"Definately" use spell-check

DizRotus

It's definite not definate! The word "finite" is the foundation of "definite." To the best of my knowledge, there is no such word as "finate," i.e., there are no such words as "definate" or "definately."

I know spelling doesn't count and some of the best information comes from members who couldn't spell correctly at gunpoint, but it's getting difficult to decipher some of the more creative spellings on the forum.

If you type your posts into a Word document, use spell-check and then paste the edited text into your post (EDIT: or use the forum's less user friendly spell-check as Moon suggests below), many of the more common mistakes would definitely be eliminated. Unfortunately, spell-check wont catch the improper use of your and you're or their and there, as each is a correctly spelled word. Fortunately, its easy to figure out what the writer intended.

Sometimes its an enjoyable challenge trying to guess what the misspelled words were meant to be. Other times its a PITA and the temptation is to ignore a post that might contain valuable, albeit misspelled, information.

OK, enuff wranting. Deafinittlee injoi the rest've you're weakind.

Edited by DizRotus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you type your posts into a Word document, use spell-check and then paste the edited text into your post; many of the more common mistakes would definitely be eliminated.

There is a spell checker built into the forum. It's right next to the post a picture button. It has a check mark and ABC on it. [;)]

Righting good English takes moor than just using a spell checker. To many people just do knot (naught?) take the thyme to review watt they've written, and just hit submit. It isn't a problem with schools not teaching proper righting skills - my sun is in first grade, and the expectations reguarding what he's expected to be able too due this year are weigh beyond what whee were required two no.

And this passed, except for the reguarding part, which I think is really a valid construct. The Queen dispatched a new platoon of guards, reguarding the abandoned outpost...

For me spelling is sort of OK, it's the puncuation I flunk out on.........

Ahhh not a big deal...........I'd rather chat with a nice guy who has poor spelling than a grumpy english teacher anyday.

edited: .....and my sub still puts out lots of base.

Neil is right though. My wife worked as a copy editor/proof reader. I still let some things slip through. I didn't finish college, but read a lot and have to correct a lot of what other people type.

Words have meanings, but some just don't seem to understand that. Guess I'm turning into an old curmudgeon!

Bruce

Basic spelling isn't something that a person needs a college degree to be able to learn. Its taught in kindergarten.

The last three guys that our store hired are the WORST spellers I have ever seen. We have job repair envelopes with words such as 'appraisal' printed right on them and they still spell it wrong![*-)][8-)]

European communications

The European Union Commission have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expected to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords containing "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst place....

Travisc-

That Euro post was very funny. Im reminded of a joke.

Q: What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

A: Bilingual.

Q: What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

A: Multilingual.

Q: What do you call someone who speaks one language?

A: American.

Funny, but sadly true.

The trend to treat American English as the universal common denominator language has positive and negative consequences.

POSITIVE

• Its necessary to have one language that certain professions, e.g., pilots and air traffic controllers can use.

It makes it easier for students worldwide to select a second language to study.

• It makes it easier for English speaking (1st or 2nd language) individuals to travel and/or conduct international business.
NEGATIVE

• The more others speak English as a second language, the less pressure there is on Americans to learn a second language.

<li>With English as the universal second language, its difficult for those with English as a first language to select a second language. Should it be Spanish, Chinese, Russian, German or something else? Each has its strengths and limitations.

• American English is a difficult language to learn, due in large part to the blending of so many other languages into American English, which creates a speller's nightmare.
Please don't misunderstand the import of my original post. I too would rather exchange ideas with an interesting individual who can't spell than an uptight know-it-all. Furthermore, I would never embarrass someone by correcting his or her spelling or grammar. Nonetheless, basic spelling is still important. If Im reviewing a resume that has definite misspellings, other things being equal, it will lose out to the resumes that are well written. The poor (read careless in the days of spell-check) speller will not get the chance to be interviewed where his or her positive attributes might be evident. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Edited by DizRotus

Forum posters are afforded the option of editing their offerings for accuracy or spelling. I don't mind reading posts with personalized grammar and creative spelling. At times I do wonder about how these habits affect the everyday lives of the guilty parties. Oh well, c'est la vie!!