Question about vintage hk receivers

pierceb

I have an HK630 that has the signature scratchy volume/balance pots and switches as well as some burned out light bulbs. I was wondering if someone knows the part number(s) for the light bulbs as well as a good contact cleaner to use for the pots and switches. I believe one can get both bulbs and cleaner at partsexpress??

I know there have been some good threads on cleaning and maintain the HKx30 receivers in the past, but the search function on this board is useless, and trying to find them has given me a headache. If anyone has a link to these threads, it would be greatly appreciated if you could reply.

-PB

Cleaner from radio shack or parts express will work unplug spray in the little hole on the pot. with reciever cover off some kina hard to get to but spray and rotate let dry over night.Bulbs can be ordered from parts express dont know part number right off can get it for you soon.Rick

Well, unfortunately Radio Shack seems to have called it day up here in Canada, but I did find another brand of contact cleaner. I tried it and the scratchiness in the pots and switches are pretty well gone. Not sure if it works as well as DeoxIT, but I'll try it for a while.

As far as the light bulbs are concerned, I need a light for the "STEREO" indicator (at least I think I do). This light is like not the tubular, fuse-like, bulbs that exists behind the panel. It looks more like an LED light (I know it is not LED though). Does anyone know the type of bulb required (i.e wattage, amperage), as it does not say anything on the bulb itself. The STEREO indicator worked when I first purchased the 630, but it doen't work anymore. All the connections preceding the light appear to be intact, and the filaments in the bulb don't appear to be broken, but for some reason the light doesn't work anymore. Maybe there is another culprit?

-PB

The Rat Shack tuner cleaner will kill the sensitivity of the tuner! Don't use it or anything similar to clean the tuner (personal experience here!).

If you must clean the tuner, "Blow Off" Contact Cleaner works very well (made by AVW). This spray will also remove Rat Shack cleaner from the tuner and restore the sensitivity (again, personal experience with an HK 430 [:$]).

Thanks for the warning about using this stuff in the tuner section. I thought I remembered a similar warning in a previous post, so I left my tuner section alone.

Bill, as far as price for a 630 goes, I think they range in price from about 50 to a 100 bucks, of course depending on condition. I paid 120 bucks for mine, but it has a factory wooden case and everything is in immaculate condition (except for the STEREO indicator light of course[:(]).

-PB

I had an HK630 receiver

bought it new when I was in High School

it too had the scratchy volume noise

then the amp started making a humming noise too

so, threw it out with the garbage one weekend

not worth fixing for the cost to fix it

it was a great receiver in its day but one has to move on to better things