RF-7 questions

wuzzzer

Can anyone tell me at what frequency the 2.8 ohm minimum impedance of RF-7s is?

Also, I know that the advice is to have speakers about 2 feet or so from a side or back wall. Well, my long narrow basement doesn't really allow for that. To widen the soundstage, would it be ok to have the outer edge of each RF-7 up against the side wall, toed in directly at my listening point? Right now the back of each speaker is about 6" from the wall.

Here's how everything is set up currently:

post-18173-1381928177939_thumb.jpg

It's been a long time since I was told this -- but I believe dips in impedance are 40, 100, and 10,000. I'm not sure which one is the lowest. I wouldn't worry about it, many run them with SET amps, and I myself ran them for almost a year with a 15 watt push-pull tube amp-- and they sounded fabulous. I've thrown several amps on them that shouldn't of sounded good -- but they did.

Get them as far apart as you can -- and like you said -- toe them in towards you. To get them dialed in you'll need some acoustic treatment on the side walls about two feet forward of each speaker.

Nice setup btw.

Get them as far apart as you can -- and like you said -- toe them in towards you. To get them dialed in you'll need some acoustic treatment on the side walls about two feet forward of each speaker.

Nice setup btw.

Thanks Dean. I was curious as to if there was a dip below the 100hz point to help me adjust my subwoofer crossover.

Man, I never realized how much higher I needed to turn up the gain on my sub to compensate for the sensitivity of these speakers! Before when I had my Bose and/or Definitive Technology I had the gain at the 8-9 o'clock position which was about 20-25%. I kept thinking that my RF-7s were causing a phase cancellation with my sub since I could barely hear it and since my sub doesn't have phase adjustments I experimented with putting it a few different places.

So last night I unhooked my sub and rain the RF-7s straight from the amp. Sounded almost exactly the same as with my sub! I then noticed that the gain was still down low on my sub! Turned it up to between the 11-12 o'clock position and now it sounds perfect. Adjusted the sub's crossover to about 65hz and that setting seems to be perfect to reduce the boominess of the sub at higher crossover levels.

Here's how they're set up in the pic:

------------------------

| |--------

| rf7 tv rf7 |---------

| |---------

| |stairway

|

| me

|

| |

| |

|

| bar

--------- --------

office

door

Are you talking about setting them up like this?:

------------------------

| |-----------

| rf7 |-----------

| |-----------

| | stairway

| tv me

|

|

| rf7 |

| |

|

| bar

--------- --------

office

door

If so, my wife didn't like how they were set up like that when I had my RF-25s. Although, she did say that I could do whatever I wanted with the basement and she was free to decorate/design the rest of the house...[6]

One problem with that is that there's an opening to our stairway going upstairs and to the other side of the basement right behind the 'me' in the 2nd diagram. You can see part of it in this pic:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/685360/PostAttachment.aspx

And from the sitting position in diagram #2 there is a bar to the left of 'me' so I couldn't move the system to that side of the room.

Well, I did have my RF-25s set up like that for a few days when I first got them.

The wife is going to be out of town for a week soon...maybe I'll have to do a little experimenting while she's gone! [6]

It would be nice to be able to spread them apart wide and not having nearly any side wall early reflections to deal with.