NEED HELP WITH HD DVD PLAYER!!!

ApEx

I recently hooked up my Sony 60" Grand WEGA and setup the surround sound and such. I tried playing a DVD using my Xbox 360 as a dvd player. Well when the DVD started playing it looked really bad so I checked the format and it was only playing the DVD at 480p. So I figured that I cant play DVD's on HDTV with the XBOX. So I go out and buy a Samsung DVD player from bestbuy costing $100 dollars. The box says outputs in 720p/1080i Digital. So I come home and hook it all up, setup the DVD player so it outputs in componet. Run the DVD and same problem. Instead of playing the DVD in 480p though now it is playing in 480i, EVEN WORSE. I check the setup on DVD player again and it will only let me change the format to 720p or 1080i if im using a HDMI cable. So for me it is looking like I cant get good quatily unless I use HDMI, I dont understand that though because I see HDTVs all the time playing DVDs good in using componet. Please if anyone can help me here it would be greatly appriciated

I did some intensive research and I figured out what I got to do. Turns out that Hi-Def conversion DVD players I only converts DVDs to 720p or 1080i when connected to the TV threw a HDMI cable. So tomorrow im going to buy a HDMI cable from BestBuy(could save 20 dollars if I order it) But I dont want to wait anymore. Went threw enough frustration I just want to get it.

There is a way to manually change the output from 480i to 480p. It should be in the Samsung's owner's manual.

Does your TV have an HDMI input? If so, why not just buy the cord? That's the only way you're going to get 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. I don't know of any DVD players that will go any higher than 480p through component video.

One more question/observation...60" Grand Wega TV and a $100 DVD player?? Did you blow your budget on the TV? [:)]

I was originally just going to use my Xbox 360 as a DVD player thinking it would play DVD's in 720p or 1080i, but I found out it plays them in 480p so I ran to BestBuy picked one up, It has Hi-Def conversion to 720p and 1080i so I dont see why I should spend a ton of money on a DVD player when this one has what I need. Tomorrow im getting the HDMI cable so all will be well. I checked the reviews on this DVD player(Samsung DVD-HD845) and ppl say that the Hi-Def conversion on it works reallly good, so why should I spend a ton of money on a DVD player when this one does everything I need it to do?