Heavy metal 2.1 setup.

Blitzula

I'm looking for some setup help. Let's assume an average sized bedroom for the listening area.

I'm a huge rock fan, but in particular I love heavy metal. I listen to a lot of Finnish/Swedish metal (complex death metal with melody-Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, etc.). I like an impactful (doesn't have to be that deep, but it must have great impact/punch) bass. I also prefer extended and clear treble. I like an aggressive, in your face sound. Smooth music bores me....I'm all about the excitement and fun. Neutrality last, visceral enjoyment of the music first. I'm not a high volume listener.

I'd like to build a system from scratch. What would you recommend (source, amp, speakers)? I recently listened to and somewhat enjoyed the RF-35 and RF-7. But I need a source/amp/other speaker recommendations also. And I'd like to buy all this from a store, I've had it with auditioning used equipment or purchasing from the web and having to deal with resales and returns.

Any input is appreciated.

I too am a huge heavy metal/hard rock fan, as are a good handful of other members here, and many of which use the RF7's. I'm blasting - and I do mean BLASTING - some Killswitch Engage as I type, and these speakers are well suited for such music.

Of course, I'd recommend a powerful sub to go along with it. Something from Velodyne, SVS, Rel, or the Klipsch Reference line in my opinion.

"Also need to know how big your room is and how loud do you want to go? How much room do you have for speakers? Is your source mainly CD's? Does your current CD player have a digital output on it for audio?"

I've purposely not gone into my room details...it's MUCH harder for me to find a speaker/source/amp with the sound signature I like than it is to deal with that same speaker in a sub-par room. I do think the RF-7 is too big for my room, but the RF-35 seemed like it would be a good fit. I'm not a loud volume listener (by desire and my condo limitations), so I'd ideally like something that doesn't sacrifice dynamics too much at lower volumes.

Right now I'm thinking my source will alternate between a CD player and a quality soundcard with a digital out (lossless recordings).

"You tell me how much money you have in your budget and I'll get you there."

I currently have a Naim CDX/XPS. I'm probably selling that; I think my budget for source/amp/speakers will be in the $3-5,000 range. I think I basically enjoy a mid-fi sound more than a hi-fi one.

I'm a strong believer in source first, but I'd like something that mates well with a Klipsch speaker/whatever amp setup. I'm also new to speakers, so I'm not sure what kinds of amplification I need to consider/buy.

Oh, and this is strictly for stereo listening...I've got a ht setup that's fine for movies.

KLF-20s and more so the 30s have a great reputation as a rock speaker. The Forte II I can personally say rocks hard. RF-7s have a great following. The ones I heard last week were a bit harsh in the high end. However I think it was due to the integrated receiver and the lack of any room treatments.

Given the bedroom size room, I think heresies and a sub as stated earlier would be a good fit. If you go the Heresy route buy the new III series and give us a report back.

Juicy Music Peach for the pre and NOSValves VRDs for the amps.

Happy hunting!

While all of the advice given above is great, I think of your emphasis on wanting to buy new from a store - and not mess with used stuff. Therefore, in your price range, you are realistically limited to new speakers such as Heresy IIIs or something from the Reference line - and a decent sub.

I'll buck the trend. I would find a pair of the new RF63s and give them a listen. If the new horn is as early reported - and gives you most of the detail of the RF7s - without some of the "bite," there is a possibility (yet unconfirmed) you can get by with [gasp] running them off of a nice integrated amp - at least at some of the volume levels you are looking at. Add an entry sub from HSU or SVS, and a decent integrated in the $800-$1000 price range (with your soundcard) and you are there.

If you still would consider used speakers, I would echo the comments about a new Merlin and VRDs - mate them up with Forte IIs or KLF 30s and a sub - and you are there.

Carl.

I'm with Dean and Rplace on this one. For speakers, go with Heresy/Sub or Fortes (I have the big brother Chorus as my surrounds and love 'em). And I own the VRD/Peach combo (actually the Blueberry for phono) and they absolutely kill! You can get the speakers/sub used, and the amps/preamp will run you $4200 shipped to your door. They occasionally come up used but don't last long when they do.

Mike

• 10 months later...

I have a question resembling this one...so I decided to revive antiquity.

I'm from Belgium so bear with my horrid english.

I'm soon occupying my new home and i have plenty of space to setup a library-music room.

dimensions should be about 5 meters (16ft) by 4 meters (13ft) and 9ft ceiling.

I own a luxman a383 with luxman cdplayer, which I wouldn't switch as of yet if not necessary (if necessary I would).

lots of people advised klipsch to me since I mainly listen to metal/hardrock and some wery downtuned stuff, (autopsy, carnage, angelcorpse, that kind of stuff...) but I also listen to dream theater and the likes as well as old kansas, black sabbath.

Analytical needs? not much but of course I want to hear some :)

Very loud? no, but I need some power ofcourse.

here in Belgium I can order the klipsch range, however I still wanted to hear from klipsch afficionados (most objective I guess ;) )what's best.

The house is very solidly built and there's no neighbours so I'm safe as far as collapsing goes ;)

So I'd start with cables and new speakers as of now, but I want to be futureproof if the luxman goes to hell, that I know my speakers would well go along with new amp (which ones for this kind of muzik?)

Budget for speakers : max 4000 usd/3000 euros, but it doesn't need to be allconsumed.

rf83's with sub?