I just discovered DVD Music Videos tonight................

Cut-Throat

After I finished my basement, I just got the Eagles Farewell DVD in Melbourne tonight. I am sitting here and for the first time I am hearing the 'Old Rock' Songs in a quality recording. The video adds to the music like I would not believe!

If anyone has a must have Rock DVD video, please recommend it here! - I recommend the Eagles DVD highly!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see you've discovered a whole new world. It seems as if people either love 'em or hate 'em. I happen to really enjoy watching the performance (especially via projector) and listening to the concert. I love life music to begin with and watching the group perform just adds another dimension to the experience.

You may want to venture down to the "dvd's and music" section. There is at least one list of "best concert dvds" threads alive, although it may be difficult to find with the search engine. Just head back a few pages and you will most likely happen across it.

The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over," is pretty much on everyone's must-have list. I'm not familiar with the Melbourne DVD, but I do have HFO and it is stellar. I also have Heart's, "Alive in Seattle," and enjoy it as well. Congrats on your find.

I have always liked Diana Krall but I would not say she is my favorite female jazz singer. Try Diana Krall -Live in Paris! This live DVD sounds fantasitc and of course she looks great and the sound quality is much better than her cds or SACDs. The sound is on par with the Eagles DVDs.

I have always liked Diana Krall but I would not say she is my favorite female jazz singer. Try Diana Krall -Live in Paris! This live DVD sounds fantasitc and of course she looks great and the sound quality is much better than her cds or SACDs. The sound is on par with the Eagles DVDs.

I agree, Diana in Paris is my favorite. Sounds great. How does she look? She looks great. .........But look a little closer....... When you think about it, and are looking for it, you will see it.......The girl is trashed. She looks wasted. Thats OK, but look, and you will see it.

Tc

After I finished my basement, I just got the Eagles Farewell DVD in Melbourne tonight. I am sitting here and for the first time I am hearing the 'Old Rock' Songs in a quality recording. The video adds to the music like I would not believe!

If anyone has a must have Rock DVD video, please recommend it here! - I recommend the Eagles DVD highly!

Welcome to the world of concert DVD's; In most cases I'd rather buy the Dvd's instead of cd's, more bang for your buck.Right now there is so many choices, at prices cheaper than cd's. Here's a few that I really like;

the ROLLING STONES; Four flicks, 4 discs, 3 performance disc's, and 1 info disc;3 concerts;

The Stones @ Madison Square Garden; as it should be,The Greatest Rock n' Roll band on the Greatest stage in the world. Madison Square Garden the greatest rock venue, if you make it to that stage,You've made it. Good show, gotta love Sheryl Crow,Mick seems to like her. This is an arena show;

The Twickenham Stadium show; This is a full blown stadium show. A Greatest Hits package, no stone left unturned. These guys know and understand how to play this size venue.Good song selection, the band is right there, Woody and Keith, are locked together, twin guitars Stones style.;

The Olympia theatre show; This is for the Seasoned fan; this IS the Rolling Stones, a R+B band. This is where it started,American blues brought home by the British Invasion, Great songs performed in a club type setting, back to the basics Stones.This is my personal favorite set, good all around dvd, well worth $29.99.(best buy has it on sale for $20.00)

Dave Mason Live at the Sunrise; Dave Mason is a great song writer, and a pretty good guitarist. This set contains some Dave classics, along with Traffic classics.Inspired set, a real tight band, and Dave still can get it done. Too bad Dave and Steve Winwood couldn't work out their differences, because after this I want some Traffic. Top notch set by Dave and band

THE LAST WALTZ the Band; What can I say about this? Anyone who collects Dvd's Must, I repeat, MUST have this disc. One of the best concerts ever to be captured on film. Top notch, every artist just short of perfect. Not a wasted moment on this one, this is ROCK History, done with class. The BAND, that says it all!

The list of good concert DVD's grows everyday. Hope I didn't bore you, this is just my opinion, and I don't want to defend my choices, just putting out some information for people to consider. One last thing before I go; where is the footage of the Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore East, with Duane and Dickie, I know they have it, and I'd like to see it.

Kevin:

"The video adds to the music like I would not believe!"

Absolutely! We watched and listened to Phil Collins' farewell tour DVD last night, and it's lots of fun. The new Panasonic plasma TV is a huge part of that, but it's also great to have some control over the sound with the Lexicon processor. I prefer the stuff he did (much) earlier on with Genesis and Brand X, but the sound quality on this DVD is really good. One of his backup singers has a voice that's a pretty hard act to follow (for Phil!), but he is a great song writer for this type of music -- not to mention a talented drummer.

With the SVS subwoofer and 7 channel surround, movies have become a ton of fun, as well. The Lexicon is also a great 2-channel preamp, and some of the CDs we have actually do sound better if listened to in stereo only.

I know the Eagles DVD you mentioned, and it sounds like one we should get.

Erik

I was at a friends house last night and he played the Creame Reunion at the Royal ALbert Hall - Hold on to your seat!!!!!!

The sound was phenominal and these guys sounded at the top of their game. They did all of the old stuff and didn't miss a beat. Ginger Bakers drums are stunning, not to mention Jack and Eric.

The DVD is a compilation of four gigs at the Royal ALbert Hall in May 2005.

This is way better than the original records - I can't wait to buy a copy today!

Concert DVD's rock! The Eagles "Farewell tour" took the place of "HFO," as my favorite Eagles DVD. If you liked either one of these I can recommend Don Henley's " Live-Inside Job." It sounds and looks good.

Both Peter Gabriel's concerts are excellent on DVD. My current fave is "Live in Paris-The Exciter Tour," by depeche Mode. It's recorded better than the earlier "devotional," DVD.

My favorite female artist by far is Sarah McLachlan. Her "Afterglow Live" DVD will bring a tear to your eye (songs are sped up and sang at a faster pace than her CD's).

I appreciate this being a 2 channel thread, but as others have said-- multi-channel DVD's took the place of my CD collection. My only complaint is that on some concerts the crowd noise is overwhelming (especially between songs).

Welcome to the world of live perfomances in your home with all of their visual and sonic glory. [<:o)]

Since most of the music DVD's seem to be of live concerts, I'm not very enthusiastic about them from a musical sense. Generally the recordings are marginal to poor compared to good studio recordings and with many groups (like Rush) the live aspect means that the usual layering done in the studio by the musicians (one performer laying down multiple tracks and vocals) is not possible. Sometimes the actual music release happens to be a live performance anyway (Talking Heads from Stop Making Sense) so you get the same musical performance plus the visuals but often the live performances are not as polished or full as the studio work. In addition, some of the performances (especially older concerts like Queen) are produced and filmed/video'd in a way that is just plain crude and/or distracting by today's standards. Others, like the Doors, are of such poor performances that I'm wondering why the producers simply didn't take the band out back and put them (and us) out of our collective misery.

On the plus side, there are some shows (like the recent "Cher's Farewell Tour) that really have first class production and good visuals and sound. So for me, it's a mixed bag, and I do tend to avoid concert DVD's unless I can audition them first.

If your an Eagles fan pick up "Hell Freezes Over" there reunion DVD it is very good. I have about a dozen concert DVD they all sound pretty good. If you happen to be a early Springsteen fan get his release of the "Born to run" tour recorded at Hammersmith Odeon in Londen in 1975. It's amazing how they could turn live recording from back then into something great to listen too today.

Craig

I agree with you, Cut-Throat.

I had an earlier thread about

'Ya Gotta Love Jo Jo Walsh' after first watching the Farewell

Tour.

Then, just this week, we watched it and enjoyed it again, not on the big

HT (still too cold in that room) but on the old 2 channel system by the

woodstove. There are little 'mini-licks' in some of the songs

that are amazing.

And replacing Felder with anyone would have

been near impossible, but they pulled it off. And the Farewell

Tour is about ten years after HFO already.

Hamish

For those of you that don't like concert DVD's I can highly recommend Peter Gabriel's "Play--The Videos." It has a 5.1 DTS 96/24 mix that is phenomenal! I agree that some older concerts don't transfer well to the DVD 5.1 format, and of course a live performance is not going to be as polished as a studio recording. I agree with Def Leper about Rush not sounding good on DVD but I disagree with the video footage on Queen being outdated. Out of the four Queen DVD concerts I own, the "We will Rock you" is at the top of my list for both audio and video.

Insofar as another DVD that I like--REM's "Perfect Square," is a good concert performance. That being said and to agree that studio mixes are sonically better than a concert, after watching this DVD I seem to always put in the DVD-Audio of REM's greatest hits (i.e. "The Best of REM") and am floored with the quality in sound. E-Bow the letter REALLY makes the ole RSWs cook! [H]

• Moderators

If you like the artist these are some very good recordings:

Eric Clapton '' One more car one more rider"

James Taylor "pull over"

Boz Scaggs "greatist hits live"

Steely Dan's "two against nature"

Eric Claptons " Crossroads Guitar Festival"

• Moderators

Great another place to spend money !

And for all the 2 channel people they can also be played in 2.0, and if the tv is too big of a distraction just put it on to get thru the menu.

The pure 2 channel people should also like the dvd's because the quality is better than cd , don't fell like taking a beating so no comment on lp's.

I would have not been brave enough to put this in 2 channel ! They all must be in a good mood today, don't try this on monday.