reason that I have been putting off changes. I don't like the room anymore. It's 17' wide and 30' to the bar wall behind the Dean. Then it is open for another 20' (the kitchen). The room sounds good, and part of the reason is that it is open in the back, but it's now too small. I want to try a room at least 22' wide x 40' deep. I want to sit in the center of the room. I'll show you a drawing later if you like.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. New house, or modify this one. Do I sound confused? Well, I am.

After all of the above is accomplished then I want to experiment more with the Dean. Who knows? There is a chance that I may replace all the Klipschorn bass horns with the Deans and turn up the sub another 10 or 20 Hz. I believe that djk once said that when you hear a sax through 311-90 you have to whip the spit off of your face. I find that true. I also know that when I hear a bass guitar or kick drum through the Dean that it sends shivers up my spine.

I now need to retire the home made Imperial rear surrounds and the Dean back center and use Klipschorns that match my mains and front center. I have three stock Klipschorns to do so. I feel that it may be a waste to convert all three, I might feel better selling a pair or two and making the bass horns myself. If I'm feeling lazy at the time I'll modify them. I also have 3 each 290-16K drivers and 311-90 horns begging to be used. I only have one network, so I may have Jorn Warren build me two more. Then I need to buy 3 more JBL 2404H tweeters.

John Warren.... WOW!!! have not heard from him in like forever. How is he doing, what has he been up to?

I Like!

The Halo C1 & C2 both have these extra programble channels. These channels have a high pass and low pass filter. You can mix as much as you want into them from any of the processors 7 channels. You can adjust time delay, reverb, and more. I feed the right front effect channel 90% of the right main and 10% of the left main. I tried mixing some of the center channel into it , but I didn't like it that way. Just the opposite mix for the left front effect. I have the delay set up to make these channels seem as if they are about 10' behind the mains. I cut off the bass to the LaScala front effects at 60 Hz.

You know that I had a Yamaha RX-V2092 and a Yamaha RX-V3000. These are the receivers that got me hooked on front effect channels. You also know that I liked the sound of these receivers with Heritage speakers. I have alot of respect for Yamaha's higher end receivers, but there is something to be said for seperates. The RX-V3000 did a rather good job with the McIntosh amps. The McIntosh amps made a nice improvement over the amps in the Yamaha receiver. I lived with that for a while. Then I had to see if a A/V processor would furher improve the sound. The C1 didn't disappoint me, it too made a noticable difference in the sound. Better channel separation, lower noise floor. Much improved center channel sound. I could go on, but I'm getting away from your questions.

John was doing good when I lasted talked to him, which was a few months ago. He is enjoying that beast of a subwoofer that he built. He also talked about a few new ideas he had for improving the sound of a bass horn.

There is one more reason that I have been putting off changes. I don't like the room anymore. It's 17' wide and 30' to the bar wall behind the Dean. Then it is open for another 20' (the kitchen). The room sounds good, and part of the reason is that it is open in the back, but it's now too small. I want to try a room at least 22' wide x 40' deep. I want to sit in the center of the room. I'll show you a drawing later if you like.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. New house, or modify this one. Do I sound confused? Well, I am.

After all of the above is accomplished then I want to experiment more with the Dean. Who knows? There is a chance that I may replace all the Klipschorn bass horns with the Deans and turn up the sub another 10 or 20 Hz. I believe that djk once said that when you hear a sax through 311-90 you have to whip the spit off of your face. I find that true. I also know that when I hear a bass guitar or kick drum through the Dean that it sends shivers up my spine.

I like to see your drawing but my vote really is for a new house, Q , a bigger one. (easy to say 'cause it's not mine).

I know I'll be replacing my Khorn clones with Deans and Classics. One is already out of the den, replaced by the Classic. A coworker suggested mini-Deans using 6" drivers for rear speakers, with the cobreflexes on top. Not a bad idea, since I don't have a large den. Your high boy Dean looks good, too!

I'm working on the Dean drawings and mods. Will send you a copy when I get done.

Armando