Looking for my 1st tube amp..

Clarence

I have browsed inventory at NOS Valves, and am taking the advice on the forum of getting a 2 channel amp that has been re-worked and can deliver 25-50 WPC of clean power. I do not have speakers to test them on, only a high-end HT system that I can run with.. (obviously I will not hook up the rears or center.) I have emailed Craig with no response. I would like a combo amp/tuner/eq? but am open to suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. (This statement didnt get me far in the Pro-Media thread) Maybe I should tell you that I am a girl???? (not really) [:(]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless you have the inclination, time and ability to do the work yourself, the advice regarding a rebuilt unit is well taken. Furthermore, Craig's technical expertise and ability are unquestioned. You would eliminate many unknowns by having him go through an amp you locate or getting one directly from him, or elsewhere, that he has already resurrected.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Be patient, he will eventually reply to your emails and/or phone calls.

Thanks guys... I figured this was a great place to post a "want ad"!! Does anybody foresee a problem using a tube amp to drive 2 Infinity Modulus satellites through a 300 watt powered sub until I can find some cornwalls? (I know they are not meant to be together... I would just not be able to sit and look at it and not try it out!!!) As I sit here and listen to Pink Floyd "Dogs" I can barely contain the excitment of experiencing it the way it was meant to be.... TUBED THROUGH SOME CORNWALLS!!! You know what they say... sometimes the anticipation is as good as the reward!!! Thank god I got my PM 4.1's fixed!!

Neil,

I just noticed you are local, (I live on Elizabeth Lake) how do you like the Cornwalls vs Heresy's? I am afraid that I will not be happy with the punch of the Heresy, but I don't want to overkill it right off the bat... (besides Cornwalls seem to be a 2-3k investment for a decent set) I looked at your profile, what is your local business? I myself am in the Automotive sector, mainly retail. I do wholesaling on the side, but mostly dealership computer systems.

By the way, Craig emailed me! He doesn't have much in the way of rebuilt amps for sale, but advises me to purchase one and send it to him. I still would like some suggestions for what to look for in a tubed amp/tuner combo. I placed my system in the profile section, I must say my favorite piece right now is the Tivoli Model One!! Best hundred dollars I have ever spent.....

post-21157-13819281744138_thumb.jpg

Cornwalls are one of my favorite speakers. Heresies are fine, but they can't compete with Cornwalls. Without a perfect space for Khorns, I'd take Cornwalls over Khorns.

My next project is to build a "Cornscala" variant. My Cornwalls were sold to a woman in Hope, AR and my son has the Heresies at school.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PILOT-602-STEREO-TUBE-RECEIVER-TUNER-AMP_W0QQitemZ5866548000QQcategoryZ50593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have browsed inventory at NOS Valves, and am taking the advice on the forum of getting a 2 channel amp that has been re-worked and can deliver 25-50 WPC of clean power. I do not have speakers to test them on, only a high-end HT system that I can run with.. (obviously I will not hook up the rears or center.) I have emailed Craig with no response. I would like a combo amp/tuner/eq? but am open to suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. (This statement didnt get me far in the Pro-Media thread) Maybe I should tell you that I am a girl???? (not really) [:(]

Here's a couple Scott 299's: 1 & 2

A couple Fisher 500C's 1 & 2

A Pilot 602

and a

Dynaco ST-70

I have a reworked Scott 222-C that I will be selling soon. The integrated amp was serviced about 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had the time to listen to it since the work was performed. If you're interested and can wait a couple of weeks I'll have the time to check it out. Price will be around $325 + shipping.

Thanks again for the help, everybody...

It seems that a Fisher 500 or Scott 299 seem to be most within reach for my new adventure. What are the pros thoughts? Any reasons why not to buy an integrated amp like the Fisher? Any reasons why to buy a separate amp and tuner? Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the knowledge being passed down..... My budget for this purchase is between $200 - $300 for the amp AND tuner, with a couple hundred left for NOS Valves.. I dont remember if I mentioned it or not, but I plan on using the amp to drive Cornwalls when the time is right. (read - have the $$) [:)]

The 299 and Cornwalls are a great combo. I've also heard the Fisher and while it sounds great too, I just prefer the Scott. You can always hook up that Tivoli to the 299 for your FM.

Thanks for the atta boy. I am sick for the Cornwalls that just hit ebay. I have made up my mind, its Scott 299c or d, and sending to Craig. Holler if you got one!!!!! You guys are great!!

I am so fing excited!!!

That tivoli has killer pull AM/FM...

Pic Removed

The 299 and Cornwalls are a great combo. I've also heard the Fisher and while it sounds great too, I just prefer the Scott. You can always hook up that Tivoli to the 299 for your FM.

Thanks for the atta boy. I am sick for the Cornwalls that just hit ebay. I have made up my mind, its Scott 299c or d, and sending to Craig. Holler if you got one!!!!! You guys are great!!

I am so fing excited!!!

That tivoli has killer pull AM/FM...

Ditto to what Gary says above.

My first leap into tubes was a Scott 299D rebuilt by NOSValves. I sold it to my neighbor, but often wish I still had it. Can't beat it for the money. Luckily, I can still listen to it periodically at his house, albeit on Heresy's.

Be forewarned, this can be a very expensive and addicting hobby.

Good luck!

Sold the Scott 299D to purchase the VRD Tube Monoblocs, right?

What speaker did you run with it? Will the Cornwall accept the 40-50 WPC and scream Steely Dan and Chicago at me?? Or would I be fine with a 299 a or b........ Ahhh the old WPC question.....

Whaddua Think????

I ran Heresy, Cornwall and La Scala's with it. IMO, any of the Scott 299 series integrated amps, be it an A, B, C or D will sound great with Cornwalls. Sure, a 299C or D will scream Steely Dan, and probably blow you right out of the room if that's what you're trying to achieve. They will easily produce in excess of 105-110DB on Cornwalls.

Yes I sold my 299D, but I didn't need to in order to buy my VRD's. I am still sorry that I sold it. Should have kept it for a second system. I also sold my Scott 272, which I never really liked. I think the 299D sounded much, much better for half the cost of the 272.

Many here will echo my sentiments. VRD's are great amps, but remember, they are over 4X the price of a nice rebuilt Scott 299. Not to mention you'll also need a preamp with tube monoblocs, so tack on at least six hundred more. Once you achieve what would be perceived as quality tube sound, each small incremental step up the ladder can be VERY costly. Trust me, I know.

I am going to throw in a different suggestion... you can pick up a used Consonance Opera (M100) on audiogon all the time and they are very reasonable and will not need rebuilt. They are easily upgraded if you want to, allow you to sample a variety of tubes and provide very good sound and good power (40 - 50 wpc). They are an integrated and provide 3 inputs. I have both one of those and a modifed upgraded vintage amp; they are both very good and the Opera (also available as a DIY simplified version) has received hundreds if not thousands of very favorable reviews. I love vintage but there is something to be said for purchasing an amp and being able to use it without needing to rebuild it, pay shipping repeatedly, or worry about its longevity.

Take a look

Anarchist, thanks for the heads up. That seems like a heck of a deal at $700. A quick read of the Agon listing and related company link and I come away with the feeling that it has 3 line stage inputs. Is that correct? I don't see any mention of a phono stage. The only drawback would be if a person looking for an integrated had a TT to run.

The convenience of a remote for volume alone might make a separate phono stage coupled with the M100 an attractive option over a rebuilt vintage unit.

I have a 299a (17 wpc) that was rebuilt by Craig, and currently use it with vinyl only and my La Scala's. I have never had the volume over 6.5, and it will literally blow you out of the room (about 105db). Now granted, the LS is a little more efficient than the CW, but you won't have any trouble getting the volume you want from these little beasts.

BTW, my VRD's and BBX are arriving tomorrow on the same FedEx truck! Fng-A Bubba!!!

The Scott will be moving to my garage to drive my Heresies.

Mike

Yes, there are 3 line inputs & no integrated phono. The same company offers a tubed phono stage with separate power supply but rarely do they show up. I myself plan on adding a AES PH1 to the mix. This amp is fantastic for the money and really produces. It is now my main system and the vintage holds down bedroom duties. Would I change it? Only if I went to Mark III's or VRD's and a Blueberry Xtreme.