Scale down La Scala for 12" woofer

volvotreter

6 minutes ago, JamesS said:

I see a different subwoofer with a Frequency Response 13 - 280 Hz, not sure which can be achieved with the 10" Lascala Cabinet?

a LaScala cabinet starts to roll off at about 140Hz and comes to a useful end of response at about the 89 - 90 Hz range though may play them lower they are generating anywhere near their 100 Hz response level by then. You are forgetting that it is the horn which determines resorption in a horn design this is not like a reflex box. In fact in a LaScala by the time your reach 80Hz it has made the transition from horn loading the driver to a box load and it is this which accounts for the roll off in output level.

On 8/16/2000 at 11:59 AM, volvotreter said:

Hi there!

I got a cornerhorn for use as subwoofer.

now I'am planning to built some La Scalas

Since there is no need for response below

80Hz, I'am thinking to scale them down by

1.25 to utilize a 12" woofer.

Any experiences or suggestions out there?

I was actually thinking of doing the contrary , a lascala with an18 inch woofer  , same overall dimensions but  6 inches wider with a bigger dog house to fit an 18 inch woofer , in your example , you could use the same dimensions but go less wider , and use a smaller dog house along the same parameters for the bass bin -

I'am thinking to scale them down

I was actually thinking of doing the contrary , a lascala with an 18 inch woofer -

I'am thinking to scale them down

I tried to do the contrary , a lascala with an 18 inch woofer -but in the end , I  never got good results -

RandyH as you can see by the response going larger does not buy you much by way of extension. I would be more tempted id yo want more output to stack a pair of LaScala. I you want more extension in both directions then build a Beck California. Very much better response than a Khorn or a Jubilee. The modified version is the most recent build of this horn that I have found. Braces in the mouth is a very good idea.

Beck California interior view 2.jpg

Beck California interior view.jpg

Ernst Beck California horn.gif

Beck California exterior view.jpg

California Response.jpg

Modified California Bass Horn.gif