What's your forte?

maxg

Spent Sunday at a friends moving his forte's around the living room trying to get the best sound out of them. The room is an L shaped nightmare with some really truely bizzare accoustic effects.

Finally we managed to locate them at the short wall at the top of the L and get excellent dynamics in the sweet spot with reaonsable sound extending down the length of the room. Now all he has to do is move one radiator, put up a few paintings, fit the carpet, put some tiles on the ceiling, get new curtains (thick heavy ones) and move the 2 seater settee somewhere else.

Well at least his wife is happy with the new speaker positions - they are out of her way).

By the by I actually go the chance for the first time to listen to these speakers. WOW!!

If you ever want a speaker to play good ole rock and roll, or anything with guitar these things love it!

Dire Straits Private investigations probably never sounded better (and I had thought it sounded good on the Heresy's).

One sad thing for me however, they make a real mess of classical music. Listening to Vivaldi I was hard pushed to identify the violins and then the only thought that sprung to mind was "Who tuned that instrument?" Just didnt capture the thing at all so it looks like I am stuck with the Heresy's a while longer.

Unless of course I can talk that neighbour of mine into off-loading those Belles.......Wink.gif

I must agree, those Forte's thrive on rock and roll, guitar and jazz! I never had the chance to listen to them with classical, but not every speaker sounds right with classical. That is what I like about my Refernce series though. They sound good with all music, except they just lack the "slam" effect of good loud rock and roll.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

Ahem Jeff

The Reference series have plenty of slam,just try them with a Bryston,Krell,Celeste or big Carver(yeah yeah the amp thing again).

With a reciever the Reference series lack the punch you may get with the classic Klipsch.With a muscle amp the Reference series hit you like a ton of bricks.

The RF-5's have plenty of slam thank you.Now when the RF-7's arrive(sometime next week)I will pair them with two of my largest amps.I doubt the slam will not be there if full effect.Well its wait and hear.I'll give a full report.

One thing I agree on the Classic Klipsch have loads of slam.What they lack is resolution of fine detail(detail I can hear with my Dynaudio Contour,great for any music).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I HEAR IT LOUD AN CLEAR DEAN

The RC-7 is a real five star performer,when I unpacked this beast I was thinking...WHERE IS THE TWEETER MEMBRANE?

The sound is someting else,the tweeter performance is top notch.Not agressive at all!The RC-7 can kick and break the walls down before it loses grip with music or movies.

I am sold to Klipsch

Oh yes about the 200W is 200W thing.Now you know 200W is not always a true blue 200W.The B&K will make the RC-7 sing as never before.

I always say better amps will bring all the goodness of any speakers.And the Celeste W5 and Krell FPB600 make even the Klipsch SB-2 sound damn good!

Most would be surprised how good the small SB-2 sounds with quality amplification.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

I have Forte I's and H II's. In the past I checked the specs and performed a visual on both pair. I seem to recall they use the same mid and tweeter drivers/horns and have the same crossover points. I could be wrong but they sound similar (at least to me) excluding the bottom end. Maybe there's a big difference between Heresy I's & II's.?

Catfish

This message has been edited by catfish1966 on 11-08-2001 at 03:15 AM