Heresy vs. Cornwall

whtboy

I've had a pair of cornwalls in my living room for the last couple months and I'm thinking about picking up a local pair of heresys. I like them a lot overall but there are a few frequencies that really bug me.

There's something somewhere between 200 & 600Hz that makes Natalie Merchant sound terrible when she hits certain notes. It's very resonant and artificial, like a male voice singing in the shower, and it sounds like it's coming from the woofers. There are one or two other frequencies that come out of the mid that have a hard, resonant overtone that definitely isn't in the source.

I've got a 15 band eq coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm hoping that will be granular enough to deemphasize the resonant frequencies without affecting the rest of the spectrum too much. But even if I am able to get the SPL at that frequency turned down so it doesn't stand out by volume, it is still going to sound resonant and distorted.

-jacob

Jacob

It is quite possible you have some issues with room acoustics. Prior to setting up the EQ, try moving the speakers relative to the rear and side walls. I bet this will change the the problems you have encountered. However, this is not fix, it will only shift the problems to a different frequency. If there is an appreciable difference, then you will need to investigate some room treatments. Using an EQ for this is of limited benefit.

Good luck,

-Tom

I've had a pair of cornwalls in my living room for

the last couple months and I'm thinking about picking up a local pair

of heresys. I like them a lot overall but there are a few

frequencies that really bug me.

I hope you thought about (and got) these.

I've always liked Heresys for what they are, but they aren't

"full range" like my Cornwalls.

Are you sure the problem isn't with Natalie? ;-)

• Like 1

Those are them and I'm picking them up tomorrow =)

Regarding acoustics, I just sold my leather sofa and loveseat and am getting something in microfiber. I also picked up some a roll of R13 fiberglass insulation and some fiberboard to build a few DIY acoustic panels =)

Hopefully in a week or two I'll have something to report. From what I've read reducing early reflections will have a positive effect on imaging too.

-jacob

I'm running them off a Yamaha RX-V530 at the moment. I've also run them from a Sonic Impact super t-amp and the sound isn't much different.

I wish I had a bigger house or another room or something. I'll probably end up taking these Heresies to work or giving them to a friend or something.

Apparently there is some water damage as well as spilled paint on them. This may be my first attempt at cabinet refinishing =)

-jacob

I never thought my Corns were that hot. Too much muddy bass and weak midrange.

I think this opinion would be seriously in the minority.

I believe that the general opinion around here is that the Cornwall is about the best Klipsch used bang for the buck you can get. It has a smooth, deep frequency response and is not terribly dependent on placement as many other cabinets. The only other Klipsch that come close in terms of sound value, are the ForteII .

Michael

I believe that the general opinion around here is that the Cornwall is about the best Klipsch used bang for the buck you can get. It has a smooth, deep frequency response and is not terribly dependent on placement as many other cabinets. The only other Klipsch that come close in terms of sound value, are the ForteII .

Michael

No doubt, Cornwalls and Fortes rock. Once you go there the next stop is Khorns if you have the space and the corners.

Michael

I am not being argumentative and perhaps I am spoiled by having K-Horns in the house. However, the bass on the Cornwalls does have some problems and muddy is not a bad description. Remember this is on an absolute scale since I believe that Cornwalls are better than the vast majority of speakers available. Regarding the mid-range, I would not use the word "weak" but the mids are a bit "nasal' in their sound (listen to brass instruments).

I am not down on Cornwalls - I own a pair. However, this poor guy is dealing with some room issues and some speaker issues and trying to sort them out. I will say it again, I love Klipsch cabinets; however, they are not perfect. Yes, the Cornwalls are a fantastic value (sound per dollar), but they are some problems.

Good Luck,

-Tom

spacer.gif

"So no one else has this problem with their cornwalls? If not I guess it *is* my room."

jacob, I posted a similar observation about Cornwalls when I first got mine. There does seem to be an irregularity in the upper end of the K-33's range compared to Khorns, LaScala or Belles which are horn loaded and cross lower. Each of them has it's own idiosyncrasies. I wouldn't trade any for another loudspeaker though.

Heresys with a good sub and a tad of top end attenuation are superb. Not far from what is available from it's big brothers. And, I might add a bit more "amplifier tolerant" due to their lower sensitivity. IOW my Yamaha RX-V1 sounds better on them than on the Khorns.

Rick

Hi,

How old are your Cornwalls? I have had Cornwall II's and they were the best, most versatile speaker I have ever owned, besides the K-horns in my old house but that's another story. I currently have Chorus I's which are close to the Cornwalls but not quite there in terms of low end performance.

You may have a crossover problem? I would hit up Bob Crites, BEC, about getting those old caps out and freshen them up. It may make a difference. Could be the crosses are letting too much mid-range creep into the woofers? I know that's not very technical but it's the best I can do. You could also check into some "full race" crossovers from DeanG or Chris Munson, popbumper. In any case, I think it will make a big difference!

I would stay with the Corns!

Good luck!

Mark

Good point.

I recently installed Dean's Super B's in my Corns and they tightened up the bass response BIG TIME! What some would have considered "muddy" is now just deep, tight and VERY powerful bass. On some of my SACDs, you'd think I had the RSW12 turned on.

I use a Scott 299b with my Cornwall system and it sounds amazing. Very different then the Khorns/VRDs/BlueBerryXtreme but wonderful in its own way. I would never get rid of either. I also have a pair of '72 Heresys that sound great, especially hooked up to the Scott using the subwoofer. One of the nice features of that little amp is the sub connection on the rear. I have no use for it with the Cornwalls but it comes in handy with the Heresys.

Sometimes you just need to experiment a bit and get the right gear and upgrades. It took this forum and some 25 years to figure it all out but I think I finally got it.[:D]

Those are them and I'm picking them up tomorrow =)

Congratulations! Great deal. I saw that ad about an hour after it

popped up and figured they were already gone. I agree that a good sub

would solve the problems I have with Heresys as a "primary" speaker.