What has been your best mod/upgrade over the years?

ranjith

Lets face it, people are constantly modding and upgrading their equipment all the time. Some changes might've been quite minor, while others, drastically alter the way your system performs. There are tons of mods to speakers, amps, room treatments etc etc... but personally through all the years of being an audiophile, which single mod or upgrade or change has had the most impact on your system?

The answer is a simple one. It was nothing "sexy".

I simply moved my K-Horns to the long wall and placed my listening chair to be at a tangent to the face of the speakers. In effect, I simply followed the instructions.

The improvement is real.

Notice how I have not used the following phrases:

1. The sound is more revealing

2. cryogenic

3. Skin effect

4. Oxygen free

I'll stop there....

Good luck,

-Tom

1. Moving the Khorns from the 12' wall to the 16' wall.

2. Replacing the Khorn K401 with the Altec 511b horns (still using K55-M drivers)

3. Putting P-traps on my Cornwall squawkers (K55-V drivers)

4. Caulking my Cornwall K600 squawkers

I actually haven't upgraded or touched a single thing in my system for over a year now. It used to be I couldn't go a month without swapping something out. I'm amazed with myself.

Gosh --me too.

After I got rid of the Yamaha receiver, I went through several preamps and several amps-mostly Adcom. I still have the Adcom DAC, but once I got a B&K amp and preamp--I haven't felt the need to shop all over the web for the nest improvement. DeanG's crossover upgrade made it all even smoother--

Hard to say been so many lately for my LaScala based system,

I want to say going to the Altec 511/902 but the dedicated BagEnd sub system blows away the Velodyne's I have had.Going to a 2way setup with that sub system using an active x-over and bi amping(SET tube anps for highs/SS for bass) was right there.I did all this after collecting the pieces for over a year or so.

As good as these recent changes have made the sound I found myself seriously working on the room...finally.With some basic diffusion and absorption as well as speaker placement I have realized as big an impact as any one of the above probably more.

My vote goes for room treatments because they effect any level system and are relatively cheap to do.

Greg

OK hands down the switch to Altec 511b horns for my squawkers. After that I'd say ALK networks and then the CT125 tweeters. My next big improvement will come when I finish my Center ALK La ScAlteCrites. Only problem is right now I have "m00n's disease" on that project.

Best thing was reading this forum after 20 years to find out you had to

space these horns apart. Moving the La Scala from 11 feet apart

to 18 feet apart let me experience true imaging and a real sounstage

for the first time in my live! So I then bought KHorns!

Best mod to the KHorns (so far) was to update the 25-year old caps. Best $100 I could spend. The clarity gained was immense.

Today I installed the BEC CT-125 tweeters and cymbals stand out like

never before. The change is evolutionary rather than

revolutionary but well worth the C$237 it cost me.

Next up later this spring is a real crossover update, and the refreshed

crossovers will cascade to the La Scala. I will likely get the

ALK Universal-A kit and assemble it myself. I don't know what to

really expect from this change, and should keep my expectations within

reason.

I must say that I'm very intrigued about a new mid-horn and would love

to hear one. Anyone in Quebec City or Montreal have sucha

mod? The drop-in replacement from Al looks interesting!

(Great thread!)