All-Time Greatest Guitarist

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good point-- Page was incredible. Probably the best composer producer guitar player of the 70s. And I love that music. But English blues was derived if not ultimately copied from American blues.

Whole Lotta Love was a huge rip off of a Muddy Waters song. Many other English blues songs were copied often without credit to the composer. Listen to a Willie Dixon or Bo Diddley compilation and you'll hear alot of 70s rock classics that merely updated the sound and changed the title and lyrics.

Page was creative --gifted. But I hear him now on that Zep DVD from a couple years ago, and his playing had a sameness to it. Damn good, but live his sound was droning. He does sound like a dinosaur live.

If anything, he was unparalleled in production of his sound--those studio recordings rock like heck--

Eddy Van Halen was alot more compelling than Page, if you're talking rock guitarists, though-- He was so much better, he made Page a dinosaur as soon as he played a few notes-- and no blues ripoffs to boot--

"lookit all the Songs Paige ripped off from blues artists ....."

The Stones are pretty good at that too.

You could say that about all the blues/rockers from GB. They all admired the old blues guys and played their songs. They even tried to cop their sounds and were unable to get them. They usually only had Gibson guitars and Marshall/Vox/Hiwatt amps that used EL34 or EL84, while all the american amps (ones they really wanted) used 6L6/6V6 tubes. They were FRUSTRATED! That's why they had that low slung, mad-hit that chord-look and forever molded the hard rock look and feel.

Jimmy PAGE

It is 5 am here in upstate New York, I am reading the forums, and lo and behold this subject comes up. Thank you for this chance to jump into this subject. Let's get one thing out of the way first; JIMI HENDRIX was (is) the standard set for the rest.Really, to pick one is kind of foolish. The best I have seen is Jeff Beck, saw a double bill of Jeff Beck, and Stevie rae Vaughan back in '89 before SVR's timely accident. BECK does it all, and he does it his way. How can one not consider the 3 former Yardbirds; Beck, Clapton, and Paige? Now let's muddy up the mix with Santana, Alvin Lee, and Ritchie Blackmore.
Now let's touch on DUAL lead guitar teams; Duane Allman and Richard Betts; Keith Richards and Mick Taylor (sweet Mick), Ronnie Wood is good too, Clapton and Duane , not to shabby. How about Steve Gaines, the best guitar player Skynyrd ever had, and Allen Collins. I could go on forever, but I won't bore you with my rambling, and give you guys a chance to answer this. Before I go just think about two more off the top of my grey head Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani. Angus Young isn't to bad either.GOD I LOVE the GUITAR, and the players who make them sing; LONG LIVE ROCK!!!

Not being limited to classic rock, I'd have to say my favorite overall guitarist is Lee Ritenour, but just about any of the Romero family does it for me in the classics and Spanish genre. As a diehard Detroiter, my favorite is the Motor City Madman, Ted Nugent. I wonder if we can get Ted to go hunting with dubya and Cheney?

Good thread Jeff. I have pondered this topic for years myself.

My favorite instrument is the guitar.

My friends and I have always tried to analize the entire package. Not just playing, tone, or speed, but writting, producing, and recording as well.

Look past the bizarre lyrics and just listen to the music with some of the most talented guitar playing you will ever find. My vote goes too.

Frank Zappa

In defense of Paige's not being worth a flip live, concerts are for a few hours and then, you have to remember what you heard. Recorded music stays with you, and you get to listen to it as often as you wish for years and years. As fars as that goes, what they recorded is much more important to me.

And how could anyone pull off Paige live? Not even Paige himself could. There were too many parts. That "disappointing void" you heard was the fact that probably about 3 guitars were missing from the live version.

Now, if you want to talk about some guys who can pull off a major feat live. That'd have to be Rush. My God! Only 3 guys, and all that music..... Lifeson is great. Peart is great. But Lee? Wow! The dude plays bass, sings, plays moog pedals and plays keyboards all at the same time. Amazing!

Hands down...Phil Keaggy...one of his great albums "Lights of Madrid" is my avatar.

Nobody plays more styles effectively as this guy. No matter album you buy, he continues to suprise. ( He has over 50 records released by major record labels..many other indie releases...) From Classic rock to jazz funk to pop to Beatlesque sounds to acoustic fingerstyle, this guy has done it all and at amazing levels. Check him out.

In defense of Paige's not being worth a flip live, concerts are for a few hours and then, you have to remember what you heard. Recorded music stays with you, and you get to listen to it as often as you wish for years and years. As fars as that goes, what they recorded is much more important to me.

And how could anyone pull off Paige live? Not even Paige himself could. There were too many parts. That "disappointing void" you heard was the fact that probably about 3 guitars were missing from the live version.

Now, if you want to talk about some guys who can pull off a major feat live. That'd have to be Rush. My God! Only 3 guys, and all that music..... Lifeson is great. Peart is great. But Lee? Wow! The dude plays bass, sings, plays moog pedals and plays keyboards all at the same time. Amazing!

I too am a Paige fan. However, I think you're missing the point Jeff. Those recordings you hear are the result of many "takes". While I'm sure there are artists out there who lay something down on the first take, they are the exception, not the rule. And the fact that Paige's live playing is what it is, it's a safe bet he did many takes before he got it right. The dude or dudette that can git 'er done on stage as well as in a studio speaks more towards their total talent IMHO.

codhead said: "You just don't see many artists that can pretty much reinvent guitar playing, and make it sound like a whole new instrument. Guess it's all in how you define "great".

Well - in that regard, Stanley Jordan would have to be given credit for such a thing. Watching him play is simply unbelieveable. One guy is playing one guitar, but two guitar sounds emerge. Unreal.

I like what Eric Clapton said about SRV.....that many guitar players (him included) can take off on a riff, but at some point, they have to come to a stop to "collect their thoughts" and then they can go off again. But Stevie had the ability to just let it flow endlessly and seemlessly. And I think Eric knows a bit about guitar playing. [:)]

While I can appreciate this thread, all one has to do is watch the Eric Clapton's Crossroads DVD and it becomes painfully obvious that picking an all time "greatest" is simply not possible.

Tom

I too am a Paige fan. However, I think you're missing the point Jeff. Those recordings you hear are the result of many "takes". While I'm sure there are artists out there who lay something down on the first take, they are the exception, not the rule. And the fact that Paige's live playing is what it is, it's a safe bet he did many takes before he got it right. The dude or dudette that can git 'er done on stage as well as in a studio speaks more towards their total talent IMHO.

codhead said: "You just don't see many artists that can pretty much reinvent guitar playing, and make it sound like a whole new instrument. Guess it's all in how you define "great".

Well - in that regard, Stanley Jordan would have to be given credit for such a thing. Watching him play is simply unbelieveable. One guy is playing one guitar, but two guitar sounds emerge. Unreal.

I like what Eric Clapton said about SRV.....that many guitar players (him included) can take off on a riff, but at some point, they have to come to a stop to "collect their thoughts" and then they can go off again. But Stevie had the ability to just let it flow endlessly and seemlessly. And I think Eric knows a bit about guitar playing. [:)]

While I can appreciate this thread, all one has to do is watch the Eric Clapton's Crossroads DVD and it becomes painfully obvious that picking an all time "greatest" is simply not possible.

Tom

Paige is amazing no doubt, but Albert King was playing and inventing electric guitar before both Clapton and Paige. That said I love then all but in terms of creative influences Albert King is up there well before them. Stevie himself mentions Albert King while he was still alive. Great Rock guitar goes back to the Blues IMO, the rest can flame on.

My two cents;

1. Paige

2. Peter Green (THE GREEN GOD)

3. SRV

4. Clapton

5. Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs)

6. Jeff Beck (Funny how I named 3 guitarists that were in one band, The Yardbirds!)

7. Albert Lee

8. Lindsey Buckingham

9. Brian May

10. James Burton

Maybe not the best but my favorites to listen to.