Post your favorite well-recorded CDs

wuzzzer

Last week I bought Neil Young's Prarie Wind - the 2 disc set with the 96/24 high resolution recording on the 2nd disc. It is THE BEST sounding disc I have heard in a long time! I cannot quit playing it. I am going to get his greatest hits 2 disc set this week as it has the same 96/24 recording[:D] on disc 2.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a previous reader mentioned Stones 'sister morphine'.

Much of their catalog is undergoing remastering. A while back I purchased these:

It's Only Rock and Roll (with Mick Taylor)

Beggar's Banquet (Brian Jones masterpiece)

Sticky Fingers (cover by Warhol, guitar by Taylor)

For me, this was a great time period for the Stones, before the really heavy drugs set in. Brian Jones' sitar, maracas, and other instrumentation is crystal clear and very cleanly mixed. The interplay of Richard's and Taylor's guitars (often acoustics) on the other two CD's is also very clean. All instruments cut through the dirt and horrible echos of the previous pressings.

I'd recommend any of this reissued Stones catalog, as well as your faves from Led Zeppelin, now that their entire catalog has been beautifully remastered by Jimmy Page himself.

Michael

Now were on to something; Any Rolling Stones cd with MICK TAYLOR, they are all worth owning. It was the bands most productive period. From the first albumn, "Get Your Ya-Ya's Out", "Let it Bleed","Sticky Fingers","Exile on Main Street","Goats Head Soup",and sadly the last one,"It's Only Rock and Roll", everyone classics.Twin,"In Your Face Guitars", to beautiful Mick Taylor solo's. All have been remastered for quality sound you expect from the Stones. Anyone wanting great sounding cd's will not be dissapointed. It's the songs that didn't become hits that are the best. I have always felt the Stones were under rated as musicians, and Mick Taylor never got the praise he so rightfully deserves.THESE ARE GREAT SOUNDING CD'S.

Michael,

How do the remastered Zep CDs compare to the original LPs? I have all of the LPs and the 4-CD box set (with the crop circles on the cover), but I haven't listened to any of the remastered CDs.

Seadog, Pagey continued the remastering efforts of the 4CD set on the 2 CD box set, which meant that each Zep song had been lovingly remixed. Then the songs were put back into original order and released as the final box- which contained each individual 'album' in running order. Those CD's are now available separately.

In other words, it's the same remastering efforts, whether you buy 'The Rain Song' as part of the 4CD Box set, or the remastered CD from the fourth album.

What I did, since I had both box sets, was to copy each of those 6 disks onto my iMac at regular AAC speed (non MP3 compression), and reorder them back into standard 'album' running order and then reburn my favorite albums as the 'remastered versions'. There was no need to repurchase say Physical Grafitti in order to have the remastered version at home. (also have a gold record of that one on my wall!)

Many of the songs display much increased clarity. Bonzo's drumming for instance is much more forward and the kick punchier. It always seems to me that these efforts reduce tape noise, some inadventant echo/reverb, and perserve the 'space' that each instrument takes up in the mix.

Michael

Current well recorded favorites

DeeDee Bridgewater: J'ai Deux Amours

Dire Straits SACD/CD - Brothers In Arm - remastered 5.1/stereo

Patricia Barber - Companion on MFSL SACD

Ry Cooder: Chavez Ravine

Kate Bush: Aerial

There's many more but thats five in regular rotation right now

Current well recorded favorites

DeeDee Bridgewater: J'ai Deux Amours

Dire Straits SACD/CD - Brothers In Arm - remastered 5.1/stereo

Patricia Barber - Companion on MFSL SACD

Ry Cooder: Chavez Ravine

Kate Bush: Aerial

There's many more but thats five in regular rotation right now

I have to agree the Patricia Barber MFSL SACD is a great recording but I just can't listen to it. It's just not my cup of tea. The first $15 offer takes it. Shipping included. It's a $30 CD thats been played twice, if that.

Gary-- What the hay, I'll take it. I've never heard her stuff. You want paypal, or a personal check wrapped in an LP? (no J. Nabors, I promise)

Gregg,

I'll pm you my address and you can send a personal check. I'll mail it to you tomorrow. I'm guessing you still don't have the other package I sent? I wasn't kidding when I said it could take a while!

My pick for all round best recording is Joan Osborne's 'Relish' from

about 10 years ago for quality of voice, instrumentation and

'listenability'. Add to that, Jennifer Warne's collection of

Leonard Cohen songs 'Famous Blue Raincoat' from about twenty years ago.

I find female vocals really test the meddle of a speaker (speaking of

which), I listened to the live tracks from Pink Floyd's 'Ummagumma'

again the other day and found myself cranking it. And then

there's the Yes album and 90125.

Hamish

Gary-- What the hay, I'll take it. I've never heard her stuff. You want paypal, or a personal check wrapped in an LP? (no J. Nabors, I promise)

Gregg,

I'll pm you my address and you can send a personal check. I'll mail it to you tomorrow. I'm guessing you still don't have the other package I sent? I wasn't kidding when I said it could take a while!

Gary, surprised you did not enjoy it - Gregg - don't know what your pref is in music - but she has a great sultry voice - plays a mean B3/Piano and has a killer band. Definitely a reference recording that is also quite enjoyable to MY ears - awesome percussion, guitar and bass too!