How Much Snow Did You Get?

garymd

The college where I work is on top of Lookout Mtn.

Georgia, almost the highest point (okay, it isn't that high), and got

about two to three inches. Where I live in the valley, we got almost

zero. Up in the 40s today, but they closed the school for the day. I

was already there before I knew they had closed. Most of the city and

county schools around here closed as well.

After growing up in Illinois and living in Wisconsin for a few years, this sure seemed pretty silly.

Bruce

Heck we had 20 inches here and my college and most of the High Schools in NJ were OPEN

My campus wasn't even fully lowed either! there was that semi plowed

where it turns to ice and becomes even more dangerous to walk on.

People down here are PARANOID about snow! But, when you normally don't have any, a little bit can be dangerous for most drivers. The last BIG snow was '93, or maybe even the snowstorm in Jan. of 88. They had 12-14 inches on the mountains around here and folks literally couldn't get out for days.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm reminds me of a article I read that the UAE (United Arab Emirates)

a very wealthy oil rich country had 90% of their accidents when it

rained over 1 inch in one day period. Well being that they are desert

people and that they never really drive in the rain they didn't realize

to slow down in their BMW and Mercedes and hence they had 90% of the

annual auto accidents in one day. I guess people who don't realize it

on a regular basis are inexperienced to say the least.

22" of snow? Oh man that's sweet! Not here though. We have mid 50's and blue sky today.

Sweet if you're skiing!

And guess what I was doing during this whole thing! [:D]

12 inches of some of the sweetest powder that I've ever seen at Massanutten! The skiing was just devine this weekend, especially on Sunday - in the morning before it got all skied up.

Fredericksburg got about 6 inches, though.

• Moderators

I was so excited when I saw this thread. No snow here, so what are we gonna do...drive almost eleven hours to play in the snow. We are leaving Wednesday, heading to the Smokies to play with the grandkids and our "grown" kids in the snow.

Dtel thinks I am crazy. The first thing you see when you open our attic...snow disks...they stay close at hand... I LOVE the snow and try to go to the Smokies every chance I can. I usually have to drag Dtel screaming. He says we have a picture of every overlook in TN [:o] And his point is....

Imagine snow disks in South Mississippi[:o] Will take some pics, suppose to be almost four feet of snow at Mt. LeConte.

Moon, catch a plane and meet us....[;)]

• Moderators

Gary,

All the weather reports indicated 3 feet + in the upper most elevations? The area we usually sled is a hill right beside a vehicle pullover about 1/4 mile from Newfoundland Gap in the Smokies.

One report said 41" at Mounte Leconte!!!![H] Stays lots colder at the top as much as 10 to 15 cooler. And our hill is under the trees!!![;)] So the snow melts a little slower.

You are right, we are going to head out about 6:00p.m. tomorrow evening.[*]

• Moderators

We got home late last night.

What a treat, it snowed all day Saturday, but cleared up for us to be able to drive home on Sunday.

Had a great trip, two of our daughters, three of our grandchildren, our niece, and "dtel's daughter's" fiance went with us. The grandchildren love the mountains, this is the third trip to the Smokies for the 4 and 5 year old and the second trip for the 3 year old. It is so wonderful to hear their reactions.

The snow in the higher elevations was loose powder about a foot and half deep. We actually had to pack the snow to be able to use the sleds. We found one area that we could slide down without sleds. A steep short slope. Talk about fun. The four year old granddaughter is a dare devil. She jumped right on the hill, slid down spinning, ended up sliding face first for about thirty feet. She climbed right back up the hill and went again.

We played in the snow for three days and on the way home took the kids on a cave tour. Racoon Mountain Cave in Chattanooga, TN. We have toured a few caves, but this by far was one of the best. The live formations in this cave are superb. It is one of the top rated caves in the United States. Our five year old grandson really liked the tour guide, she was only sixteen years old and related very well to the kids.

All in all, a wonderful trip to my favorite place to visit.