Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

One other thing ...

Could someone email me the freq response curves of the Heritage family? I saw one posted here in recent months and thought I saved it. Alas, it is still in the "can't find it" status.

chris.robinson3@adelphia.net

Any help would be appreciated. My HT will be Klipschorns and Belle in front, Cornwall II (old) for sides and Heresies on their backs behind the couch for rears.

I'm just interested in checking the bass coverage for this family. Obviously, the Klipschorn goes the lowest so that is probably my main determinant, but I wanted to see nonetheless.

Tom, hopefully we'll have a GC lined up soon and the demolition can begin. We're signing off on the cabinet order next week if we can find the GC so we're looking at ten weeks from now being a finished room. June 1 is my target date for the end of the remodel, first phase anyway. Then there's the lanai, the MBR ...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I'd bump this one up to the top. It's been a few months.

I'll probably take delivery of mine in July when the family room is getting roughed in. Has anybody here gotten of one these -- or even heard one?

There's been some chatter over on the AVS Forum and the comments are triple-thumbs-up, but I don't "know" any of the guys over there (except for "Sound Dood", our own Soundbroker).

Just curious ...

I'll take pix when the beast ships in and funny photos of us trying to get it wedged into the cabinet, etc.

Kevin, you must have one installed by now ... What do you think of it?

Chris

Does the DTS-20 fit inbetween studs? I seem to remember reading that at one time...

I think it would be mega cool to flush mount a pair of these on each side of the movie screen. All you need is that one opening at the bottom to let the sound out [H]

Does the DTS-20 fit inbetween studs? I seem to remember reading that at one time...

I think it would be mega cool to flush mount a pair of these on each side of the movie screen. All you need is that one opening at the bottom to let the sound out [H]

Doc, the width across the front is 20" and it's 18" deep. You could easily frame out a few "boxes" for these to stand "proud" and sheetrock over it.

That would be pretty cool.

Chris

Well, it has been a while since this was first posted! I've been busy. Yes, the DTS-20 is in. Took six of us to carry it from the truck the 300' into my home theater building. It is...um...big!

If you stand it up, that is one mighty impressive box. If you were to lay it down, it would actually make a really good center channel stand.

The theater is finally drywalled, painted and we started in on acoustics yesterday. Just for laughs, I hooked it up and ran a sweep on it.

GOOD GOD! [:o]

To say it is powerful is...um..an understatement. I've never felt anything like that beast and I've put in a LOT of subwoofers over my 26 year career in this crazy business. Believe the numbers guys...definitely believe the numbers.

For those of us with thin pocketbooks,

Pictures.

Please.

[edited by: fanbrain at 12:04 AM (GMT -5) on Sun, Jun 04 2006]

EDIT: Ok, something is going on with the server here. Every time I try to post I get "Unable to complete your request" or something and it looks like the post didn't take. Sorry for taking up all this space. I guess posting works even if it says it doesn't.

Pictures . Please . I'm . dying . to . see . It

Right now, it has been removed and covered over since the screen wall is getting Linacoustic and we are firring out the side walls for Linacoustic/batting and fabric. I promise to get pics up for everybody as soon as I can.

On another note...I am thinking of doing an actively biamped THX Ultra 2 setup up front. Anybody by any chance do this with KL-650's?

The SoundBroker is right,

that thing is daunting. I went down to his place and it makes you feel small and insignificant standing right next to it! Hopefully Ill get a chance to hear it once its completed....

then Ill write back on the forums about how my chest was compressed and my heart stopped from so much subsonic goodness!

by any chance is the danley a line transmission

or atleast that is what I think it is called where the enclousure is

the port?

It is a tapped horn design.

Essentially this means the front wave and back wave of the driver are

both horn loaded and both horns are too short for their expansion

rates. When a horn is too short you get some crazy dips and peaks in

the frequency response - but when you make these dips and peaks overlap

between the front and rear you end up with a nice flat response. At

least that's the theory...it's a bit more complicated, but it gets the

jist across.

If you get the chance, try messing around with Hornresp:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

and make the horn too short to see what I'm talking about.

You might try messing around with the Eminence Lab12 driver as it was

designed to be a driver for hornloaded bass. I've heard rumors that Tom

Danley might even be using this driver in the DTS-20 (if not a slightly modified one).

Yup, tapped horn. Danley apparently has a patent on the design...I believe there is a white paper on their website.

Update on the theater...all the side wall acoustics are now up (thanks to David at Northwest Sound Acoustics!). The fabric is going up tomorrow along with the front wall treatment...then the front channel speaker racking and acoustic screen goes in. After that...I promise pics.

Jay, great post. You gotta show me how to do that !

Kevin, if you're going to deal in this product, you GOTTA review it. I think a decent write-up here might yield you some business that would make it worthwhile.

Remember, there aren't many subs that can keep up with a Klipschorn.

I'm betting on it [:P]

Jay, great post. You gotta show me how to do that !

Kevin, if you're going to deal in this product, you GOTTA review it. I think a decent write-up here might yield you some business that would make it worthwhile.

Remember, there aren't many subs that can keep up with a Klipschorn.

I'm betting on it [:P]

Yeah yeah yeah...I know. Here are some pics to keep you placated until I have it all up and going...soon I hope. First picture is what you'd see standing at the base looking up [:D]

post-15024-13819300587688_thumb.jpg