Who's bringing family?

We're contempating making this a family vacation, with Hope being one

leg of the trip. My teenage daughters (15 and 17) would probably

like it if other teens were in attendance. I know how rivetting

it can be for them, hanging out with beer-drinking audio geeks, but

other young-uns might allow them to get away from such intense

intellectual stimulation. I mean, after all, it's a vacation!

So, who's bringin' whom?

• Moderators

There shouldn't be any problem with bringing minor children to the plant. However, we would like to know of any ahead of time, and we'd also like to divide them up in different tour groups so we can have a better handle on supervision. As you can imagine, we take safety and liability issues seriously, especially for the Friday tour of the working plant.

Please send me an email with the ages of the children that will be coming.

Thank you!

I'm hoping to bring Jan with me. Last year she planned to be in Hope, but had an 'on call' situation with her work that prevented her from being there.

Our college age daughters will be out of state, though. Wish they were going to be around to meet your girls, Fini. They could at least commiserate having geeks for dads.

seti--

Well, my aunt & uncle live in Pigeon Forge, TN, and have been wanting us to visit, so I'm trying to figure out a combo trip, hoping it's not too much like a scene from National Lampoon's Vacation...Wally World/Dollywood...what's the diff? My brother tells me Pigeon Forge is a pretty weird place. I might just fit in. ;^)

• Moderators

Yep, that's it!

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are VERY touristy....lots of trinket shops, lot of small "carnival" like places for kids......if you go during the height of summer, beware of traffic. We were stuck for what seemed like an eternity on the highway leading into Gatlinburg from the interstate. I forget which highway...

I didn't get the opportunity to check out Dollywood, so no opinions there. I'm sure kids love it. The only good part of the area (to me) is Smoky Mountain National Park. Once you get into the park, it's back to nature, and all the annoying shops and attractions go away--and it's just beautiful. Still can be fairly crowded, though, but not nearly as bad as the streets of town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Yep, that's it!

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are VERY touristy....lots of trinket shops, lot of small "carnival" like places for kids......if you go during the height of summer, beware of traffic. We were stuck for what seemed like an eternity on the highway leading into Gatlinburg from the interstate. I forget which highway...

I didn't get the opportunity to check out Dollywood, so no opinions there. I'm sure kids love it. The only good part of the area (to me) is Smoky Mountain National Park. Once you get into the park, it's back to nature, and all the annoying shops and attractions go away--and it's just beautiful. Still can be fairly crowded, though, but not nearly as bad as the streets of town.

Ditto, everything Amy says.

Great Smoky Mountains...my favorite vacation spot. Amy, its 441 you were stuck on. Traffic for miles and miles and miles.

Never been to Dollywood...don't think I am missing too much.

Cades Cove, Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, Gatlinburg to Cherokee...all must sees. Plan a full day for Cades Cove and a full day for trip to Cherokee. It is awesome. I couldn't pick one over the other so be sure you have time to do all three.

We visit those areas every time we go to GSM (at least once a year, sometimes two or three times a year). Cades Cove, deer will walk right up to your car. Almost guaranteed to see black bears in summer. Turkeys, too.

It is miserable in summer so be sure to bring very light clothing.

Fini, I hope you guys will have a few days in that area to take in the sights. Try to get out of town as much as you can.

Thanks for the great tips! We still have not nailed-down how many of us will be coming, as a lot of things are still up in the air here. My wife just recently lost her job (company sold), but in the last week was offered a job with the new company (Lenox)! She'll have to do some more travelling, and we're trying to figure out if the Hope trip will work for her. My oldest daughter graduates high school in June, and has asked us to send her to Milan to stay with a friend for a couple of weeks. Those details are extremely sketchy (like, uh, does his Mom know you're coming, and what is the contact info??). The youngest may come to Hope. I don't know yet. Sorry to be so vague!