DVD or CD player for CD's :)

RTTR

I know nothing about CD players (do not own one), but am currently using my Panasonic RP91 DVD player in 2-ch with the VRD's and BlueBerry Xtreme, and gotta say, it sounds pretty darn good!

I just got done playing the Putumayo World Music Selects cd, track 9, Miriam Makeba (Umhome) from South African Legends (PUT 163), and it sounds unfreakinbelievable! The bass line on this song will rip your guts out at 110 db! And this is coming from a pair of La Scala's, and we all know they can't deliver the goods! [;)]

Mike

Edit: As a side note, I use the dacs on the RP91 as opposed to those in the Denon 4800, because they definitely do sound better.

The Toshiba player mentioned earlier this week was the model 3950 I

believe. The current model at best buy is the 3990 which has basically

the same topology. If you search through the threads you'll find it.

126Mhz is the forum member that mentioned this model. There are

currently 3 3950's on e-bay right now but none of them worth

considering. But for 59.99 at BB new that's dirt cheap.

I had been using my cheap (free to me) Magnavox DVD player for CDs since my older Sony 200 disc changer skipped terribly and the Magnavox was noticeably smoother especially in the treble.

I bought a Denon single CD player that's from about '94 just a month ago. I'd say that the sound is very comparable to the Magnavox (very good) but the advantage is that I have a volume control on my Denon. Nice feature since my HK 730 was pre-remote.

Mike I have the same Putumayo cd plus 10-15 more of their cds and they all sound incredible. These are some of the best sounding cds I have.

Good to know... I love this cd, and track 9 has got some of the loudest bass I have ever heard in a song! I was shaking the couch last night playing it with my little tube amps and La Scala's.

Mike

I have to admit I am not sure I want to find out that $60 dvd players are now sounding better than my $500 cd player.

My cd players is probably based on technology at least two years old. So all the new expensive parts in my cd player two years ago are probably very cheap now cause of the new stuff that replaced them. So some of the parts in my cd player are probably in these $60 dvd players plus cheap parts that are improved technology.

I am thinking about getting one of the tube cd players in April. I may just buy the dvd player mentioned and do a three way comparision.

Mike if you like the bass shaking songs from Putumayo albums I'll email you a list[8].

when it was posted here about the $50 DVD "CD Player Bargain" I searched and was able to find a couple...Toshiba 3950s...my understanding from those who know far more than me was the successive models did not have the "guts" DACs or whatever but were still good...I may be wrong but as I recall the 3950s had some higher end parts inside??? Who knows (he probably does!) but I know it seems to sound better than my 1999 Yammie that retailed for over $1000.00 (no, I did not pay that either) so...there was a Philips model too (DVD 963SA?) and a Pioneer as well...good hunting!

Bill

I remember a long time ago a lot of people recommended a $50 or so Toshiba DVD player for use as a CD player because it had good DACs, are people still recommending DVD players over stand alone CD players for playing audio CD's?

The link provided is one of my favorite for reviewing HTS components. Try this....

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/masterindex_video_players.html

I would rather have a cd player for cd's, and a dvd player for my discs.Unless you want to listen to music in 5.1. When listening to cd's, I find I like them in 2channel the way they were recorded. The only advantage to buying inexpensive cd, or dvd players, is they play burned copies without much trouble. Where I find the better grades won't play burners as well.