HELP..... Cornwall Vault Storeage

Gilbert

IS ANYONE MAN ENOUGH TO STEP UP AND CARRY THE TORCH AS KEEPER OF THE VAULT.

I simply do not have the room at my house, or else I would. Ideally, the new keeper of the vault will live in an area that's not too far from a Forward Air terminal.

Please, any takers??

Well, it looks like we still have plenty of manly men here. Thank you sooooo very much for stepping forward. Dave, is our current keeper of the Vault, but it is too big a hassle for him to commute back and forth to the Forward Air terminal.

I'm certain that Dave (aka AudibleNectar) has checkout the offers here, and I will let him decide which direction to go from here. My biggest concern was to keep the vault in circulation, and not let it go to waste in some dump, and to take the burden off Dave, since it cost him a whole day just to get the vault out.

It was constructed specifically for shipping a pair of Cornwall to far away places. My hat goes off to Dean for having someone construct the vault. It is bullet proof, not even V.P. Chaneys' shot gun could shoot through it [;)].

Thank you so much again.

I assume that Detroit Metro has forward air service, if I'm wrong I know that someone will point that out. I could transport the vaults in my van and store them in our warehouse. If they can be sent to Detroit Metro, there's no excuse for abandoning them on a loading dock.

I assume that Detroit Metro has forward air service, if I'm wrong I know that someone will point that out. I could transport the vaults in my van and store them in our warehouse. If they can be sent to Detroit Metro, there's no excuse for abandoning them on a loading dock.

Here are there locations on a US map.

http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm

Here are there locations on a US map.

http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm

DTW there as expected.

It's a big shipping crate custom made to hold a pair of Cornwalls.

Would it be best in terms of shipping costs to have the Crate centrally located or at least near a large number of active buyer/traders?

M

You get my vote on all counts. Nonetheless, I'll store it if need be.

I'm not advertising for the job, just trying to make common sense suggestions.

Probably 2 out of 3 trips the vault will be empty- going from storage to the shippers house, and returning home from the recipients home. Only one in three trips will it have frieght in it. So it's a rather expensive proposition to utilize this vault system.

I take it the purchaser of the Cornwalls would have to be willing to prepay for all three legs of the journey, or else store the crate at his house until needed again? If it's a couple hundred per journey, that could easily DOUBLE the cost of most Cornwalls. So it'd probably only get used for the finest condition speakers, rarities, or for when the buyer was way out in BFE.

Michael

It's been a while since I've used FA, but I seem to remember the "empty" rate quote being about $50-60, and the "full" rate being from 130-175 (depending on distance). Michael does make a good point about paying at least twice for every pair this crate ships. For a good and desireable pair of Cornwalls, it is worth it, however - and FA beats other freight companies on price. In my case, I was able to incorporate more "full" loads with the crate, since I was not only shipping my own Cornwalls but other folks' pairs in between to maximize the trips. If the crate keeps moving, it costs less per person to use it then if it is sent to a "caretaker" in between.

Michael's point does explain, in part, why I still have this. I have made several attempts/addressed inquiries from forum members to send it out, only to have the eventual Cornwall seeker make a different and geographically better deal for them instead of using the crate. I have also noticed that the "crate system" isn't as good with non-forum members (like ebay people, for example), because they get wierded out about shipping issues anyway, where the forum members here know about the special issues, and are willing to do what is necessary to get them to the destination intact.

Storing this has not been a problem. I do have room for storage here - but there is a certain amount of work to use this, especially because FA will not go to you, you have to go to Forward Air - and the "money order only" payment system that FA uses, so most simply opt to shop for a closer pair. In special cases where that wanted rare and pristine pair is cross country, this is the ticket. That's why I made sure not just to keep it, but to replace the pallet to bring it back to near new condition. Even if it sits here five years and then gets back to service for someone, it's still worth holding on to.

This goes out on Monday to service Gil, and then there are no plans afterward (and therefore it would need a home), since it looks like "OldEars" deal is not happening for the moment. So unless it is needed for use by someone else, it looks like it will need a home after Gil gets his Cornwalls.

My gut feeling tells me that Michael or DizRotus would be best candidates to be "keepers" because they are both fairly centrally located and are here regularly (which is important for when the vault is needed again). Another idea would be to "share" the responsibility in the future - maybe have Michael store it for a while, have someone else store it later if Michael gets tired of it or it makes sense to store it elsewhere.

My only issue with continuing to be the "caretaker" is that I am three hours away from the nearest FA terminal, and therefore it is more difficult to get it back out to people who need it (I have to take a day off work to do this).

If there are other ideas or needs related to this, I'm all ears.

I sold my CWs on ebay a while back and wanted to use the vault. I posted a couple times but no one even knew where it was. I think the vault is a nice idea but not really viable.

Anyone can place a pair of CW's on a pallet, surround them in blankets/cardboard and rachet tiedows (like I did) and take them to forward air with a lot less hassle of trying to get this elusive vault delivered to them.

Burn the vault in your backyard and be done with it. It isn't necessary.

"Anyone can place a pair of CW's on a pallet, surround them in blankets/cardboard and rachet tiedows (like I did) and take them to forward air with a lot less hassle of trying to get this elusive vault delivered to them."

Yes, they can - until a forklift meets your package. That actually happened with this crate full of my '68 verticals - saved them from what would be damage in most other packaging. Not to mention the numerous other pairs shipped and kept pristine - it's paid for itself many times over to several here.

I do think your point is well taken for average pairs. I have had many opt to do it another way, so that's proof of your theory to a degree. But for vintage/special and pristine pairs one might want to take extra care. Most of the time people drive for 'em (like Michael does), but in Gil's case, this is the best method for him.

I am truly sorry I missed your request - I haven't had "perfect attendance" (I have stepped out for a month or two here and there) but I always respond to requests about it when I am here - or if I get word through email.

A pair of CWs back to back sitting in the middle of a 40x48" pallet aren't going to be damaged by a forklift. If the Forklift operator somehow misses the GIGANTIC holes in the bottom of the pallet and stabs your speakers 6" above where the forks are supposed to go... well, then forward air needs to man up and pay for them with their insurance.

If the vault was easily found and quickly shipped into action I feel it would be worth using. But, when someone needs it, posts asking where it is... no one seems to have a clue. And you know a klipsch enthusiast doesn't want to wait a few extra days for his CWs to arrive.

I say, screw that crate.

Send it back to whoever made it (if they even want it) and be done with it. It's not worth the hassle.

Well, I shipped Member Cleve's CF3's to him in New York using Forward Air. They provided a huge motorcycle sized plastic container that didn't even have loops or areas where I could tie the speakers down. So I ended up lining the box with cardboard boxes, wrapping the speakers, then stuffing a couple rolls of house insulation I had on the truck in there to keep em from sliding around.

Even then there was just a thin layer of plastic between the evil forklift blades and his valuable speakers. If I EVER had a pair of Cornwalls shipped (and you know me, I dont use this method very often at all) I'd BE SURE to severly crate them up.

If anyone here thinks it ill advised or foolish, they don't have to be part of the circle. But I think it's a great idea, especially after seeing what happened to GIl's last parcel.

Michael