H/K 730 $85 BIN on eBay SOLD!

DizRotus

Some might disagree, but I think the amp section is the unit's strongest point. The tuner is also pretty good sonically (the 930 has the best tuner in the x30 line). The preamp is probaby not as polished as other receivers of similar vintage. Might not be the most fair comparison, but I liked the preamp and phono section of my Marantz 1060 integrated much better. My Sansui 9090 does a better job, too.

Now, I wonder if I could get my 730 in front of someone who knew their way around schematics and a soldiering iron, and could update the caps, etc., in my 730. That would be an interesting experiment, I think. Any takers?? [:D]

How is the phono on these H/K twin powered receivers?

Despite having purchased a 730, two 430s and a 630 (junk returned to seller) , I've got no personal experience or opinion regarding the phono sections. My vinyl days are long gone, as is my AR TT w/SME arm, and I've no desire to go down that road again.

Other Forum regulars, including HDBRbuiler and Colterphoto1, would comment favorably (I believe) and from personal experience.

I'm surprised that the 730 is still available at 2:04 PM EST with a BIN of $85.

Its a pretty nice deal for this 730, if only this was summertime I'd have definitely bought it... on a tight budget this academic year. Also, apart from changing the caps on them are there any other mods people have done to their HK x30 series receivers?? Curious to know how much better they can sound with any available upgrade.

Also, how much better would it be over my current integrated amp - a Kenwood KA-4004. I've searched everywhere I can't get any info on the 4004, I read in some forum a gentleman say he thinks it might be around 35-40watts in 8ohm.

Many thanks,

I snagged that puppy. IT"S MINE!!

Cheers,

Robert

Glad to keep it in the family.

In this case, the lurker risk seemed less a problem than not alerting the Forum to its availability. Let us know how it works.

I've attached a PDF of the service manual.

Many thanks,

I snagged that puppy. IT"S MINE!!

Cheers,

Robert

Nice buy, I was gonna grab it this morning, just couldn't see the need for it though, I'm buying a HK AVR7300 in 8 days so I definatly wouldn't be needing that.

While we are on the subject of HK, what is the deal with the mispelling of Harman Kardon?

Even HK themselfs does it.

Harmon Kadron

Harman Kardon's 45 years of innovation assure that our DVD Changers, CD players,

tape decks, speakers, home theater systems, car stereo, GPS, ...

www.harmankardon.com/

You're gonna love that unit. I snagged one last month at a flea market for $100. A little deoxit on the pots and it sings. LOTS of power. Really suprising. Sounds so sweet I put my tube integrated on hold for a while so I can enjoy this gem. The tuner is excellent. Very sensitive.

To be honest, I've been so busy listening to CD's I havent played any LP's with it. Shame on me. I'll get around to it soon though. Have fun! This is a sweet, underrated little amp.