Heresy vs. Cornwall

whtboy

On 12/28/2018 at 10:25 AM, whatever55 said:

the Heresy on top of the Cornwall ?

Yeah ... only way to go :D  Used to have Heresies stacked on my CW's.  Now the Heresies are stacked on KPT-904's with the 510 horns next to it :) Of course the 904's are on a different amp (Crown K1 at 350wpc) ... so when I turn on the 904's, I can't even hear the Heresies :D                      

Does anyone have anything to share regarding the way voices and horn instruments compare between these two speakers? There's usually a great deal of emphasis regarding the bass impact. For example, on my Heresy II, I added two 8" REL subs, one for each channel. The first time I heard it, I was immediately blown away. It sounded extremely impactful but I honestly don't find that I need the subs for every genre of music and leave them off 50% of the time. If the cabinet is larger like the Cornwall, then certainly something in the higher vocals and horn type instruments are going to be affected yes? I find these instruments beautiful, tight and well controlled in the Heresy already, leaving little to be desired. 

PWK said "we live in the midrange" assuming that equal attention has been paid to the design a good larger mid horn will always sound better than a good smaller mid horn. The larger the mid horn the lower it can maintain its polar response this means that the horn can respond lower and control its dispersion both horizontal and vertical to a lower frequency and so the stage and image lower as well this results in a better more stable sounding sound.

I would recommend you listen to a CW2 with a K601 (resin mid horn) or better yet a Chorus 2 or make the jump and proceed directly to listening to a CW4. If you like two ways and you have the chance listen to a Bob Crites Cornscala D.