Replacement Tweeter for the K-77 Done!!

BEC

More listening, less sniffing.

After almost a week with the APT-200's I decided to go ahead and drop the Beymas back in. The Eminence driver has very nice sparkle on the top that is certainly missing from the Beyma. The Eminence has somewhat of a forward nature that seems to blend with the squawker better. It's an excellent replacement driver because it leaves the stock signature of the speaker completely intact while dramatically cleaning up the top.

When I dropped the Beymas back and hit the chair the first thing I thought was that the sound was somehow fuller and richer. I think it's just a more laid back kind of sound is all. I know I originally posted that by comparison I thought the Eminence made the Beyma "sound like an overpriced POS", but I think I might have been tricked by the brighter/louder speaker always sounds better thing. The little Eminence kicks butt, but the Beyma has a certain refined quality that's also very appealing -- just not as apparent until you settle in with for a bit. Intersting stuff.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I know I originally posted that by comparison I thought the Eminence

made the Beyma "sound like an overpriced POS", but I think I might have

been tricked by the brighter/louder speaker always sounds better

thing. The little Eminence kicks butt, but the Beyma has a certain

refined quality that's also very appealing -- just not as apparent

until you settle in with for a bit. Intersting stuff."

Naw, it just broke in![:D]

Sounds like sort of a detailed brilliance vs easy smoothness

Not going to solve that one:

1) tubes vs. solid state dilema

2) electro-mechanical break-in

3) wiring issues

4) crossover mismatch

5) human hearing abilities

6) individual preferences

7) different dispersion characteristics

8) environmental issues resulting from #7

DM

Just got back from Little Rock with lots more horns. Am very well stocked on horns and drivers now.

Order away.

Bob Crites

P.S. I picked up a pile of these that the guy ran while getting the mold working right. Just interesting.

post-9312-13819283731152_thumb.jpg

Bob, The clear horns are really unique! Are they the same composition as the blacks (minus the color)? If so, I can see them becoming a cult classic that's sure to bring twice the price of the "common" black ones!

They have to sound more transparent! yuk, yuk. [:)] Next thing you know, you'll be starting a designer series. (I'll take mine in electric blue - they'll match my kimber cable)

Wait a minute - here's an idea - mount them in a separate box on top of the speaker. You can then put any color light you want inside the box. Would create a nice glow! Better yet, get one of those rotating xmas tree lights mounted inside..... The possibilities boggle the mind!!!

I guess some of the clear ones are slightly different in composition. He was running them in clear to determine how the composition and pressures and time and temperature effected the product. When he got the clear ones as clear as possible, he had all those factors right and could just go to the black material and start production. Just a trick of the trade, I guess to use the clear stuff. Lets you see what is happening to the inside of the material. Took him lots of trys before he was happy with it.

By the way, he said he knew that a void anywhere in the plastic could possibly effect the sound and clear was the only way to know that no voids formed. Did I pick the right guy to produce these horns? I think I did.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819283735402_thumb.jpg

Wait a minute - here's an idea - mount them in a separate box on top of the speaker. You can then put any color light you want inside the box. Would create a nice glow! Better yet, get one of those rotating xmas tree lights mounted inside..... The possibilities boggle the mind!!!

Blue LEDs!

Since this mold to make these horns cost me as much as the least expensive new cars, guess I will post a few pics of it. Today was the first time I have even seen it to know what I had paid for.

Bob Crites

This is the mold all closed up being injected with material.

post-9312-13819283736862_thumb.jpg

I want one made out of glass that I could faux paint the back of to match the speaker veneer. [:P]

Actually, I bet that could be done with these despite being opaqueish. And, I don't see why someone couldn't paint the inside of the midhorns either. I've never seen it & I don't understand why.