All-Time Greatest Guitarist

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 5 am here in upstate New York, I am reading the forums, and lo and behold this subject comes up. Thank you for this chance to jump into this subject. Let's get one thing out of the way first; JIMI HENDRIX was (is) the standard set for the rest.Really, to pick one is kind of foolish. The best I have seen is Jeff Beck, saw a double bill of Jeff Beck, and Stevie rae Vaughan back in '89 before SVR's timely accident. BECK does it all, and he does it his way. How can one not consider the 3 former Yardbirds; Beck, Clapton, and Paige? Now let's muddy up the mix with Santana, Alvin Lee, and Ritchie Blackmore.

Now let's touch on DUAL lead guitar teams; Duane Allman and Richard Betts; Keith Richards and Mick Taylor (sweet Mick), Ronnie Wood is good too, Clapton and Duane , not to shabby. How about Steve Gaines, the best guitar player Skynyrd ever had, and Allen Collins. I could go on forever, but I won't bore you with my rambling, and give you guys a chance to answer this. Before I go just think about two more off the top of my grey head Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani. Angus Young isn't to bad either.GOD I LOVE the GUITAR, and the players who make them sing; LONG LIVE ROCK!!!

Re: All-Time Greatest Guitarist

I thought this thread was about ONE greatest. Any one can read through their albums and name a bunch of axers they like.! C'mon

It's PAGE, Jimmy Page...!!

Geeshhh.......

Yeah its Page, when you listen to him you are mesmerized. Yet I don't know if I could settle on just Page, I mean Robert Fripp was very innovative, creative, and a technical beast. Music is so encompassingly wide; there is room for Hendrix, Fripp, Page, Vaughn and others we love to listen to and be amazed by.

Yngvie Malmsteen - Insanely fast no one, not even his keyboardist could keep up.

While I am not a dedicated speed metal enthusiast, these are a few the fellows for whom I have a strong affinity for their playing:

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Randy Rhodes

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson

Eric Clapton

Buddy Guy

Jeff Healey

Stanley Jordan

Al Dimeola....

and the list goes on.

Michael, Michael, Michael, how can you say Steve Vai does not play with any soul ? I would have given Vai my vote for #1 greatest player. But his vote would go to Zappa. I have met Steve in person and have seen him live numerous times and he playes with so much emotion you can feel it flow through every note. He's the most soulfull white dude out there. Listen to For The Love Of God and you will understand.

Jeff

Wow lots of great guitarist mentioned here but there is only one guitar

god that creates emotion like know one else and he was mentioned by

someone earlier in this post.

That guitarist is the one and only.......David Gilmour

And I am not alone:

David Gilmour has been voted "Fender's Greatest Player" in a poll published in this month's 'Guitarist' magazine in the UK.

The readers poll is part of a

huge celebration in the issue, of the guitar manufacturer's 60th

birthday, taking a look at the ingredients that turned a pioneering US

guitar maker into rock'n'roll's greatest brand.

David appears ahead of such

celebrated musicians as Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Keith

Richards, and Eric Clapton. The magazine comments: "Gilmour has

achieved what once seemed impossible: he's usurped Jimi Hendrix as your

favourite Fender player ever. His forthcoming solo album 'On An Island'

will offer a rare taste of new material, while his gliding, shining

playing with Pink Floyd not only stands the test of time, it seems to

become ever more popular.."

The February issue - number 273 - of Guitarist went on sale in the UK on Wednesday 25th January

Scooter I agree that Gilmour is great, but you have to realize that most emotional is subjective to one's own experience. This poll was after all a British one. Give me good ole R&B from down this way, it speaks to our roots. I like them both, but I could listen to SRV for a far longer period just because of this.

Hey Rockbobmel; Didn't I state right at the start Hendrix was the standard? So, I did state his was tops. Why do you say anyone can read the back of an albumn for names of guitarist? I have been listening to rock guitars for almost 45 years. I can tell by listening as to whom I'm hearing. To pick just ONE guitar player out of so many great ones isn't fair. It becomes more of a personal taste type of question, than actual fact. What Les Paul can't play? Many, very many guitarist have been quoted as he saying, Hendrix was the best. Dave Mason, Pete Townsend, and Jeff Beck have stated this fact. There is a story about Beck calling Clapton and saying they might need to get a new job.. Anyway, what a question this has become. Music was (is) made to ENJOY, not argue over who is the best guitarist. I'd Love to change the world, but I don't know what to do!!

Hey Rockbobmel; Didn't I state right at the start Hendrix was the standard? So, I did state his was tops. Why do you say anyone can read the back of an albumn for names of guitarist? I have been listening to rock guitars for almost 45 years. I can tell by listening as to whom I'm hearing. To pick just ONE guitar player out of so many great ones isn't fair. It becomes more of a personal taste type of question, than actual fact. What Les Paul can't play? Many, very many guitarist have been quoted as he saying, Hendrix was the best. Dave Mason, Pete Townsend, and Jeff Beck have stated this fact. There is a story about Beck calling Clapton and saying they might need to get a new job.. Anyway, what a question this has become. Music was (is) made to ENJOY, not argue over who is the best guitarist. I'd Love to change the world, but I don't know what to do!!

Huh????

Many fine (rock and blues) guitarists mentioned, and I'd still have to

say that Andres

Segovia is the "All-Time Greatest Guitarist". Before Segovia,

the guitar was just a quaint folk instrument. He is the Frank

Lloyd Wright, Bobby Jones, Vince Lombardi, Clarence Darrow, Ansel

Adams, Babe Ruth, Enzo Ferrari, Albert Einstein, Roger Bannister,

Moses, and Chuck Yeager of the guitar.

post-17394-1381928182776_thumb.jpg

Stevie Ray Vaughan, in a class all by himself then Rory Gallagher Jimi Hendrix, incredable Clapton, in his cream and Derek years, Paige, sounded great on studio albums, not so great live, He'd be kind of suckin, then would do something real sweet and make it work. Quirky, but I like that. Jerry Garcia, don't make me laugh! Just kidding, but not one of my favorites