Heresy vs. Cornwall

whtboy

Hi,

How old are your Cornwalls? I have had Cornwall II's and they were the best, most versatile speaker I have ever owned, besides the K-horns in my old house but that's another story. I currently have Chorus I's which are close to the Cornwalls but not quite there in terms of low end performance.

You may have a crossover problem? I would hit up Bob Crites, BEC, about getting those old caps out and freshen them up. It may make a difference. Could be the crosses are letting too much mid-range creep into the woofers? I know that's not very technical but it's the best I can do. You could also check into some "full race" crossovers from DeanG or Chris Munson, popbumper. In any case, I think it will make a big difference!

I would stay with the Corns!

Good luck!

Mark

I ordered new caps and diaphragms from Bob about a month ago. I put them in the day they came in =)

I have loved my Corns for the 20 years I've had them. I never did anything to worry about how they were placed, etc. Just plug and go anyway that looks cosmetically pleasing in the room. Small rooms, larger rooms, it didn't matter. They always sounded great. I did build some stands for them that raised them about 2 feet off the ground. Admittedly, I did it for looks - but maybe it helped the sound. IDK.

I recently bought KHorns. I love them. They are better. But as far as bang for the buck on used items, they are not 3x better. There seems to be in most cases a law of diminishing returns that applies based on the amount of $$$ you spend on components. If you spend 2x the $$$, you get less than 2x as good - but still notably better.

I agree with Michael, Corns are the best bang for the buck hands down. JMHO.

The first thing I did after I installed new K77 domes and capacitors was experiment with location, toe-in, etc. but none of that affected the problems I (still) have.

Btw, I picked up the Heresies this morning =)

They are pretty tore up. The grill cloth looks like it saw the losing end of a cat fight, the fiberboard part of the grills are warped and water damaged. There is a classic 8" potted plant stain on the top of one of them. The 45-degree joints don't meet up flush with eachother.

I'm thinking I am going to strip them, restain a darker color to help mask the wood problems, sand and repaint the face (yes that looks bad too), make some new grills out of fiberboard and black muslin, and possibly go over all the internal wood joints with silicone just to make sure things are sealed.

I told my mom about them and she said she might be interested in taking them off my hands when I'm done =)

Does anyone know where I could find the Heritage-style Klipsch labels that go on the grills?

-jacob

As far as the "impressionable sound" of Cornwalls, I was pleased yesterday when a good friend, that I have far less contact with after having moved back to Houston, called yesterday to ask what I spent for my Corns that he remembered hearing about 14 years ago. That he even remembered I had Corns and was impressed enough to keep them in mind all this time, was flattering. He found himself a pair recently for $450. Lucky dog!

• Thanks 1

Haha, yeah I still want to do that. My first excuse for postponing was to get the new diaphragms and caps in. My excuse right now is that I want to get my acoustic treatment done first. I've got the raw materials in my garage, I just need to take them time to put it all together.

I definitely want to hook up sometime for a little A/B listening though.

I'm really hoping it doesn't make *that* big a difference, because I have a credit card I need to pay off first and this hobby is getting expensive. My intention when I bought the corns was just to replace the crappy speakers I had that blew out, not to get started down a never-ending road of upgrades. But here I am =)

I hooked up the Heresies. The woofer cones look kind of bad too, like they were stored in a really humid enviroment. They sound pretty damn good though, although I would definitely want a sub if I was going to use them as my main speakers, but then again I have my sub turned on half of the time even with my Corns.

My eq just arrived at the office. I'm heading in to pick it up. What a great day =)

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd punt the rx-v530 before I bought other speakers.

My amp journey with my cornwalls was, I started with a mid level Yammy receiver, upgraded to another Yammy receiver, followed by a Adcom 2535 with a Emotiva ump - 1 next came a SE tube amp. Each step there was noticeable differences. 

Good luck chasing the dragon, enjoy.

In my opinion Hersey's would be the wrong move based on what you are describing.  

On 2/15/2006 at 6:13 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

I have loved my Corns for the 20 years I've had them.

I agree with Michael, Corns are the best bang for the buck hands down. JMHO.

My experience is the same as Jeff's . In fact I am surprised this thread went on this long . There is no comparison they are two different types of " jewels ", different seize, different cost .

• 11 months later...
On 2/14/2006 at 9:20 AM, whtboy said:

I've had a pair of cornwalls in my living room for the last couple months and I'm thinking about picking up a local pair of heresys. I like them a lot overall but there are a few frequencies that really bug me.

There's something somewhere between 200 & 600Hz that makes Natalie Merchant sound terrible when she hits certain notes. It's very resonant and artificial, like a male voice singing in the shower, and it sounds like it's coming from the woofers. There are one or two other frequencies that come out of the mid that have a hard, resonant overtone that definitely isn't in the source.

I've got a 15 band eq coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm hoping that will be granular enough to deemphasize the resonant frequencies without affecting the rest of the spectrum too much. But even if I am able to get the SPL at that frequency turned down so it doesn't stand out by volume, it is still going to sound resonant and distorted.

-jacob

Very interesting post. I've always wondered if the extra size of the cabinet is what contributes to this compared to the Heresy.