Connecting Receiver, DVD Player and new Plasma Television

D-Rex

I have my DVD player, an Oppo, connected to my new Toshiba 42HP95. My receiver is a Denon 3802 which doesn't have any HDMI connections so I have the Oppo connected directly to the TV via the DVI to HDMI cable. My question is how do I get this to work through my receiver? Since the DVD player is connected directly into the TV do I have to run the audio out of the television and into the receiver?

Thanks,

D

As easy indicated, the sound and video do not need to both pass through the receiver. In my setup, the video goes to the projector via component or SVGA cables, the audio goes to the receiver, I select the audio I wish to listen to via the receiver and select the video at the projector. No problem.

My Sony DVP-NS70H connect to my TV via HDMI. I use an optical cable connecting the unit to my Yamaha Receiver.

Only thing is, when I watch a DVD, I have to lower the volume of the TV

to zero. I can't mute it because I always see the mute message on the

screen and I can't selectively disable the audio from the HDMI. When I

got Star Wars 3, I wasn't impressed with the sound at all. It was only

after watching the whole movie that I noticed I was hearing most of the

sound coming from the TV itself and not the receiver.

Thanks guys! I did get it to work, a combination of hooking the cables up correctly, and making some adjustments to the Oppo. It was much easier when everything ran through the receiver but it will be a while before I can afford that model of Denon!

Everything works great! I am getting my TV stand this weekend and will have pictures to post sometime next week. It will be a modest set-up but one I think will be very pleasing to me!

D