TAD 150 pre-amp ,Any Owners??

markgod

I was wondering if anyone out there has the TAD 150 pre amp,if you do could you elaborate on the benefits that it provides sound wise . I have the Cayin TA-30 from Paul G at Buzzy Bee and have La Scala speakers and was wondering about the improvement vs. cost factor. Thanks for any info . you can provide.

Mark G

lar418
1x1.gif
21.gif

Not Ranked
Joined on 09-14-2003
Chicago
Posts 46

Re: Bass Reflex Mod For LaScala?

icon_toolbar_left.gifReplyicon_toolbar_right.gificon_toolbar_left.gifQuoteicon_toolbar_right.gif

spacer.gif

Klipsch Industrial La Scala Speaker w/DJK Bass Bin Mod, Tube Audio Design TAD-150 Preamp, Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 (100 Watt/mono blocks), Marantz CD-67SE Modded and Magnum Dynalab F11 Tuner.

Shoot Lar418 a PM or email about his TAD 150. I have a Cayin TA 30 also and have liked it very much. Trying the SET thing this weekend and eventually VRDs.

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late response, but work has been a bear lately.

I've had all of Paul's products. The Cayin TA-30 with all the mods, 2-TAD 150's, TAD-1000 mono blocks and recently the TAD-60. I have 2 systems and tried each of these pieces in both.

The Cayin TA-30 was a very musical amp and it did benefit a little from the TAD-150, but to me it sounded better with the volume of the TAD-150 set all the way up and using the TA-30 to adjust the gain. The 12AT7 in the preamp really needs some power to open up. The extra gain from the preamp did add some punch and a little bit of clarity, but to me it wasn't a dramatic difference. The remote, headphone jack and phono sections were very nice features. The TAD-150 did add a little bit of veiling, but I haven't had a preamp that didn't add something unless it was passive. Passive preamps can sound thin and actives will add some dynamics, but they also add their sound signature to the music.

Regarding the TAD-150, it was one of the nicest sounding tube preamp that I have heard, but I feel that sometimes tubes can be used too much in a system. A tube somewhere in the system can be a good thing either in a source component, preamp or power amp, but if everything is tubed the system can get too soft, warm and round sounding. That is why I wasn't crazy about the Cayin/TAD-150 combo. Just my opinion.

I'm also running La Scala's and did have a slight ground loop problem, but I solved it by using cheater plugs on the amps and had only one piece in the system grounded.

The TAD-1000 and TAD-60 are a nice step up from the Cayin with more power, dynamics and clarity.

I had the TAD-1000's for a year and recently scaled back to the TAD-60. When I was using the TAD-1000's I actually connected them directly to my CD player and achieved the greatest clarity. Later I tried a Creek passive preamp for convenience and achieved the same clarity. The TAD-60 has the same sound characteristics as the TAD-1000, but everything is slightly smaller. The dynamics and soundstage depth and width are reduced somewhat. The TAD-1000 is like the TAD-60 on steroids. The midrange is a little sweeter with the TAD-60 though.

I feel the TAD-60 is a super value and am using it in my 2-channel HT system with the following pieces.

Sony NS-999ES DVD (with filters set to soft)

Sansui TU-S7 tuner

Mod Squad Deluxe Line Drive passive preamp

TAD-60 amp (Like the sweet midrange and get the slam from the subs with the plate amps)

Modded Klipsch RB-35's and Madisound/Seas coaxials (I switch back and forth, since I like both. Seas is smaller and more wife friendly, it may win out.)

Sonacraft subwoofer with 150 watt plate amps

Main system:

Modded Marantz CD67-SE

Modded Magnum Dyanlab FT-11 tuner

Modded Creek OBH-12 preamp

Modded Maxx 806 Superphon SS chip amp (Like the slam of SS and very close to tube midrange)

Modded La Scala's with many upgrades and a version of the DJK/bass mod

Hope this helps,

Larry

Both the Creek and the Maxx 806 were modded by Stan Warren. I know he changed the volume pot and a few caps in the Creek. I purchased both of these pieces from a fellow member of the Chicago Audio Society. If interested just email me and I can look into the cost and time in having another Creek modded.