JBL L250Ti's - Whatare they worth? (Duke? Anyone?)

This thread from about this time last year may help.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5239

It appears anywhere from $1000 - $1800 or more based on condition of the cabinets and whether not the woofer or other drivers need refoaming. The Ti designation was for the titanium tweeters I believe and I think the cabinet veneer was Teak.

They are gorgeous speakers, my brother in law Gilbert's parents have a pair in their living room. The tall triangular cabinets are awesome. Pair them with the B-460 subwoofer and BX-63a network and you will have one of the best setups ever produced.

I had the baby brother JBL subwoofer the B-380, and it was very impressive.

The JBL250Ti is one of my favorite speakers!

I heard them when they were new at the dealers and I have a friend(who bought his used) that has owned them for 15 years. When they are setup properly(should be used spaced from the room walls) they are very dynamic and clean sounding and the top end is extremely good IMHO.

The only drawback is they do require refoaming of the woofer and midbass drivers after several years. My friend has refoamed his twice since he has owned them.

You might want to speak with a speaker rebuilder just to get an idea of what refoaming them would run and how long they usually last. Seems like my friend has gotten about 10 years between refoaming.

mike[:)]

Edit: Talked to my friend and he said only the woofers have foam surrounds that will need refoaming.

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to update my experience listening to the JBL 250Ti speakers for Chris or anyone thinking about these speakers.

In my previous post I mentioned how good my experience with them had been well I have another friend who also has KHorns and has just bought a set of JBL 250Ti and his room has totally different conditions(ie: Large Room with Cathedral Ceilings and a very open floor plan going into other rooms) than anything I had heard them in before (approx. 16' x 25' with 8' to 9' ceiling) .

JBL suggest a minimum of 100 watts and all I can say in a room this size think several hundred watts. With a very high quality Tube Amp (135 watts) they where just begining to open up. Also the acoustic conditions evidently was also causing the usually Very Good Tonal Balance of the JBL's to be very off (mids and highs levels were low compared to the bass and mid-bass which I believe was due to the wide dispersion design of the JBL 250Ti being used in such a large space).

This proved to be a good example of how some speakers and rooms just don't match.

Whats really eye opening was how much the KHorns love this same room while the JBL's obviously don't. I believe the Controled Horn Directivity is a Big Factor here as well as how easily the Khorns can be driven with an ultimate SPL Ability that the JBL's could never reach in this space.

I really like the JBL 250Ti when conditions are right for them but after this experience I have even more respect for the KHorns Design and Musicality for lack of a better word.

Chris,

You should check out the Lansing Heritage forums. Thos guys (for the most part) are as nice as the folks here, and will give some straight answers about these.

Mike,

Does the guy who had his refoamed twice smoke or something. Even for JBLs that seems like he's had them done pretty often. I guess I'm just happy with my 4311s that have the treated paper surrounds thet are still good after 30+ years.

The 250Ti won't keep up with the Khorn in that size room for sure. DRs just can't do it the way horns can.

Bruce

ps Duke's got limited internet access right now, so he's not been around for a while.

Chris,

You should check out the Lansing Heritage forums. Thos guys (for the most part) are as nice as the folks here, and will give some straight answers about these.

Mike,

Does the guy who had his refoamed twice smoke or something. Even for JBLs that seems like he's had them done pretty often. I guess I'm just happy with my 4311s that have the treated paper surrounds thet are still good after 30+ years.

The 250Ti won't keep up with the Khorn in that size room for sure. DRs just can't do it the way horns can.

Bruce

ps Duke's got limited internet access right now, so he's not been around for a while.

Hi Bruce

No there isn't anyone who smokes in his home and also he has very little sunlight in that room with none hitting the JBLs. I believe it is usual for these to go 10 to 15 years at most before refoaming is needed.

Yes I never expected the JBL's to keep up with the KHorns in ultimate SPL Ability but I believe it is another good example of how Horns with some controled directivity are better IMHO at dealing with varied room acoustics versus a wide dispersion design. The Speaker and Room are absolutely tied together and the end result is the Sum of Both.

My parents run a pair of L250's in a room that's approx. 60ft x 30ft, and that room has a relatively high ceiling. Approx. 15ft to 17ft high.

The JBL's are more than up to the task of filling the room with beatiful song too. And they can also vibrate the cedar lined walls with authority and without ever so much as a hickup. Power is derived from a then (1980's) top of the line Carver. You do not need 100's of watts to drive them either, that is just plain rediculous.

Those speakers are now over 20years old, and I've had to refoam the woofers once. While I was home over the Xmas holidays, I checked them out and they still sound great. My Khorns are the only speakers I own that will out shine them, but not by a huge margin, but better. Or maybe it's my gear that's better, I dunno, but the L250's are definitely no speaker to turn your nose up at.

My parents run a pair of L250's in a room that's approx. 60ft x 30ft, and that room has a relatively high ceiling. Approx. 15ft to 17ft high.

The JBL's are more than up to the task of filling the room with beatiful song too. And they can also vibrate the cedar lined walls with authority and without ever so much as a hickup. Power is derived from a then (1980's) top of the line Carver. You do not need 100's of watts to drive them either, that is just plain rediculous.

Those speakers are now over 20years old, and I've had to refoam the woofers once. While I was home over the Xmas holidays, I checked them out and they still sound great. My Khorns are the only speakers I own that will out shine them, but not by a huge margin, but better. Or maybe it's my gear that's better, I dunno, but the L250's are definitely no speaker to turn your nose up at.

Gilbert I'm not sure if you think I was saying bad things about the JBL 250Ti or what but the opposite is how I feel about them. I still really like them but their design features are quite different from the KHorns but they definitly have there good qualities also. I had a rare opportunity to listen to them in the same room/equipment with KHorns and hear the results in that particular situation. I thought Chris(Tigerwoods) might be interested as I was and others who might be interested in them who have also owned KHorns of what they might experience from them compared to the KHorns. As far as refoaming goes I spoke with my other friend and his speakers were refoamed when he first bought them and just recently after 14 years he had them refoamed again. He asked the rebuilder(who has been in business for many years and with alot of experience with JBL) the first time they were refoamed how long they would last and he was told approx. 10 years or a little more was fairly normal.

As far as my observation that a person in a large room would probably want to look into amps with several hundred watts available I still believe is good advise. I posted the sales brochure spec sheet on the JBL 250Ti and as can be seen they are 1w = 90db @ 1 meter efficiency specification compared to the KHorns 1w = 104db @ 1 meter specification. This is a 14db difference which means if you are use to live levels of reproduction with the KHorns and you replace them with the JBL 250Ti then your power requirements are going to be very different. My friend who just bought the JBL 250Ti's will often listen to his KHorns with power readings of approx. 13 watts at the loudest points although I have seen him play around with levels reaching 60 watts for fun but of course that only last for a few minutes because of course that is extremely loud even in his large space. Now to begin to reach those same levels with the JBLs lets see what happens.

JBL Klipschorn

90db = 1watt 89db = .03125watt

93db = 2watt 92db = .0625watt

96db = 4watt 95db = .125watt

99db = 8watt 98db = .25watt

102db = 16watt 101db = .5watt

105db = 32watt 104db = 1watt

108db = 64watt 107db = 2watt

111db = 128watt 110db = 4watt

114db = 256watt 113db = 8watt

117db = 512watt 116db = 16watt

Looking at the Above Information for 114db the KHorn requires 10watts while the JBL 250Ti will require 256watts. Now the JBL's maximum power specification is 400 watts but the Klipschorn still has more headroom to go. The point of the above chart is just to show that if a person is use to listening to his KHorns with 13 watts on peaks to reach some recordings live levels at their listening position the Power requirements of the JBL would easily require amps in the 200watt to 400watt range to keep up with the KHorns.

Again I really like some of the abilities of the JBL 250Ti such as Bass Extension and Imaging but as I said there are important differences in power requirements and how they will integrate with the room versus the KHorn in particular.

• 12 years later...

Almost 13 years to the date and....here they are (at least a pair that I got today). 

One owner speakers and they are the 250TIs, not the 250s.  No blemishes and the surrounds are all good.  Even have the original grills and fabric which is not torn nor do they have any holes. 

Some Chorus IIs for perspective, plus I need to store these here because I am doing a project in another room. 

image.jpeg.3a4530dfbf145a00461f04ed61766f20.jpeg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Almost 13 years to the date and....here they are (at least a pair that I got today). 

One owner speakers and they are the 250TIs, not the 250s.  No blemishes and the surrounds are all good.  Even have the original grills and fabric which is not torn nor do they have any holes. 

I don't understand.  Did you get the pair in the thread from 13 years ago, AND you got another pair today?

In either or both cases, congratulations!  :emotion-19:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Some Chorus IIs for perspective, plus I need to store these here because I am doing a project in another room. 

Congratulations @tigerwoodKhorns. I know how difficult these are to acquire. Welcome to the club. Good to see I am not the only one running JBL and Klipsch rooms. I run Chorus II's also.

Here is how I am set up currently. It is a small room, so compromise is required. They just sound so much better in there than in the open concept upstairs.

20190307_110552 (1).jpg

• Like 3