Best Outdoor Klipsch Speakers for the Price...

Tim_in_NC

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to begin taking advantage of either the Multi Room/Zone or the A-Bus features that my H/K AVR-7300 offers and have decided to look for some Klipsch Outdoor Speakers...

What's everyone's choice? Best bang for the buck?

Also, any of you guys have experience with the H/K AB 1 (A-Bus controller) ... Can it get loud? Does it offer plenty of sound for outside entertainment?

thanks,

TIM

is there really much difference between the SA series and good old KSB's other than plugging the port so water can't get in? KSB 1.1's can be gotten for like $50 per pair on ebay. If you hung em tight under overhangs, they wouldn't get much weather anyway.

Michael

Clue me in here, but exposed ports would have more than just water to worry about here. Every wren, wasp and other critters would plug it up in a season. On the other hand, if the ports are at least screened off then fifty bucks sounds like a great deal.

I currently have a set of KSB 1.1's and love 'em for the size and sound they give...

Actually, I think the HS-2's are more of same construction as the KSB 1.1's ...

I thought that the "outdoor" speakers could handle water better ...

Maybe the speakers and connections were coated in some sort of water

repelling substance, etc...

If the only thing that's different is the Speaker Box/Casing and the

closable port... I can easily come up with some silicon and other

materials to make it more waterproof...

Let me know guys, I'd love to get another set of KSB 1.1's for outside duty...

I've got 8 pairs of KSB1.1's and love em at lower volumes. Here's what I'm going to do for my patios this next summer. I'll mount the speakers tight up under the wide (2') overhangs on my ranch style house. The chance of water blowing up under there is minimal. But just in case, I'm going to tilt the speakers back TOWARD THE HOUSE and DOWN. That way, there's almost no way weather can get to the drivers. The sound waves will bounce off the house and then spread broadly across the patios of the house. There is only like a 1" port and the metal grille is pretty impervious.

For about half or less the cost of 'exterior' speakers, I think it's worth a try.

Michael

Sounds like I'm gonna have to give this a try...

On a side note...

I'm planning on powering my "outside" speakers with

the Mulit Zone Amp in my Harman Kardon AVR-7300 and then maybe later

use an A-BUS ...

Do you think there is any way lightening could hit one

of these "outside" speakers and damage my AVR-7300 ???

OR... Do you think if water got into the speakers, the water could somehow short or damage the AVR-7300 ???

I doubt it but was curious...

I've got 8 pairs of KSB1.1's and love em at lower volumes. Here's what I'm going to do for my patios this next summer. I'll mount the speakers tight up under the wide (2') overhangs on my ranch style house. The chance of water blowing up under there is minimal. But just in case, I'm going to tilt the speakers back TOWARD THE HOUSE and DOWN. That way, there's almost no way weather can get to the drivers. The sound waves will bounce off the house and then spread broadly across the patios of the house. There is only like a 1" port and the metal grille is pretty impervious.

For about half or less the cost of 'exterior' speakers, I think it's worth a try.

Michael

Michael, to repeat myself, is the port exposed? As I said, wrens would set up a nest and be in heaven (at least until max spl).

My 2 cents - I have the SA2 and I am darn pleased. They sit inside a screened porch on the open gable end and broadcast out to the yard/pool. The porch does something unexpected and pleasing - the LF is very full and rich. It is much richer than when it was at the corner eaves. Without any real data, it must be something regarding the reinforcement from the volume of the big box formed by the porch. Not sure why, but it is very pleasing.

I have had the HS-2's for about three seasons now and think they are a wonderful outdoor speaker. They can play plenty loud on my 14' X 18' deck. They image well and even have decent bass for outdoors. I have powered them with anywhere from a 40 W receiver to a 100 W amp and have had no issues. I think your HK will power them nicely. Besides... you can't beat the price.[:)]

Michael

Michael, to repeat myself, is the port exposed? As I said, wrens would set up a nest and be in heaven (at least until max spl).

It's a teensy tiny port covered by perforated metal grille. The wrens would have to smaller than 1/16" to get in there.

I'm planning on powering my "outside" speakers with the Mulit Zone Amp in my Harman Kardon AVR-7300 and then maybe later use an A-BUS ...

Do you think there is any way lightening could hit one of these "outside" speakers and damage my AVR-7300 ???

OR... Do you think if water got into the speakers, the water could somehow short or damage the AVR-7300 ???

So what do you think?

If I accidentally short the speaker wires going to my Yamaha RXV2400, it shuts down immediately. Must be some self-protection circuit.

Don't know about lightening strikes. Maybe there's some electronic doo-dad you could put on the speaker lines to blow in that case. What's the chance that your house is going to be hit by lightening? WOuldn't the Aluminum guttering take the hit first?

M

The best solution if you are concerned about lightning strikes would be a pure grounding of the speaker system - this is usually quite difficult without the speaker being line powered. It is something that is somewhat common in outdoor stadiums, but may not be as easy with your setup. I agree with Coulter - use something else as a lightning rod.

Even with good grounding, the electrical surge from a lightning strike is tremendous and any in line attempt to bleed that surge to ground will only have a percentage of success.

FYI- I picked up my SA-1's for $99 brand new for the pair, at Ovation in INdy. They run deals on discontinued items every once in a while. Might be worth checking with them. As someone else mentioned, the bass response is tremendous on these things. I can't imagine what the SA-2 or 3's would sound like.