CDs sound better than vinyl . . .

DizRotus

The thing I did was subscribe to Rhapsody for $9.95/mo, installed a wireless network card, installed a M-Audio 192 mhz sound card, hooked it up to my system and have CD quality music. I have been able to search for and listen to about 90% of anything I ever looked for. Then I buy it on Vinyl if I can find it, if not I just add to library and enjoy that way. They sound quality is as good or better than XM Radio with the benefit of selecting the artist or song you want to hear. I love it!

rigma

I DARE anyone to come to my house with the CD

player of their choice and compare it to my vinyl setup. CDs are

convenient and are great for parties. They sound pretty good

too. You just can't compare the overall sound quality to a really

good vinyl rig.

Those who disagree, and I've said this time and time again, have never heard a really good TT in action.

BTW - Beatles over the Stones. Grateful Dead over the Beatles.[;)]

If your system sounds as good as you claim with LP's, then I have no

doubt anything I bring over will sound like utter crap. I would argue

that you have embarked upon a different chain of compromises that isn't

condusive to other mediums.

Nevertheless, I still want to take you up on your offer...does it have

to be CD player? And can I bring over other equipment too?

I doubt you'd have any of my music on LP anyway.

Garymd:

After the first groove rumble, the clicks pops and scratches, the warped record wow,

the off center hole flutter and wow pitch changes, the excessive hiss at loud levels, the turntable hum at loud levels, the rounded off transients of the cymbals, the bass response 12 db down from the CD disc, the needle jump when you walk accross the room, the feedback through the turntable base, the end groove rumble, the mechanical distortion caused by the mechanical stylus, the cartridge acting like an antenna, you will loose.

JJK

1. Beatles beats Rolling Stones

2. Mercy beats Justice

3. Philosophy beats Religion

4. Points and Dwell beats Electronic Ignition

5. Corona beats Heinken

6. Red Heads beat Blondes

Pauln

1. who cares?

2. Justice is deserved - mercy isn't

3. Philosophy IS Religion and visa versa!

5. Corona, without any doubt

6. personality beats hair color any day

Garymd:

After the first groove rumble, the clicks pops and scratches, the warped record wow,

the off center hole flutter and wow pitch changes, the excessive hiss at loud levels, the turntable hum at loud levels, the rounded off transients of the cymbals, the bass response 12 db down from the CD disc, the needle jump when you walk accross the room, the feedback through the turntable base, the end groove rumble, the mechanical distortion caused by the mechanical stylus, the cartridge acting like an antenna, you will loose.

JJK

Maybe if he had your tin ears!! [;)]

Garymd:

JJK

LMAO! Now that's funny..

BTW, my TT is very avg compared to most on here, and it bests my cd player (which is avg as well). Yes, there are a few clicks and pops during quiet passages on some records, but I can put up with it. Even with the faults that come with vinyl, it is much more enjoyable to listen to. To me it sounds more like live music than CD does.

To stay on topic I can say I have never rented a CD or an album from the library, so cannot comment.

Mike

I DARE anyone to come to my house with the CD player of their choice and compare it to my vinyl setup. CDs are convenient and are great for parties. They sound pretty good too. You just can't compare the overall sound quality to a really good vinyl rig.

Those who disagree, and I've said this time and time again, have never heard a really good TT in action.

BTW - Beatles over the Stones. Grateful Dead over the Beatles.[;)]

Ok, but the first dust pop means I win.[;)]

I love my Meridian CD player. Not an average one, though. Comparing a cheap Japanese POS cd player that cost a couple of hundred bucks, yeah, maybe your right.

DM

I would venture to say that no $20K player could rival a $3K TT. I have been working from home all day, and have done nothing but listen to music since 7:30 this morning. CD's, vinyl, just one after another. The CD's don't even compare to the sonic bliss that the vinyl reproduces. This is just one man's opinion, but I'm sticking to it. [:D]

Mike

That is a splendid stance to take. Admirable in its simplicity and apparent willingness to take on all comers. Unconvincing and without any factual references what-so-ever, but still "in-your-face" - one has to respect that level of audacity.[;)]

Two can play at that game: I say that 78's sound better than 33's. There - take that!

DM

Crikey Mike!

How many $20K players have you heard? The most expensive players I have heard are all in the $15-18,000 range. There is a Linn CD player (I think) that is about $20K that I have not heard but have heard great things about and I would love to put it up against my rather lower cost TT but I would not want to bet on the result.

Arguments as to which is better (digital or analogue) are fruitless as much will depend on what is important to the individual listener. The odd pop, click and bit of background hiss really dont bother me at all. I value the portrayal of the sonics above and around that higher - and prefer the way that vinyl does it.

Further, I have never experienced a soundstage from CD that compares to vinyl. It seems only vinyl can break out of the physical distance between the speakers and appear to come from everywhere in front of you (outside of surround sound systems of course).

As has been stated many times - a good, clean vinyl record in good condition on a decent TT that is properly setup is hard to beat. Take any of those factors out of the equation, however, and it may not be.

Garymd:

JJK

I see you owned a turntable too. Forgot about the off center hole,hole,hole, good point. How about the poor quality control issues, warped,full of skips right out of the jacket, and poor sound quality. I stopped buying them at $7.98, got ripped off long enough. Don't you miss making tapes on your reel to reel, only to hear the tell tale RUMBLE. Your right I miss that, that, that,pop,tic,that.

• 4 months later...