Just SET ing here enjoying the music.

jbsl

I've found the Sylvania "chrome top" to be the best inexpensive 6SN7.

Both the RCA and engraved base Sylvania have an edge over the Russian or Chinese popular priced 2A3s. The Sylvanias are smooth as butter in the mids and highs, the RCAs just slightly less so with a bit more bass authority.

I can't afford to experiment with the new high priced 2A3s. Prefering instead to stay within my comfort zone.

Rick

Second I want to thank Erik for taking so much of his time to look over the amps and make sure they were okay after shipping.

Erik is a great guy and kind enough to help me with a pair of Wrights when I had a problem with what was a questionable Buyer on Audiogon.

Thanks again Erik. People like you make this forum and hobby a great experience.

Chris

what a great review! I just sold off a brand spanking new McIntosh MC275 tube amp in favor of my lowly SET amp..just because I preferred the sound.

It's funny you say that. But I just heard some new MC275's and I was disappointed.. They sounded flat and uninvolving. Maybe it was the system they were set up with. [8-)]

xman,

Gald to hear your experience with the Moondogs has been positive for the most part. I think there are different tubes that will influence the sound of the Moondogs, but also the parts in them will have an influence. I've never been able to determine if that pair had the Ultimate Upgrade package installed. It makes a difference. Blackgates, Jensen PIO's etc.

As for tubes, my tastes differs from many of the popular choices for drivers and rectifiers, most are not cheap. The selection of parts and the rectifier choice will change what you hear in the bass region. (Vintage Mullard 5AR4 instead of the GZ37.) I have not had the opportunity to spend time with the AVVT 2A3, but among the others which includes KR's(TIBs) and the new JJ 2A3s, I prefer the RCA 2A3 blackplates for outputs. If you are interested in a list of drivers and rectifiers, send me an email, e_long@sbcglobal.net.

FYI, my Moondogs are in a room that is approx. 18x30 with 18 ft ceiling and they have no problem filling the room. I listen mainly to jazz with acoustic instruments, though my 17 yr old's hip hop comes through loud and strong in the bass department. In fact he was jamming this afternoon. I am not a member of the 100db or more club for any type of music. Again parts, rectifiers and drivers do make a difference, along with the room. Khorns may make a difference also, but I am not suggesting a speaker change, but things that may make a difference in your experience with 2A3 Moondogs in particular.

Klipsch out.

Interesting that this would surface again. I just purchased the Moondogs from James, and they are on their way to my house. I have a Merlin for the front end, and will mostly listen to classical and some jazz, feeding my LaScalas. The room is only 13 x 21 or so. I'm thinking that for the volume I listen at, these will be superb.

Bruce

I owe I owe the Moondogs had to find a good new home.

I took a 10 day trip to Japan knowing I would have to sell some of my gear.

The main reason is the Moondogs would not be able to drive my left and right channels in my home theater.

I have been very satisfied with the Moondogs and maybe next year I can try out some 300B SET amps.