HDTV - WOW!

jdm56

OK, I'm gonna sound like the biggest hick there ever was, but having just upgraded to HDTV, all I can say is WOW! This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I could sit and stare at it all day! Is this a typical reaction? I have seen it in the stores for a few years, but golly gee willickers, having it at home is like a window to the world! My set-up is nothing special, but it's got me hip-mo-tized!

Gotta go. "Buggin' With Ruud" is comin' on!

NO WAY!!! It is VERY cool and in many ways, one of the biggest milestones in your home entertainment career.

We went from a 32" Sharp tube to a 52" Mitsubishi projector. Night an day.

On HD channels, it is just a whole new world.

One warning - with proper calibration, it will look WAY better than it

did in the store. That usually means turning the brightness down

(ours is 1/4 of the way from the bottom of the scale), turning the

sharpness down (HD is plenty sharp), as well as toning everything else

down. Your goal when watching a HD movie is you should believe

you are watching film projected onto a screen, and thats what I get at

home.

I agree with kenratboy. Get yourself a setup disc like AVIA or even the basic THX setup that all Lucasfilm DVDs have and adjust your TVs various settings and you'll enjoy the picture even more.

The best picture is if you can watch something animated like Shrek or Shark Tale.

OK, I'm gonna sound like the biggest hick there ever was, but having just upgraded to HDTV, all I can say is WOW! This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I could sit and stare at it all day! Is this a typical reaction? I have seen it in the stores for a few years, but golly gee willickers, having it at home is like a window to the world! My set-up is nothing special, but it's got me hip-mo-tized!

Gotta go. "Buggin' With Ruud" is comin' on!

Wait 'til you turn it on........its even more amazing[6]

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago on Discovery HD on the Great Barrier Reef. It was nothing short of spectacular. It was the next best thing to actually scuba diving on the reef itself. Wish I had a DVR. A program like that one would easily sell HD technology to anyone that may be on the fence.

Some pretty good shows and concerts on HDNet too.

Make sure your settings are at least 720P or 1080i. On your dvd player too if it will upconvert... Denon 2910 will and OMG now your movies will just look as awesome too.

If your a sports fan... a little late, but NFL Football is the ultimate sport on HDTV. Replays of scoring drives in slow motion!

NASCAR the sound matches the engines roar...

Just welcome to the whole experience... HD net.. Discovery Channels. HBO SHOWTIME in HD.. you may even find your self watching some strange stuff just because it looks pretty. I watched a 2 hr documentary on the SE Asian Islands..... I felt I was there... could almost smell the food, shot in High Def the sound was incredible and OMG talk about beautiful looking ladies, too!!! OMG!!! Looking is ok right?? WOOOOWZA!!! Brooke Burke ??

One thing you might find, is some actors and actresses are not so hot up rrrreeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy close..LOL.

Nice to see a bad make up job, or that they are just human with imperfections too. hahahaaha

Make sure you have a HDMI, digital or optical out to take full advantage of the surround sound too. A "RCA" + - plugs will not do it!

Bill H. wrote the following post at 02-18-2006 8:17 AM:

JD,
Is this the TV you purchased?

---------------------------------------------

No Bill, but I believe this is it. It's a 47" Samsung. Pretty humble by HDTV standards, but I'm thrilled anyway! I got it from Sears on close-out. Too good a deal to pass up. The extra depth of the CRT design is not really a problem for me due to the 18" deep niche in my front wall. It fits really well and only protrudes about five inches past the wall.

Calibration has been mentioned. I think I will get the Sound&Vision disc. It is supposed to be pretty good from what I can gather. And quite a bit cheaper than some others.

This set has a DVI input, but my receiver doesn't. Besides, I just read that only digital sets benefit from digital connections, so I guess I'll stick with component video unless someone convinces me otherwise.[8-)]

jdm56,

Sadly your Picture did not post. You need to save the picture on your computer

(my pictures). Then when you post , go down to the area maked file attachment -

browse. click on browse - open your pictures (where ever you saved them) , click

on the picture and it will download to the browse section. Then just click Post!

Do you have the Model # by chance?

wait 'till you see the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini COntest or something similar. You can see even the lightest and fairest of peach fuzz on these girls. Talk about golly gee willickers.....you can just about smell them.

LMAO[:D] That's classic......have you been hanging out with Robert Duvall? As in "I love the look of peach fuzz in the morning?" Hahahahaha[:D]

How about this one from Full Metal Jacket:

"Ann Margaret and entourage are due here next week. I want someone to be there on the airfield and stick with her for a couple of days."

"Colour me gone," Joker says

"You're not a photographer. Klammer, you take it."

"Aye-aye, sir."

"Get me some good low angle stuff. Don't make it too obvious but I wanna see fur, and early morning dew."

For better or worse, the arrival of twins made me rethink priorities, and we got out of HT. Sold most of my HT stuff, and now enjoy movies in 2 channel.

Well, my 20 year old RCA Colortrack is starting to make "mechanical sounds" that I just don't think TV's should make. So, with the funds that we got back on the sale of the HT stuff, and my tax return, I went out TV shopping. The problem was, all the stores now have the HT sets on prominent display, and once you see the picture an HT set is capable of, you just can't turn around and purchase a conventional CRT set.

So, this weekend, this is what I purchased. It's a Hitachi 51" projection CRT set. I know the DLP sets are all the rage right now, and this is kind of a "last year's model", but the price was right (just over $1k), and they'll deliver it and set it up this Friday. Its also got the HDMI hookup to make things easy. Compared to the other sets in the store costing a bunch more, this one had a nice bright picture that looked clear as a bell to me, for $1 - 2K less.

Sorta makes me wish I kept all my HT stuff! [:(]

post-8406-13819281858532_thumb.jpg

Since adding the HD tuner card for the Super bowl, I have been watching HD more and more. It is stunning to see what native 720p looks like on a 108" screen! Well wall actually, when we get the screen it will be even better! There is just something cool about seeing a closeup of someone 4X life size to bring out any little flaw in makeup or skin![:D]

Don't be scared to see if 1080i looks better too. I know 720p the p = progressive and means everything on... but sometimes shot in 1080i i=interlaced on cable and it will look fantastic maybe even better? try it either way.

HDTV I believe is 720p for most people by definition.. Not all channels are created equal too. Just enjoy it and experiment too to what YOU like. Def buy a setup disk to tweak it. I also have a DVD player that will up convert it also a must, like a Denon 2910. I highly suggest a deck that will do this too.

I have a 7210 Infocus DLP projector on a 106" Day Lite Cinema Tech screen, Black velvet sides. It looks pretty fantastic to me, in the 1080i settings.

The Olympic channel in High Def..OMG has been stunning. The audio placements Dolby Digital have been 1st rate for sure!!!