if not Klipsch, then what?

snilsen13

I'm pretty certain everybody here is die hard Klipsh heads, and notheing wrong with that, but I've got a question for some of you who listen to other brands or llistened to other brands and ended up back in the Klipsch camp. What were those speaker? what made them interesting? what brought you back?

Why ask? I'm not going to trade my Cornwalls (the heart of my system for karmic reasons). All the same, my amplification is moving to a very flexible tube pre-amp into 50W of class A, so I'll have some nice juice to play with. Speakers that pop up FS in craigslist and such are what I'm most curious about, but I don't want to limit your comtribution.

Myself, I went from vintage DLK (virtually unknown), to modern bookshelve speakers to Cornwalls, and that's all. I've got others around now, but nothing that compares favorably to the Cornwalls.

I listen to Dahlquist M904 in my 14x14 office, where I actually do most of my listening. They are a simple 8" two way, ported with dome tweeter. Not nearly as efficient as Heresies, but the two way is extraordinarily smooth at lower volumes (where you can talk on the phone with the jams still on).

I've tried Heresies and KG4's in this room (as they're about the same footprint), but nothing equals these walnut beauties. Perhaps Forte might be the only Klipsch that might beat them out, but I've not had the privlege of ownership yet.

My Klipsch arsenal is in sig line. I have about everything Heritage and quite a bit of Ref to choose from.

Michael

If not Klipsch, then I would want the older (50's, 60's/early 70's) Altec and JBL. The good stuff in vintage Altec and JBL, though - it's pricey and hard to come by! Klipsch is a much more value oriented method of getting the horn/compression driver sound that I love - used Heritage can be obtained on a workingman's budget, and are solid enough to be "lifers". But if I had the budget, and could go "all out", I would be living "large" with vintage Altec and JBL stuff. Since I cannot realistically obtain and maintain the BIG Altec and JBL I would want, I am a happy vintage Heritage owner - 6 Cornwall HT and a Belle Klipsch pair in 2 channel. I haven't even thought about switching speakers, and probably wouldn't unless I walk into a deal I cannot say no to on a JBL pair, or end up owning a Klipschorn ideal dwelling. I never get tired of Heritage!

Some Klipschheads have ventured into the land of electrostats (like Magnepans) at various points in their audio addictions, and many found them interesting, too, as they image superbly when set up properly - a bit bass shy for those used to Klipsch, though. You'll use all the power you have to get 'em going - they are very power hungry. If you are just playing around and want to sample something "different", this might be something to try.

Most other speakers I never thought enough of to really play with. I was never really happy until I started owning horn/compression driver stuff.

I very much enjoy my large Altecs 604's. I would love to hear a set of Khorns to hear the differences and similarities. I don't have a lot of experience with alot of other brands of speakers, except some old Pioneer, old Sansui, 90's cheap Polks, and Klipsch KG4's. I have heard some of the Reference Series Klipsch at the local dealers and also Paradigm's. I liked my Altecs better than any of those I heard. It seemed they didn't want to turn the subwoofers off so I could listen in 2 channel. The big reference Klipsch were pretty good. The Paradigms had NO bass. Again, some of the Altecs are pretty darn good to my ears.

I have four systems in my home and I am most fond of my LaScalas which I have a Carver true sub working with. To me there's no way anything can compare to horn loaded sound, especially for the wonderful voices. Rikki Lee Jones, ("On Satueday Afternoons in 1963" almost brings me to tears it's so beautiful out of the LaScalas)

But recently I picked up a pair of Audio Physic Yaras that I have played in a side by side switching between them and my LaScalas,.... Bass reflex or not they are out of this world.

Right now I have them in my bedroom system being driven by a mint 1962 Altec "Astro" Receiver that puts out a little over 20WPC. Knowing I needed something with a small footprint for my rather small bedroom I can't see me ever dumping them not only for their sound and footprint, but because I got them for next to nothing from a fella with far more money to spend on HiFi than I will ever have.

My two cents,

Ditto in the vintage Altec Lansing. But they are pricey. Unless you get lucky. [;)]http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/672771/ShowPost.aspx

I was trying to find a match for mine but the prices are through the roof compared to a nice set of Cornwalls. I love my Altecs but I don't see losing my Cornwalls anytime soon though. The four of these will make a dang good HT someday.

Hmm...this is indeed an interesting question as I've been from Klipsch to other brands more than a few times the past 10 years. Owning Klipsch LaScalas, Cornwalls (twice), KLF-20s, Chorus (twice), Epic CF-4s, RF-7s, Quartets, and Heresies and now back, again (finally I hope) to LaScalas. In between I've owned KEF Reference 3s (a very balanced speaker but never made me feel enthused about my music), NHT 2.9s (great in a very narrow sweet spot but that's it.), Carver Amazing Platinums, Silvers and AL-IIIs (which I still own but selling since I decided to stay with my LaScalas). The Carvers do a lot of things very well. Many things far better than the Klipsch to include deeper, more realistic bass, and very wide and deep airy soundstage. Probably more accurate too. BUT, nothing has the 'presence' of a good horn speaker or sounds more 'live'. Plus I really don't have the right room for the Carvers or the space they need. The also require a very strong amp. Other speakers I've owned during this period include the Magnepan MMGs and 1.6s and the Eminent Technology LFT-VIIIs, both planar speakers. Overall I preferred the ETs and Carvers over the maggies. The ETs are really an incredible speaker for $1500 and, in reflection, the only speaker I'd go back to (in my current listening room) if I stray from Klipsch again. The last speakers I can think of that I really enjoyed and owned the past few years were the Ohm Walsh 2s and 4s. HUGE soundstage. In the end, like a stray dog, you always want to come home and enjoy that which brings you the most pleasure and emotion. And that always seems to be the Klipsch. While it's fun to try different designs and be able to enjoy the different qualities/strengths of them; you eventually realize it's always a matter of trade offs. There is no perfect speaker. You just have to find the one that you find most 'listenable' over the long haul. With the type of music you listen to. My LaScalas certainly aren't the most aesthetic speakers I've owned, but somehow they are the most 'comfortable'. It's nice to be home...

Apart from DIY horn speakers...I have been very fond of the Tannoy

speakers. They're a bit more on the harsher end than klipsch, but on

the right amp they really sing. Not sure I would go back to Tannoy

after hearing klipsch though....I really love me Chorus II's (and I

love the cornwalls too).

I do a lot of very low-level listening so I've been tempted to try out

a pair of nearfield direct-radiator speakers. The few nice systems I've

heard (can't remember the model names) simply blew me away.

One of these days I will build myself some speakers that have the best of both worlds.

Last week I had a chance to demo a pair of the Tannoy Reveals at the office. The bottom of the line actives with 5"s sounded really really nice. They go up into the 30's, I think, with their super tweet. Smoked the Mackies and KRK that I've heard as far as imaging goes. Neutral without being bland. I'd like to hear their dual concentric nearfields, especially the Ellipse. I'd love to hear some of their big stuff. Allan says Dre absolutely bumps on his...

The Cornwalls aren't being replaced, but it's good I think to keep ones' ears open.

Speakers are like wine(or beer)..

I have Infinity SM 112s(nice and light)

Polk Monitor 10s(wonderful midrange)

RTR 300s(big ol 12" in too small a cabinet)

EPI 320s(what a nice speaker)

I know this isn't necessarily stepping up, but I'm sure glad I own them.

Last week I had a chance to demo a pair of the Tannoy Reveals at the office. The bottom of the line actives with 5"s sounded really really nice. They go up into the 30's, I think, with their super tweet. Smoked the Mackies and KRK that I've heard as far as imaging goes. Neutral without being bland. I'd like to hear their dual concentric nearfields, especially the Ellipse. I'd love to hear some of their big stuff. Allan says Dre absolutely bumps on his...

I sold my Tannoys (vintage Monitor Gold 15"), but you are correct, with the correct cabinet (I've been told... I'm certainly not able to afford the better horn cabinets for them) they best the mighty Khorn. They are a truly amazing speaker. Nothing I've ever heard, even my Khorns, image as well.

Woo

Budgetary constraints should enter the equation here.

If I had so much money I didn't need to worry whether my speakers cost $1,000 or $100,000 and could simply go out and buy what I liked the best, I would definately buy Avantgarde Trio's with the maxed out bass horns. I don't think they sound better enough than Klipschorns to justify the multi-fold increase in price, but again if price was not a factor, them's what I'd have.