How Much Snow Did You Get?

garymd

Just a light dusting here in the midwest, maybe an inch. Heard the news reports about NYC being almost shut down. But Central Park is so scenic in the snow.

Hope you can get unstuck by days end Jay. Otherwise, just stay inside, brew a nice hot cup of coffee and enjoy.

Gary, you're a nut! I just hire a guy. Not worth breaking my back.

You all be careful out there, here?

Michael

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a light dusting here in the midwest,

maybe an inch. Heard the news reports about NYC being almost shut down.

But Central Park is so scenic in the snow.

Hope you can get unstuck by days end Jay. Otherwise, just stay inside, brew a nice hot cup of coffee and enjoy.

Gary, you're a nut! I just hire a guy. Not worth breaking my back.

You all be careful out there, here?

Michael

Oh Michael we're not stuck, we're college kids hahaha. We drank

ourselves drunk cause there nothing better to do and the heat is crazy

hot. The only thing that sucks is that the food court is a walk. So we

ordered out.

I will not waste the money to buy a bigasss snowblower! Like Steve said, it'll never snow again! My little Toro does great up to about a foot and we don't often get more than that. Once every few years.

Why don't kids come around anymore? My son used to make a killing in our neighborhood. Now, not one single kid shovels snow. I suppose they're all spoiled these days or just don't need the cash. When I was growing up (how many times have you heard that one), the kids in the neighborhood would fight over the business. $5/driveway and we worked from sun-up to sundown!

Like Larry pointed out, we got the worst of the accumulation. 22 inches in Columbia/Ellicott City where I live and less than half of that just 10 miles away. Go figure.

Gary, when I was a kid Dad made a deal with us. He bought a nice John Deere setup, 140 tractor, mower deck, blade and 36" SNOWBLOWER. We could use it all we wanted, but had to buy gas and 50% of proceeds went into college fund.

My bro and I used to run that from like 5 am until we were frozen in the evenings when it really snowed here. Where we grew up (my neighborhood now) the yards are 1 acre and the driveways long. In the 70's we'd charge $20-$30 per drive and haul away hundereds of bucks in a 24 hour period when we got like 6" of snow (there weren't the portable snow blowers back then, so the only alternative really was for homeowners to shovel).

You're right, kids are different today. My neighbor has two sons in early teens, but pays a service to cut his grass and does the snowblowing himself. They sit inside and play video games.

Michael

Gary, when I was a kid Dad made a deal with

us. He bought a nice John Deere setup, 140 tractor, mower deck, blade

and 36" SNOWBLOWER. We could use it all we wanted, but had to buy gas

and 50% of proceeds went into college fund.

My bro and I used to

run that from like 5 am until we were frozen in the evenings when it

really snowed here. Where we grew up (my neighborhood now) the yards

are 1 acre and the driveways long. In the 70's we'd charge $20-$30 per

drive and haul away hundereds of bucks in a 24 hour period when we got

like 6" of snow (there weren't the portable snow blowers back then, so

the only alternative really was for homeowners to shovel).

You're

right, kids are different today. My neighbor has two sons in early

teens, but pays a service to cut his grass and does the snowblowing

himself. They sit inside and play video games.

Michael

That is defintely true today. Though last year I actually shoveled snow

for an elderly woman but she was picky. She was rather old and

requested that once I shovel, I sweep to so there is only water or so

left. That wasn't a big problem since she paid around 150 dollars for a

6 inch snow. She was very wealthy though, she lived in the richest city

in the northeast.

Gary-

In suburban Detroit we've had very little snow all year. When I spent a winter in Annapolis, 2" of snow would paralyze the area, what 22" would cause in that area is beyond my comprehension.

Take it easy. Nothing will be open. Stay home and listen to music.

Don't I wish! Schools are closed so traffic will be great. I'll be at work bright and early. By the time I woke up this morning, all the major roads were clear as was my street.

Today is my son's 23rd birthday. He was born in the blizzard of '83 when we had over 3 ft of snow. Coincidence?[:o]

Don't I wish! Schools are closed so traffic will be great. I'll be at work bright and early. By the time I woke up this morning, all the major roads were clear as was my street.

Today is my son's 23rd birthday. He was born in the blizzard of '83 when we had over 3 ft of snow. Coincidence?[:o]

I guess you weren't tired with a sore back in '83 . . . but wait . . . if he was born in February during the blizzard of '83, was it snowing in June of '82? Maybe it rained real hard.

Happy Birthday to your son!

Well, here I sit in Columbia Airport hoping, wishing, begging that Dulles is shut down so I can tell my boss, uh, hey the flight got cancelled so can I just blow off the annual meeting???....but noooooo, the board says UA 7179 ON TIME

crap

Oh well, I will suck up some some of the airport internet bandwidth and play some 10 year old in a game of Madden '06 online 'till it's time to board.

Wow, 22 inches.

Central Arkansas didn't have enough to cover the ground.

I've only seen 10 inches twice in my life. My wife (from Iowa) tells me I'd tire of it if I lived somewhere north. I'm still a kid about snow. I suppose if I had to shovel like Gary, it would become enough like work that it wouldn't be fun.

Same here - one of the warmest winters ever recorded. January was supposed to be our coldest month in Ontario, but it was in the positive celsius for almost the entire month. Which is very weird because I remember last year in January it was around -15 plus windchill for most of the time. Is it just around here or is this winter warmer than usual down south as well?

On a side note, I have shovelled the least among any of my roomates. Thanks to my rock paper n scissors skills ;)

this one missed us. just the usual 2 or 3 inch daily lake effect. we are 45 miles southeast of buffalo. 7 months of winter and 2 months of not so good sledding. in 1998 we got 7 feet in 36 hours. when it finally stopped all you could see was my chimney top. 200 buildings collapsed within a 5 mile radius of our place.

post-18012-13819281672156_thumb.jpg