Bass Traps and acoustic panels

GC456

I have almost finished constructing 8 2'x8' absorption panels. Currently they are just leaning against the side walls and the change has been very noticeable in my room. I made them using 2" mineral wool. My first impression is that my Khorns sound much more defined and precise. Before I place them permanently, I hope to do some listening with and without the panels to get a fresh impression of the changes. I later hope to make some corner bass traps and eventually add some diffusers to the back of the room.

These panels do make a huge change, I do have to be careful not to deaden the room too much.

Rudy,

It is great that you were able to follow through on this project.

Placement will be important. So will the issue of hou you mount them. If possible you may to experiment and mount them a couple or several inches away from the wall so that there is an air gap behind them. This can extend the absorption to even lower frequencies. Perhaps there is someway you can do a mock up of this before hand.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom:

Based on my understanding of a bass trap panel, I will not be able to properly make use of these for bass frequencies. The panels were constructed using 1x2 lumber attached to 1/8" luan. The back provides support for the rather soft rock wool panels. So, If I move them away from the wall, the bass frequencies will not get "trapped" behind the panel since there is no absorbent material after the air space. I do plan on making some just like that for the corners.

Placement will be at the main "reflection" points along the side walls. For an even look, I am placing panels between the main reflection points as well. I don't have too large a bass problem. I ran the Music Articulation Test last night and the majority of frequencies were very precise and well defined.

I will post pictures as soon as I get close to finishing.

Rudy,

Yes, you are correct about them not "becoming" bass traps if you bring them a bit away from the wall. However, the absorption you get is a function of the amount / thickness of the wool, but you can still get a bit more absorption at lower frequencies by having a gap between the material and the wall. Try it and see.

-Tom

I'd been lurking behind the scenes here, and this has gotten very interesting.

Rudy, thanks for the lead on those books. I must say, your approach to setting-up that HT Room is sooooo very professional. You are definitely serious about that room, very nice setup. I'd would sure love to have a listen in there when it's done. Bravisimo! Bien Echo!

GC:

Congrats on your success. I know from experience that it is money well spent. Not only minimizing reflections but tightening up the bass.

I run a combination of RealTraps and some mid/higher frequency fiberglass panels in my main music room with great results. Winer and Everest are great resource sources.

Again - congrats.

Carl.

P.S. Kudos to Colin many moons back for his review - he knows. [:D]

I'd been lurking behind the scenes here, and this has gotten very interesting.

Rudy, thanks for the lead on those books. I must say, your approach to setting-up that HT Room is sooooo very professional. You are definitely serious about that room, very nice setup. I'd would sure love to have a listen in there when it's done. Bravisimo! Bien Echo!

Over the years, I have read many articles on the subject and every reputable article identifies the room acoustics as a critical part of the system. In many articles, the room is identified as the most, or second most important item. This particular room was rather bright, and the panels definately make a big differance. I wish I had a good computerized system to take accurate measurements of the changes to the room.

In any event, you are welcome to have a listen any time.

Here is one wall completed. Just prior to installing the panels, I took them all out of the room and did some listening. Then, placed them back in the room and listened to the same music again. These panels make a significant differance in the clarity and spaciousness of the soundstage. I decided not to space them from the walls since I am not perceiving any major bass problems.

post-10337-13819304309478_thumb.jpg

Rudy,

Your panels look great!! If there is space, I would also recommend laying one horizontally along the wall beneath your screen & behind your center channel speaker. You can even pull the base away slightly from the wall for extra trapping. If you can also mount one in each corner, that would be the ultimate!!

Great job, way to go!! It's amazing the difference a few room treatments can make!!

Welcome to the acoustically treated club[8-|]

My next step is to put up some velvet "theater" curtains along the front wall. Mostly for aesthetics, but will also affect the higher freqs. I currently have tube traps in the rear corners and my look into something for the front corners.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for those links. Those are very helpful. Im in big

trouble though because I dont even know how to evaluate my room.

geesh....

I guess the first step is buying a meter, but I wont know what to do with it once I have one.

I just wanted to mention that the proper tool is an ETF. If you have a

laptop/computer available near/in your listening room then it would

cost you $350 + shipping:

ETF5.x software: ($250)

http://www.etfacoustic.com/online%20order.htm

(program to be installed on the computer)

Behringer ECM8000: ($50)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-625

(calibrated mic for measuring)

Behringer UB802: ($50)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-602

(mixer is used for the microphone preamp and then the output is sent into your computer's soundcard).

If you want, just take the measurements and post the results on the forum and we can help you interpret your results for you.

• 10 years later...

First place for treatment is determined by purpose of the room.

I have over 20 in my room, including almost half as bass traps.  Many are large.

Wall reflection points of the left and right speakers is typically the most important place.

Especially in a room where there is little if any treatment, a 4" absorber at those points is the best option typically.

For home theater, more treatment is beneficial because more speakers are playing in more directions.

The most basic theater treatment beyond the first reflections is typically bass traps in the corners, and then treatment of the front wall.

There are literally thousands of pages in avsforum on the topic, i made it about 250 pages...

On 3/16/2006 at 10:30 AM, GC456 said:

How important are they?

It depends. If the room is full of furniture and you don't play it too loud, acoustic treatment may not be necessary.

When I built my dedicated HT room in the basement, I did a "clap" test. At that time, the room was empty and bare dry-wall,

not even painted. I situated myself in the middle of the room and clapped my hands as hard as I can. At that point, I knew I needed

sound treatment...as I clapped my hands, the echo came back almost instantly...it was terrible.

I bought me a kit, yes a $110 sound treatment called Sonex Classic Sound Absorption Foam, that came with bass traps and  2"x4"x48" panels.

Used all of them and the effect was absolutely amazing...no more echo. I clapped my hands and listened intently......and it was quiet.

After installing carpets and wall decorations(poster in frame), made the room even more acoustically balanced(if there's such a thing).

I realize this is an old thread but the ideas and suggestions made by others is valuable - others building their own or improving the

sound in their HT will find this thread useful, imho.