Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

Would love to help you out on that front, but it's not going to happen soon [:P] It took me a month and some help to get the thing out, let alone putting it back in.

I can tell you that the pipes you see are tapped at the top .... I think I have a pic ... Next post ...

lol, no worries.

Ok, I get that the tops of those pipes are closed, but as you follow them down they join at a T-Section where a bit of pipe goes towards the front (which my or may not open to the front) and then there is another piece of pipe that goes towards the back (and looks like it bends down). Is the pipe going towards the back open at the bottom? Or is it a mounting flange thing?

It looks like a mounting flange thing ... Looking at it, I couldn't see what purpose it fulfilled, but I'm sure old Tom had some trick up his sleeve ...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

I was wondering why I havn't seen any more post about your system, or should I say the Danley?

I like the way you built the Danley into the wall unit, but I may have told you that before.

I understand what it's like to be without a subwoofer once you have used one. Last week I sent my Sunfire Signature

to Sunfire for repair. Since then, I started to watch a few movies and listen to music and just gave up.

I'm finally going to make a change. I narrowed down my choices to the Danley, JL Audio's F113, or build John Warrens sub.

I'll either sell, or retire the Sunfire to a dedicated center channel sub.

Hi Chris,

I was wondering why I havn't seen any more post about your system, or should I say the Danley?

I like the way you built the Danley into the wall unit, but I may have told you that before.

I understand what it's like to be without a subwoofer once you have used one. Last week I sent my Sunfire Signature

to Sunfire for repair. Since then, I started to watch a few movies and listen to music and just gave up.

I'm finally going to make a change. I narrowed down my choices to the Danley, JL Audio's F113, or build John Warrens sub.

I'll either sell, or retire the Sunfire to a dedicated center channel sub.

Hey Q,

This thread's been around so long I think folks have just stopped seeing it [;)] Thanks for the installation compliment.

I was really curious how the Danley would mate with the Heritage front wall, and it's been great. It has a bunch of gravitas when needed, yet it is very musical. The SMS1 is a big help too since the Sunfire TG I that I have is pretty limited in terms of output and programming options. It had been -- and still is -- my intent to upgrade the processor once standards settle down. In the meantime, the TG is just fine for most viewing.

If you want to email me with questions or request for pix, I'd be happy to help .... I know Arthur loves his F113, or at least last I remember reading ...

Chris

EAR

I'll have to take a look at your post on TC Sounds sub that you built.

John Warren designed a sub around an 18" McCauley transducer. The 6174 was designed by McCauley to

produce very low frequency material at very high SPL's. It has a low Fs of (20Hz) and a low Qes (.380), two

necessary parameters to go very low. John got me thinking about building his subwoofer when he told me that his will

out perform the F113, but you need a big box. Like your saying,big is better.

Q-Man,

A very large cabinet housing a very large driver and ...vented will play louder and dig deeper.That is no big deal,does not take a rocket scientist to figure out.

The McCauley is on of the best if not the best pro driver for sub duty,however there are better choices for home use and if going DIY route TC Sounds has woofer that can outdisplace the McCauley with ease plus works great in sealed cabinets,much more compact that what the McCauley needs to berform near its peak.

Per cubic inch the Fathom f113 has no competition. Those claiming otherwise better start acting and stop talking. [:D] The f113 direct competitor would be the TC Sounds TC-5200 15 and 18" woofers in tiny cabinets,you would have the minute size plus major output,providing you have the HUGE power amp to make it happen.The BL on the TC-5200 is the highest of any production woofer,one heck of a motor,the LMS-5400 due to its long linear nature ...the motor even using an even larger magnetic structure has a fraction of the TC-5200 BL !

For tiny cabinets high BL is a must ...

Try the Fathom f113... see how you like it.One thing it batters the Sunfire Sig into a bloody proverbial pulp. All around better,SQ,SPL...extension,parts quality...all around great sub.