I have $800 to buy a reciever and a 5.1 setup. Suggestions please

elgrillo

I just recently purchased the promedia 5.1 setup, but I am not sure if I am going to keep it, because I bought it mainly to use as a home theatre, and it is a mission to get dts from computer speakers. Well my budget is $800 for 5.1 speakers and a reciever. Ok maybe $900, but then I will have to eat cereal for dinner. I appreciate all the help

Get a decent pair of fronts and a decent digital receiver and add the rest as you go. You could probably find a Harmon Kardon 310 and a pair of the RF-3's in that range. If you buy a whole system for $900, you will probably out grow it in a few months. Also check out the System 6 Synergy setup. It has a decent offering for a little more than you want to spend once you get a receiver. Also check out www.ubid.com for discontinued Lengend series speakers and discounted receivers. Just my two cents.

JT

ps: I tell my friends when they go audio shopping to come up with a price range that they are comfortable with and then spend double that amount. This helps to prevent first time buyers remorse after a few months. I have had my system for a few years and it is time to upgrade, but the bank that owns my house expects me to write them a mortgage check every month.

I have so many different options, but I am not sure what to do. Like I said I have the promedia, but I am not too happy with them. I currently have a very old pair of fisher model ds-177 book shelf speakers that are connected to my friends aiwa reciever(which he will be taking back soon). In my opinion they sound better than the promedias when playing dvd's, with the exception of the bass effects that sound better with the pro's. But I get more of the directionality effect with the fishers. Now I tested them by playing the Matrix. I used my samsung dvd player with the fishers and I used an audigy with win dvd to hear the promedia's. I don't know if the differences in the setup is what caused the fishers to sound better but they did. I was really hoping for the pro's to sound better, I was even trying to convince myself, but my ears thought differently. Strangely enough, oposed to popular belief, I think they sound better with music than with dvd's. I got a good deal on them so I don't want to return them, so I was wondering if I could buy a reciever and use the promedia sub along with the fishers so I could get the best of both worlds. Anyone ever try this? How would you set this up. And if anyone is interested in buying the 5.1's reply. Maybe Canadians who can't see them till december(or so I have heard). I can still return them so I have the option of maybe getting a seperate sub like the ksw-10 klipsch sub. I paid $300 for the promedias, not to mention that I still have to buy the audio tornado($100), so please help me I have to decide quick or I can't return them. What would you do?

Hey EARS I would really like to hear from you. You seem to be the most knowledgeable person on the forums. You should start charging for advice. Jk

It seems that you have enough money anyway. What do you do or a living? Is your real name Bill Gates? You have more audio equipment than anybody I know.

I didn't receive all my equipment yet but here's what I just purchaced on my budget. Denon 1601 5.1 rec from u-bid for $234, a Denon dvd 1000 dvd/cd player on e-bay for $190, and a Klipsch Quintet/KSW10 surround outfit for $549 at www.acousticsounddesign.com. With shipping I'll be just over $1000. I priced just a Denon head unit and the Klipsch outfit @ Tweeter a yr or so ago and they wanted $1500. It sure does pay to shop around!! Hope this can help you out.

Elgrillo the Klipsch Quintet/KSW12(for your own good try to find a deal on the KSW12...not the 10).The KSW12 sounds much better,its not just about power.

The Denon 1601 Chappy recomended should stay,great inexpensive reciever.The inexpensive Kenwood reciever are also good buys.

Even if you will eat Kraft Macaroni N Cheese all year and 49 cents burgers will fill your belly get the KSW12.

cwm27.gif

Knowledge I have some,yes.As about being the most knowledgable? I cant tell there are many knowledgable BB members here.

Elgrillo thanks for your trust,in TheEAR(s) earfull of sound knowledge.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears