Home theater TV

murphy

I'm in the process of choosing equipment and would like to go with HDTV.

My choices are:

Sony 32" HDTV

Panasonic CT-36HX41

Sony 36" HDTV

The Sony is really pricey when compared with the Panasonic so in reality the choice would be the Panasonic 36" vs the Sony 32 trinitron

Opinions??

Is the Sony really better, or is the price differential a question of paying for the brandname???

Thanks

M Murphy

Nothing against Sony, but you pay more for their logo.

IMO, Panasonic is much better bang for buck AND very high quality.

I found that Pana here:

http://www.proactiveelectronics.com/cgi-local/gocart.cgi?id=PACT36HX41

I don't know if you're looking for less footprint, but here is a good 40" HD projection wide screen in same price range:

http://www.xtremeshopper.com/xtreme.storefront/en/product/40H80?r=yes

I like both Panasonic and Toshiba for value with HD. Not pimpn', but I found these prices from pricescan.com

Good luck and happy hunting

sony-hands down-the BEST video product, day-in-day-out across-the-board! get the xbr 450 in a 32 or 36. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

You should really check out Loewe, most dealers are willing to deal with you. It is about the same price as Sony XBR when it is all said and done. The Loewe's are built well and have a most excellant picture. I personally ran into a great deal on a 36" Toshiba that I am very pleased with for now (analog, $600 from $999). I plan on getting a 38" Loewe widescreen direct view when we can afford it. Don't be afraid of the MSRP on the Loewe sets.

JT

avman-

I have been looking at a widescreen projection set for a while and am torn between Hitachi and the Pioneer Elite. I have seen both (very impressive), but not side-by-side for even comparison. I figure for my room, probably a 53-57" set would work. I am still a bit wary about RP with off-axis viewing as my HT has some side seating. Any thoughts for those two sets vs your love of the Sony RP?

Now I am hearing ads for the 40" WEGA tube, which sounds pretty cool too. I would like any purchase to be relatively "future proof" since it seems the whole industry is trying to figure itself out. How would the 40" do against a RP? Can it support 16:9? Thanks for your thoughts!

the 40" hd ready wega is going to find a place in my home theater (hopefully by 12-25-01). MY choice is the 43" hd ready rptv for cost/vs./performance, but the w2b says the 40" tube is more '3-d', and it is...but not by much. anyway, to keep the peace (piece?Smile.gif)i'm getting the 40"tube to the tune of $1,500 MORE than the 43 rptv...but not before i pay the balance on my sharp xvz-1u lcd projector w/thx-certified micro-perf stewart screen! btw-the only concern i have about the micro-perf is a moire' effect the perforations can have w/a lcd projector-any input? BOTH of these video products are 4x3 aspect ratio, and the sony has an auto 16:9 're-configuration' so you get 100% of your picture density when you play letterboxed movies. i'd much rather have black bands at the top and bottom of my screen for 16:9 programs than having 4:3 look like it was put in a crusher. sony also makes a 51" and 57" 16:9 hd ready rptv..VERY nice picture, i sell 'em for about $2,900, and the 43" hd ready 4:3 rptv for $2,025.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!