How should the New Heritage Line Be Marketed?

jbsl

Klipsch has opted to get better distribution of the Heritage line from OneCall.com. They stock Heresy IIIs and LaScala IIs. Khorns can be ordered. Klipsch gets national distribution this way.

What Klipsch needs now is the proper demo capability. The home demo list is the way to go. A real owner in love with his/her system that can demo Klipsch at its best would make the sale in areas with no Heritage dealers.

Then the facory or OneCall.com fills the order. A modest spiff might be in order for the demo person.

The Rocket folks (AV123) sell their speakers via home demo. It works with Internet direct products, and that is where Heritage has gone IMO.

Bill

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often thought that Klipsch could do well in movie theaters...

Not a bad idea Rick -- especially since many theaters USE Klipsch in their sound systems.

I know that there is a lot of Klipsch in movie theaters these days. I was referring to advertising on the big screen durring the pre movie shows they have now days. Here in our Regal Cinemas, it's called "The 20" or something like that. It's a bunch of TV advertising. I can see some 30 second blurb where Klipsch advertises that the theater they are in uses Klipsch, and that patrions should also know Klipsch has many home speakers as well... Price points for every budget.

On the contrary, I think KHorns do look like furniture rather than speakers!

Sure, I'm sure you do, but, my guess is that a majority of the population does not agree. I would also venture to guess that of that population, the majority of that is women and lets face it guys... If the wife is not happy, we are not happy.

My guess is that the heritage speaker is adored by only a few minority. While we all her are in tune with the quality of sound, many are more concerned about the cosmetics. Me? I'm stuck in the middle.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the La Scalla or the Belle. Yes, I had some belles but the looks never really grew on me. The cornwalls are a lot better, but still need (again, my opinion) some cosmetic improvments.

Klipsch has been in business a long time without everyone's help of how they should be marketing their speakers. I agree that the best sales people are happy customers, with pride in the equipment they own. The idea of opening up my home and letting some unknown in to hear my speakers scares me. This is not good, what happens when you go away and come home to NO equipment? Don't tell me that can't happen. I realise the price is high, but what isn't? Who would have thought 20 years ago a car would cost $20,000. and a gallon of gas would be close to $3.00 per gallon? Klipschorns, and Lascalas could be bought new, and you would never have to purchase a speaker again. I would LOVE a new set of either speaker, but I cannot afford to a this point in time. There are LESSER speakers out there for more money, and they seem to sell. If Quality is what you want, pay the price, and enjoy the Klipsch. If you think you can do better than Klipsch, buy a franchise,and sell them your way.

On the contrary, I think KHorns do look like furniture rather than speakers!

Sure, I'm sure you do, but, my guess is that a majority of the population does not agree. I would also venture to guess that of that population, the majority of that is women and lets face it guys... If the wife is not happy, we are not happy. .

Wives don't want loudspeakers that look like furniture, because that would imply that they are too big. They want invisible speakers.

I think Al's idea is not too far off. When I was stationed in Japan I demo'd my La Scala's for a lot of people. They were sold at the NEX but in a very small "cubicle" I let folks come to my small house and listen. I know of at least 5 or 6 people who bought La Scala's and a few pair of Heresy's were also sold resulting from the home setting demo.

I've been scouring the forum for years, and posted a few questions a couple of years ago. My interests kinda go in spurts. I have always wanted a pair of folded woofer speakers, the wife thinks there ugly. Maybe ditch the wife and get what I want (oops did i just type that. Sorry honey, I'll buy flowers tomorrow).

when I was 18 back in the late 80's, I purchased my first pair of Klipsch Chorus 1's. This was the most I couldn't afford, but did it anyway, and the only regret is that I didn't bite the big bullet then. At that time I purchased the speakers from a high end botique, that is now out of business. Thanks, giant chain stores.

I have tried to find a store in my area that carries the Heritage line several times over the last 5 or so years, to no avail. This is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!! And today was no different. I live about an hour away from St. Louis, MO so this isn't just a trip to the grocery store for me. I purposely went to the Klipsch website and used the find a dealer portion and purposely requested Heritage line only. Only two stores hit in my area. One appeared to be a specialty Home Theater with no showroom business, (confirmed this later with a web search). The other was a place identified as American TV and Appliance. I thought, "Wow, finally a small store in my area and they carry Heritage. Honey, load up the kids, we're going on a trip.

Guess what, this is another huge chain store. We walked in and it looked like a Circuit city with the addition of furniture.

I immediately checked out the HT room to find two pairs of Klipsch Bookshelf speakers parked on a wall next to Polk and a bunch of junk, ohh, I mean Bose.

I was approached by a young man asking if he could help. I asked him where I could find the Klipsch Heritage line. He said that Klipsch did not make anything called the Heritage. I asked about a pair of klipschorns. He said that all klipsch speakers were klipschorns. Then I procedeed to educate the salesman about the product that his employer has proported to carry, but he has no knowledge. He found his manager. The next time I saw the salesman, he and his manager were on the Klipsch website. They had no idea what they wer looking at. I helped them along.

The manager was gracious enough to tell me that he could order anything I wanted. I told him that I wanted to hear what he was wanting me to spend $3000 plus per speaker. Why would I want to order something at list price, sight unseen, and let these idiots make full markup without even having the product available to be demo'd. (ARE YOU LISTENING KLIPSCH?)

I walked away rather upset that I wasted another sunday on the quest for the imaginary Holy Grail. The manager then approached me again and told me that if I wanted to hear the speakers, I could go to the factory store for a listen. I asked where that was. He said that it's in Hope, Arkansas. I immediately loaded the tribe and left, what a marooooooon. As I walked out the door, He told me, "It's only a 6 hour drive."

Hey Klipsch, want to sell speakers? Put them in stores so people can look, touch, and most of all hear them. And educating the manager about the product wouldn't hurt either. If a dealer wants to be listed as a seller of the product, you need to require that they have the product on sight, either withe a demo set or sale by consignment, (kind of like car dealers do). Guess what, Bose does.

Sorry for my rant, but if my wife can't see them, she can never appreciate there beauty and allow khorns in our home. I'll bet lots of wives are just like mine.

The idea of theater adds is good, i liked the old rollingstone adds to.Most people dont even know about Klipsch... Heritage or otherwise so any add would be good.The problem is you need to educate the people with the add and a theater would be best place to do it.I would rather do A-B test in a theater than watch some of the other stuff they show there.Could have direct radiators behind screen then say is it real or Klipsch...lol.Before the days of cd and hdtv i went to a demo of Klipsch ..Paul Klipsch was there to... anyway the demo was slides and audio tape of tree being cut down i would bet everyone in there thought that tree landed right next to them.Here in KC,MO we have a theater dinner type place that would be good to i think.The WAF is kinda out since most homes are getting home theaters ...so now the performance side will come back into focus as it should be anyway.Rick

The home demo concept may be fundamentally flawed because few of us would have the latest exact models being sold. And, many of us have tweeked our speakers.

How would a prospective customer react when he is told (after being amazed by the demo) that the speakers he just heard have different horns, drivers, and crossovers from what he would ultimately buy?

The home demo could work but it would take some time to set it up.

Advertising at theaters is another way to get the word out. As long as the advertisement is clear these are not for the average person. In other words someone with lots of money or above average yearly income.

I have a friend at work and she and her husband make $100,000 a year and could not afford new KHorns or LS. $100,000 use to sound like a lot but not anymore!

These speakers are expensive and if not marketed to well off or rich people they will not sell. For most people $7500 or $5500 is a downpayment on a car and would not be willing to pay that for speakers.

Like Oldbuckster said quality is not cheap but the average American wants their Walmart specials. The KHorn is more like a Ferarri which cost money.

Well Ferrari,s are displayed in the St Louis area, & Bentlys, & Rolls, ...But no Klipschorns. the last Khorn I saw was at "FLIPS" ..no longer in bus.. Maybe I could talk the Bently dealer (out on highway 40) to take on the Klipsch line. He could throw in a pair of k horns free and still make a good profit......Of course the Klipschorns would have to be painted Ferrari Red

How?

Start by educating the dealers. They ARE the FACE of KLIPSCH. Next, give dealers an incentive to carry the line. Car manufacturers do this, its called Holdback. When the dealers start carrying the Heritage line, give them advertising dollars to spend or match on advertising. People remember the Heritage line, and you WILL capture the consumer. This goes on and on... a full circle of customer touch.

If Klipsch would like to hire me as an outside consultant, I can be reached at blingfast@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

OK, here is an idea....... Someone who lives in Indy needs to show the Heritage line at the Indy headquarters. It can be by appointment only. I know everyone is too busy at the headquarters... I offer myself as your "test dummy." Put me to the test here, hear me out.

I am willing to go through some kind of background check and prove my knowledge to a certain level as well, to "your" comfort level. I have sales experience in this field, even though it is not what I do full time. My loyalty to Klipsch is pretty easy to understand, just visit me and see what I already have as well.

You do not have to pay me anything at all salary wise, I will say that again.. Pay me nothing salary wise, I could be a independent contractor at my expense.... So this is no cost to you at all, unless I close a deal and speakers are sold. I will be liberal to make it worth your while as well. (probably a lot cheaper to pay me, than any dealer.) It can be dropped shipped to people who love your products and not take a single employee away from his position. All I need is some literature on the Heritage line, and a sales order which I am sure is also around the headquarters too. You remember those.. Someone signs people up to carry Heritage or actually SELLS speakers too? I can do this.

So your probably asking yourself, "Why would I do this?" I love your company, and feel I could easily help others to purchase Klipsch too. Someone needs to be able to do this. I offer myself. If you do not have a room to demo Heritage at your own headquarters and someone willing to show it too, to dealers and prospective individuals.. How will you ever bring it back to prominence?

So take me on here. I am willing to help, because I know I can too.

Roger, I like the independent sales rep idea. The main problem I see is the line of credit.

Normally a dealer would front the credit for the purchase, then when you get paid, you keep the profit. That may or may not be a problem for some of use. If the deal goes south, after the order, then you end up with an extra set of speakers you need to sell.

What if we would do a finders fee type of setup for people to show there systems. This could work for dealers, or for Klipsch direct. This way the dealer or Klipsch would do the credit and close the deal. The fee would only be paid when the deal is done.

I for one have thought about becoming a Heritage / Pro dealer. I still may. Lets say I did, I would be interested in having people show there systems to help me close a deal away from my store and if that was the case, yes, I would pay for that help. I would think Klipsch direct sales would also think that would be a sound strategy. (pun not intended)

JM

Duke is probably right..

But,..... (Pause) Someone has to offer some crazy idea that would not cost Klipsch a penny too but vastly improve sales? So, I did.

And JM, of course the finders/ sales fee is paid ONLY when the deal is done.. The beauty in Indy or a home deal independent contractor would be this, nothing is exchanged till the deal is done. No cost to anyone at home or at the Klipsch headquarters too.

I like Klipsch direct name for the Heritage lineup. I just want to expose it to a LOT more people is all.

Roger

The independent distributor thing would never work. Too highline a product, and too many variables. Plus, size and $$ become a factor. We arent selling knives, these are 300lb speaker sets. Just the cost in moving these from the factory to the dealer is more than alot of other "big box" stores make on there wares.

A dedicated, well capitalized and supported dealer network is the only way to return the heritage line to its former glory. These are not the stores in the college towns, and there will definatley not be one in every state, as much as we wish. These are major metro market stores, lets be bullish and take the top 20 metro markets in the US (sorry canada). If the factory were to develope its dealers, almost in the franchise fashion, it would set standards for the rest of the "little guys" to aspire to. Again, I cant stress this enough, SHARP, WELL CAPITALIZED, FULLY SUPPORTED DEALER NETWORK.

These types of things dont happen over night. [:)]