Replacement Tweeter for the K-77 Done!!

BEC

Do your Khorns look like these inside Peter?PostAttachment.aspxThere is but that one stiffener that runs from L to R screwed into the middle bottom of the home plate on mine. None near the tweeter. Chicago_Pete originally posted this picture. Some how thought it was you. It's tough to get old.[:(]

Rick

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, like that. Initially I thought the wood strip would be too close and I'd have to move it. But it clears. It was really the space, or the lack of it, between the top of the tweeter magnet and the underside of the top plate. It needed a little shaving off.

My wife also liked the cymbals on the Norah Jones CD tonight.

Just a thought if anyone else has trouble installing the CT125 tweeters. I installed mine in a pair of Belles and they fit without modification but the top of the magnet was barely touching the inside of the cabinet and I was concerned that they might "buzz" against the cabinet. I did not want to shave any wood off so I put one small washer between the top mounting screws and the front of the tweeter horn which ever so slightly tilted it back and down away from the cabinet and thereby eliminated any chance of contact with the magnet. This works great and requires no modification to the cabinet or the tweeters. I hope this idea helps.

Good idea.

In my 1990 LaScalas the CT125 magnets rest firmly against the top of the cabinet. No vibration detected yet. They are in there tight. But the tweeter horns seat appropriately against the inside face, and do not appear to be stressing the horn. They JUST make it.

To achieve any kind of clearance, I would have had to either shave the inside of the top of the cabinet, or shim the tweeter with washers.

In my 1977 LaScala, no dice. The CT125 doesn't fit. When I bolted them up they ended up tilted upward a slight amount due to the magnet hitting inside. But...I just left them that way and everything seems fine so far. You can't tell unless you look really closely. I think the wood screws would strip before the tweeter would break.

It sounds like maybe I should go back and shim with washers like you did to avoid any stress and vibration.

While installing my pair of BEC's in my 81 Khorns, I found that

clearance to the top plate was fine. I had trouble due to the

increased depth of the new tweets. The cross brace on the

underside of the top plate is very snug to the back of the tweeter when

reinstalled. Anyone else run into this ?

Garth

The clearance both ways was fine in my '73 khorns. Probably have half an inch clearance between the back of the tweeter motor and the cross brace.

I wonder if that difference is the same year to year, or just a different builder on the line.

While installing my pair of BEC's in my 81 Khorns, I found that

clearance to the top plate was fine. I had trouble due to the

increased depth of the new tweets. The cross brace on the

underside of the top plate is very snug to the back of the tweeter when

reinstalled. Anyone else run into this ?

Garth

I was affraid that the crossbrace would be a problem for me, but it

wasn't. Had to use the Dremel on the underside of the top plate,

which is "worse" than moving the crossbrace, but still not a huge deal.

Bob:

Here is a picture of a CT125 install in my Khorns. A perfect fit, but not much room to spare. So far, these are very nice and I find them to be better than the K77M's I replaced. I have my comments on another thread. Thanks for your work.

post-10337-13819284512344_thumb.jpg

Bob:

I have been listening to the CT125's now for two days and am extremely pleased. When you said they really sing, you weren't kidding. I have listened to all types of music at all listening levels and they have performed extremely well. Job well done.

• 5 years later...

Mine just arrived and I put them on the 1978 LS and the sound was great despite I haven't recap the xovers ever... I'll recap the crossovers as soon as Bob send me repair kit and I know the sound would be evern better

Tnx Bob, Nice job!