RB75 vs RB81

Bruinsrme

Hi Everyone,

Well after my moment of insanity, I have decided to ditch the Rockets and move back into a Klipsch set up. Yes I am kicking myself and I know some of the great people here will probably say, we told you so. Yes You did.

So humbly I ask what is the difference between the RB75 and 81s.

Thanks

Scott

Scott:

Welcome back. I will not be one of those people because, after all, you were one of those responsible for me originally upgrading from the Reference three line to all Reference sevens. I have also moved on - though a different Klipsch direction - to the Heritage series (with modded Belles and vintage Altecs).

The biggest difference is the new compression driver on the upper end. Klipsch made a decision to replace the 1.75 titanium compression driver that was behind all of the Reference seven horns (including the RB75s) with a smaller 1 inch compression driver. Early reports in here indicate that the smaller driver may be smoother (less in your face) and more refined. On the flip side, there may be some loss in detail versus the older driver that you can optimize with the right equipment (up your alley since I recall you ran Halo gear). I seemed to recall that at times, the Reference seven line was a little too forward for your tastes (it was for me at times), and so these new bookshelves may appeal to you and a wider audience (including those who thought the Reference line was a little too in your face). On the other hand, this new compression driver should be the same for all top Reference speakers - the bookshelf and the replacement for the RC7 and RF7. Stands to reason that if Klipsch believes the new driver can hold its own with three 8 inch woofers, then the RB81 should be a pretty special (and balanced) speaker.

The only other change I see if that the new bookshelves have vinyl coating instead of real wood.

Carl.

Hi Carl,

Thank you for the welcome back and kind words. Your memory serves you very well.

After reading a few reviews the smaller horn has given some reviewers of a smoother speaker in the higher regions.

The rockets were not as detailed as I was hoping. But then again the RF7s were on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Giving up some of the edge, some, may not be such a bad thing and as you mentioned the 81 might be exactly what I am looking for.

The vinyl coating is acceptable but not preferable.

Thank you
Scott

Seems there is quite a bit of confusion over the RB-75 and RB-81. Let me try to illuminate.

There is no replacement in the new Reference line for the RB-75. That speaker was our effort to provide RF-7-like performance in a bookshelf package. It's a great bookshelf speaker and has the 1.75" compression driver that only the RF-7 and RC-7 shared with it. Very expensive driver and definitely overkill in the bookshelf model where we had to attenuate it to avoid outrunning the woofer output. After all, it was able to (more than) keep up with two 10" woofers in the RF-7.

The RB-81 is the replacement for the RB-35; not for the RB-75. The RB-81 has a 1" compression driver that is an upgrade over the RB-35 driver. It is not competition for the RB-75 driver nor for the new 1.25" compression driver in RF-83, RF-63 and RC-64. That new driver is much like the RF-7 driver though its smaller size allows it superior HF extension and pushes the break-up distortion mode further beyond 20kHz.

If you want performance like the RB-75, you'll need to find RB-75's. RB-81 is a very nice speaker but it's no RB-75.

• Like 1

Hi Bob

Now this is what I have been missing for the last 1.5 years, great down to earth info with no fluff.

Please don't get me wrong about the RF7s. I loved the RF7s, RS7s , and RC7 along witht he RB75s. My friends told me I as an @ss for dumping the klipsch.

Ok so they were right.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to having Klipsch back into my HT.

I was so disgusted with the speakers I replaced my klipsch with that I did not fire up my HT for a period of 16months.

Scott

Bob:

Thanks for the clarification. Putting the 1.75 compression driver may have seemed like overkill, but to me, the RB75 seemed to be the smoothest and most balanced out of the bunch (RF7, RC7, and RB75).

Ahhh, now I see. Seems like you guys attentuated that horn a bit since it was paired up with only one bass driver.

That means those RB75s are unique creatures without a replacement. I loved my pair and still wish I had them. Oh well, I still have my RC7 (Dean modded) upstairs for HT duty.

Shhhhh.....don't let the secret get out to that many people. That'll make the price go up on the used market.

Scott:

You are welcome. Welcome back to the family.............I remember when you made the plunge, and I sort of understand why - at the time I also frequented the "other sites" where plenty of people worshipped the Rockets (and still do). However, I just could not take that leap of faith without hearing a pair. Lets just say I was "skeptical."

Hope you find your audio nirvana. After modding Belles with Trachorns and aftermarket crossovers, I found mine........

Carl.

...It's a great bookshelf speaker and has the 1.75" compression driver that only the RF-7 and RC-7 shared with it. Very expensive driver and definitely overkill in the bookshelf model where we had to attenuate it to avoid outrunning the woofer output. After all, it was able to (more than) keep up with two 10" woofers in the RF-7.

...If you want performance like the RB-75, you'll need to find RB-75's. RB-81 is a very nice speaker but it's no RB-75.

I own 2 pairs of RB-75's. One that I am using as Mains in my Bedroom and the other used as Rears, listed in the system below. The Bedroom system sounds phenomenal but in no way compares to my main HT. Today for fun I moved out the RF-7's and replaced them with the RB-75's--I don't know how they can "more than keep up with the two 10" woofers in the RF-7," but IMHO, there is a definite reason I chose the RF-7's to use in my main Klipsch Ultimate Reference Home Theater [;)].

Looking back I did love my RF7s but they were too much for my smallish HT.

The RF7s overwhelmed the listening area which took away surrounds. I have tried several bookshelfs in the last month.

The Onix Rocket 250's, the SVS SBS and some B2s.

having had the Rocket 750s, no comments please, I have to say the little 250s put the 750's to shame. The SVS SBS are clear, crisp and clean sounding and amazing at the price point and the size. The Klipsch sound very good as well but I can't seem to bring myself to not have the reference line as I know how the sound and how much I enjoyed them before.

I am having a heck of a time finding the RB75s but the search goes on.

Scott

...It's a great bookshelf speaker and has the 1.75" compression driver that only the RF-7 and RC-7 shared with it. Very expensive driver and definitely overkill in the bookshelf model where we had to attenuate it to avoid outrunning the woofer output. After all, it was able to (more than) keep up with two 10" woofers in the RF-7.

...If you want performance like the RB-75, you'll need to find RB-75's. RB-81 is a very nice speaker but it's no RB-75.

I own 2 pairs of RB-75's. One that I am using as Mains in my Bedroom and the other used as Rears, listed in the system below. The Bedroom system sounds phenomenal but in no way compares to my main HT. Today for fun I moved out the RF-7's and replaced them with the RB-75's--I don't know how they can "more than keep up with the two 10" woofers in the RF-7," but IMHO, there is a definite reason I chose the RF-7's to use in my main Klipsch Ultimate Reference Home Theater [;)].

You misunderstood Bob's point, which was that the RB75 tweeter/midrange driver and horn was also designed to keep up with the two 10" woofers from the RF7s and the RB75 tweeter/mid horn can "more than keep up with the woofers in the RF7" because it is basically the same driver/horn as used in the RF7. Therefore, Klipsch had to attentuate the RF7 tweeter/mid driver/horn when they used it with the RB75 (lower its output/volume) or else the driver/horn would have completely overwhelmed the one 8 inch driver in the RB75 cabinet.

Not that the RB75s can "more than keep up with the RF7s" - speaker to speaker. Even two RC7s take a pair of RB75s in a street fight. But, all of that being said, I still think the RB75 is an underappreciated speaker.

Carl.

Looking back I did love my RF7s but they were too much for my smallish HT.

The RF7s overwhelmed the listening area which took away surrounds. I have tried several bookshelfs in the last month.

The Onix Rocket 250's, the SVS SBS and some B2s.

having had the Rocket 750s, no comments please, I have to say the little 250s put the 750's to shame. The SVS SBS are clear, crisp and clean sounding and amazing at the price point and the size. The Klipsch sound very good as well but I can't seem to bring myself to not have the reference line as I know how the sound and how much I enjoyed them before.

I am having a heck of a time finding the RB75s but the search goes on.

Scott

Scott, I can relate. I used to have RF7s with my HT, but we moved everything, and in order to make things work, I ended up with a RC7 and two smaller Klipsch bookshelves (and other surrounds) in our main floor family room (with my SVS sub). I cannot complain because I still am lucky enough to have space downstairs for my large Heritage 5.1 system (thank you, my tolerant wife).

I hate to say this, but because they are now technically used anyway, you may want to keep an eye open for Ebay RB75s that come up. I am not usually a big Escam fan, but at least the stout drivers should make it in one piece. That might be rolling the dice, however, with respect to the condition of the cabinet a little bit.

CArl.

Scott -

I just bought four new RB-75's on ebay in the past 2 weeks. I had tried to buy them locally but my dealers

could no longer get them since they were discontinued (they tried to sell me on RB-81's). The ebay seller

I used gave me excellent service. The speakers were shipped Fedex ground from CT to me in Louisiana.

Two of the four speakers were obviously bounced around quite a bit by some Fedex gorrillas and arrived

with the drivers completely broken off of the plastic horns. The seller sent me two replacement RB-75's

by Fedex overnight, and sent me a Fedex account number to use to return the broken pair.

All six speakers appear to be brand new, but the boxes had been opened to remove the serial number labels.

Now I am anxiously awaiting the day that I can actually use my new RB-75's. We moved (from Metairie)

after Katrina, and now live on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. I had several things to do in the new

house to prepare for setting up the big screen TV and audio system in the family room. I still need to

run the cable line and antenna wiring down the wall opposite of where it is now. And I need to run new

Monster flat 12awg under the carpet (and also have the carpet replaced with new). Then I can set up

the system in that room.

I'm going to use the RB-75's as side and rear speakers along with my RF-5 fronts and RC-7. In the old

house I had RS-35's for surrounds, and I didn't use rears at all.

I'll pm you the ebay seller's ID that I used if you're interested. Also, I now have the pair of (white) RS-35's

for sale I you're interested in those.

Dave

Hi Dave

thank you for the information. Some times it is difficult to find what you want but some places have pro sound at a discount.

I am glad to hear you had a good experience.

Hi Everyone,

Reflecting back I do recall the RB75s sounded great but nothing like the RF7s. Having a very strong 100hz and below the low end is pretty much covered. The RB75s are a fantastic alternative for those that do not have the room for the floor stands. It is unfortunate that this particular speaker got lost in the mix with the introduction of the 5 series speakers. Sure I would love to have the RF7s again but I like the openess the bookself gives the front of my room and the sound they provide.

The RB75s are the corvette coupe while the the RF7 is the Z06.

Thanks again

Scott

Thanks Jay, I really did not think I would win with a $700 bid.

It would have been nice but I want to give the RB75s a chance before I rethink the massive RF7.

You never know what may happen. I am about to purchase a pair of RB75. If they meet my needs for the front I will purchase a second pair for surrounds. If they don't meet my needs then the RF7s will definitely be reconsidered.

Scott

Scott buddy.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I know I know I know it sounds odd. But, have you considered running RC7s?

I've written many posts about how I took one of my RC7s down to a local store, hooked up 2 RC7s against 2 RB75s. Maybe it's just my ears and the ears of the other two salesmen, but, we all agreed hands down that a pair of RC7s whooped up on a pair of RB75s.

Again, I know, the RC7 is a center channel speaker. It may very well be worth your time to check it out. Just make sure you have some room behind them, they are rear ported.

I'm a little disappointed that you fessed up about your rockets. I wanted to spill the beans and tattle on you. [;)]

When I was buying my surrounds I did basically a bulk purchase. I bought 4 at one time. They ended up costing me $500.00 each. You may be able to get them cheaper now.

Or like you said. RF7s, then get the DeanG mod. It tames some of that brashness.

Hi Dave,

Look in my last reply to you, there is a very subtle hint on the ebay seller.

Looks like you and I have the same exact pioneer stuff.

I saw the 79ai in action. better sound comparable picture picture compared to the 59ai. Definitely not worth the upgrade from the 59.

I still like my 47ai since it plays all regions and my plasma displays PAL and NTSC. If you have a PDA the crack is easy.

Scott