Warm up time?

Chicago_Pete

I find that with a BBX + 2 pCATs + tubed CDP takes about 1 hour from dead cold to completely settle in and open up. I generally leave the small tubes on and the amps off, so I turn the amps on ahead of listening. Cold tube gear tends to sound 'drifty' and a tad opaque. md

Yup.

I just fire them up and start listening. It takes 45 minutes to a hour for everything to sound best anyway, so I just get a signal going through them.

I dunno, I just don't like a tube amp sitting there idling, I guess I'm weird about that.

I usually fire up the amps about 45 minutes before I head to the music room..the tube CD player and tube preamp are always in standby mode. Even with them warmed up, I think sometimes I hear a difference after music is played thru them for a half an hour or so. Maybe it's the voices in my head..who knows?

So let me get this straight...it takes about an hour for one's ears to

tune out the sound of the tubes? Sorry, couldn't resist the cheap jab

[:P][:D]

Re: keeping SS on all the time....they take a lot less time to warm up

and depending on the amplifier topology, you might be surprised how

much current some of them draw when idling.

So let me get this straight...it takes about an hour for one's ears to tune out the sound of the tubes? Sorry, couldn't resist the cheap jab [:P][:D]

Re: keeping SS on all the time....they take a lot less time to warm up and depending on the amplifier topology, you might be surprised how much current some of them draw when idling.

LOL,They sound really good warming up then WOW its like over the top!!!

Greg

Does leaving an SS amp on all the time hurt anything other than my house's electric bill?

My system is in my basement which is usually very cold and over the past couple days I left my HK 730 on overnight and after listening to it for a while it seemed to have a warmer, more natural sound. This is also the only time any amount of warmth could be felt on the top of it, even though it wasn't anywhere close to as hot as my Sony receiver used to get.

Some people argue that SS devices should always be left on (less expanding and contracting with changes in temperature)

Other just as smart people claim that SS devices last longer when turned on and off

I don't know how I feel on the subject [;)]