Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

I called Danley and they quoated me prices direct. You can buy direct as long as there is no dealer in your area. Even if there is a dealer in your area there is a good chance they won't have a showroom, so they will work with you.

I called to find out more about the powered version. A tech. that I talked to recommended buying the powered version over the non-powered. The amp they use is designed for the sub.They have an 800 watt DSP amp. He also suggested that you don't mess with the DSP settings, leave them at the factory settings. He said that they are very complicated to set up.

I need to find out more.

I'm also going to email soundbroker to see what he knows, and see what he can offer.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a new Danley Labs DTS-20 tapped horn demo unit on the way. If you live in the Pac Northwest and want to experience the full power and fist-of-god like force of a sub capable of 125db of output at 20 hz (measured OUTDOORS), then give me a shout. This is one of the few subwoofers on the planet that truly matches to big Heritage.

What amp are you planning on driving these boys with? This is a very intriguing Sub option for a Heritage rig. Until I read about this I pretty much was favoring the Klipsch THX Ultra II subs and amp. They seemed a better match than most other subs I've heard. The selection of a proper sub for a Heritage rig has always and continues on some level to vex me a bit. These being a horn-loaded box are very interestingtoo bad youre not in the PAC Southwest! I looked on the Danley site and no option to locate a Danley dealer is provided.

Danley does provide a powered version of the DTS20. It employs a B&O amp that Kevin says is mounted into the back of the unit.

As far as a dealer is concerned, Soundbroker (Kevin) can help you out. He was very helpful with me.

Chris

Hey Chris -

Just wanted to let you know that you should expect a visit from me around......oh......I dunno.....maybe like 67 minutes after you lay your grubby hands on your DTS20!!! [:D]

Tom

We have a new Danley Labs DTS-20 tapped horn demo

unit on the way. If you live in the Pac Northwest and want to

experience the full power and fist-of-god like force of a sub capable

of 125db of output at 20 hz (measured OUTDOORS), then give me a shout.

This is one of the few subwoofers on the planet that truly matches to

big Heritage.

What

amp are you planning on driving these boys with? This is a

very intriguing Sub option for a Heritage rig. Until I read about

this I pretty much was favoring the Klipsch THX Ultra II subs and

amp. They seemed a better match than most other subs I've

heard. The selection of a proper sub for a Heritage rig has

always and continues on some level to vex me a bit. These being a horn-loaded box are very interestingtoo bad youre not in the PAC Southwest! I looked on the Danley site and no option to locate a Danley dealer is provided.

Danley

does provide a powered version of the DTS20. It employs a B&O

amp that Kevin says is mounted into the back of the unit.

As far as a dealer is concerned, Soundbroker (Kevin) can help you out. He was very helpful with me.

Chris

B&O = Bang & Olufsen ice type amps?

Hey Chris -

Just wanted to let you know that you should expect a visit from me around......oh......I dunno.....maybe like 67 minutes after you lay your grubby hands on your DTS20!!! [:D]

Tom

Well I was thinking the same after you pop those DIY in your bonus room. In fact, if you guys are up to it, I may not wait that long.

Got a silly quote (I hope it's silly) from a GC on the kitchen/family room remodel today. I just don't see it considering I'm doing the cabinets and appliances already. If you know a good GC in the Savannah area, let me know.

Anyway, sure, once this gear is altogether, you and Laura are the first on the invite list. It's going to be impressive, I think.

Chris

I still have my doubts about what a single 12" woofer can do. subwoofers can only move so much air and whats so special about this woofer in the first place? There doest seem to be any info on it at all Its ultimately up to the horn to account for efficiency. I'd like to see measurements against some other popular subwoofers in the same room.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Call me different, call me naive, but Im pulling out the over-hype card for now.

• Moderators

This may be a stupid question but, not the first i put out here though, knowing the dimensions and roughly the port size how hard would it be to match a driver to this. I ask because it would be very simple to build, and would not take up any more space than many subs.

Edit: How much do they want for that sucker anyway?

I still have

my doubts about what a single 12" woofer can do. subwoofers can only

move so much air and whats so special about this woofer in the first

place? There doest seem to be any info on it at all Its

ultimately up to the horn to account for efficiency. I'd like to see

measurements against some other popular subwoofers in the same room.

Call me different, call me naive, but Im pulling out the over-hype card for now.

You might be able to find some hard numbers over at http://www.prosoundweb.com/

but I wasn't able to find anything after a quick search. I swear I've

seen some comparison plots against other more common subs.

I also share in your skepticism, but at the same time Danley doesn't

seem the type to exagerate anything either...maybe I have the wrong

impression of him, or maybe that is one fricken insane driver on the

inside. I forget the max efficiency from horns, but isn't it around

6dB? And with an additional 3dB from loading both sides of the driver

you're looking at a max 9dB of gain. So that means the raw driver needs

to be capable of 110dB @ 18Hz on its own...isn't that like 150mm peak

to peak? Heck, give it an additional 6dB from somewhere...that's still

over 40mm.

I do know how much horn loading a sub helps. I have seen horn loaded 18's do incredible SPL with only a dozen few watts. So yes, the box makes a huge difference and I guess if you look at that box, 18x18 by 84.... ya thats pretty damn big. I mean 18x18x18 is big, well thats like ~1/5th the size!

as far as.. how good can this driver be? Its probably not even as good at the new RT-12d drivers. Drivers can only be so good and they can only move so much air before they sound bad. So like Jay said, the box has more to do with it. If the driver was so awe inspiring, You would see bragging associated with it on the website, but you don't, thats just my guess. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

$3,000.00 unpowered, $4,600.00 powered.

Only one user control. Push a button in for a low pass filter (crossover) You have to tell them the crossover point that you want and they set it before they ship to you. Push the button again and it can be set for another low pass filter point or wide open. You can not change the crossover points yourself. I was thinking of setting one at 45 to 50 Hz, and the other position wide open. Using it wide open will let you set the crossover point in your receiver or A/V processor.

Like I said you have very limited control over the powered version.

$3,000.00 unpowered, $4,600.00 powered.

Only one user control. Push a button in for a low pass filter (crossover) You have to tell them the crossover point that you want and they set it before they ship to you. Push the button again and it can be set for another low pass filter point or wide open. You can not change the crossover points yourself. I was thinking of setting one at 45 to 50 Hz, and the other position wide open. Using it wide open will let you set the crossover point in your receiver or A/V processor.

Like I said you have very limited control over the powered version.

Actually there are three versions. Unpowered, powered and powered with a DSP unit. Prices are $2995, $3995 and $4600. The powered version has a 500 watt ICE digital amp.

I've had to put off the delivery on the beast because the demo theater isn't finished yet (can't get a drywall crew up here for taping to save my life) and because the truck can' t currently get to the building because of snow. No way I am going to drag a 400 lb box over 500 ft of slush!

Can you take it apart, take photos and dimensions? It would be a great DIY project! Just kidding, we will let you listen a bit first. But just a bit....

Yeah...something tells me that Danley Labs would not take kindly to one of their dealers doing this [:@]

Besides which...they have a new large speaker coming out that is supposed to keep up with the beast for those who can't fit a K-Horn or LaScala and we are interested in getting a set. Reverse engineering one of their products is probably not the best way to guarantee yourself future product shipments!

ohhhh I would love to get my hands on the layout of that beast. I would have a great summer building one of those puppies. Cross that baby over at 50hz and let the fun begin. Soundbroker you should see if they have a cut a way view of the inards. Just kidding I wouldn't want to see you get into any trouble.

scooter

Cross that baby over at 50hz and let the fun begin.

scooter

Kevin, I talked with Scott at Danley yesterday. I wanted to double-check the dimensions before signing off on the cabinet that is being made for it.

Looking at the photos in the spec sheet, it seemed that the 20" dimension was actually across the front (width) not front to back (depth). He grabbed his tape measure and took the phone to the demo room and check. Those dimensions were indeed reversed so they'll update the online spec sheet.

My guess is that building one of these subs in a lot like building a Klipschorn. By the time you get done making all the compound wood cuts, fidgeting and assembling, it would have been a better use of your time just buying one from Tom. For what you're getting, the price seems ultra-reasonable when Kevin sweetens the deal a little. He's been great to work with, by the way. As a fellow Forum member, I can't recommend working with him more highly.

Last question. With a pair of Klipschorns, where should I cross the Danley? If there's a factory setting that needs to be made before shipping, I should probably let them know. I think the Khorns go pretty well down to 40Hz so I'm thinking 50Hz is a good spot, as Scooter alludes?

Chris