I just discovered DVD Music Videos tonight................

Cut-Throat

OK here's some more DVD's;

Led Zeppelin; 2 disc set, great concert footage without the foolish stuff on "the Song Remains the Same". Very early footage of a band on the verge of greatness, On the second disc, there is an acoustic set that is worth the price of set its self. This is the band that set the Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock standard, that has never been surpassed.

AC/DC Live at Donnington; AC/DC was never better than this show.This DVD Rocks, Angus Young at his best.Chris Slade on drums, what a drummer, should have kept this guy.Basically this is a greatest hit package, and they play most of them, balls to the wall. This is what they do best, and Boy, they're good.

Most of the DVD's are 5.1, DTS, and /or can be played in 2channel, so you have many ways to play them, and enjoy the clean sound, no pops, and ticks, just music.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like the artist these are some very good recordings:

Eric Clapton '' One more car one more rider"

James Taylor "pull over"

Boz Scaggs "greatist hits live"

Steely Dan's "two against nature"

Eric Claptons " Crossroads Guitar Festival"

I second the "Crossroads Guitar Festival." That's a superior concert DVD with some of the best guitarists on it. I don't know about Diana Krall's, "Live in Paris," though. Doesn't the piano come out of the rear channels? (I could be way off here, but that's how I'm remembering it.)

David

"I don't know about Diana Krall's, "Live in Paris," though. Doesn't the piano come out of the rear channels?"

I can only get it to play in stereo. I have clicked on both surround version of the DVD but only plays in stereo. But it still sounds great!

Try turning the rear channels down so you cannot hear them.

This is quite an interesting thread and an entertainment medium to be explored.

I haven't had much interest in this, don't even have a TV in my two channel room. However, I recently watched the Celtic Woman concert DVD, just on the TV and thought it was impressive. I bet it would sound very good on a decent audio system, though, I don't think I've seen it mentioned so far in this thread.

The Hell Freezes Over CD has become a favorite since I heard some of it in the Klipsch factory demo room last year. I may check it out on DVD.

I was so impressed with the Eagles 'Farewell Tour' that I went out and got the Diana Krall 'Live in Paris' DVD. While I enjoyed the performance, it was not up to the Level of the Eagles DVD. The Diana Krall DVD was not as good as most any newer recorded CD. Yes, the Krall DVD was 'quiet', but it sounded like the recording gear was not on the stage like the Eagles recording.

I am going to try another half dozen of these DVDs. This is definitely the future.

Concert dvd's are much better than Music videos. Music videos are for mtv,and can be watched for free if you have cable. Most music videos are mindless and lip sync, leave it on Mtv. Give me a concert video, real people, playing real instruments, really singing, to a real audience. Guitars, drums, keyboards, voices, NOT a phoney drum beat, computer generated music,noise whatever you want to call it. If you don't like LIVE music, there is nothing I can say that will change your mind. LIVE music tells the truth, anyone can go into a studio, and sound good, but to play it live, and sound good,that's real.Music video's, maybe Jacksonbart is on to something, welcome to the 90's.

The Celtic Women DVD is incredible. I have it and sounds outstanding. I love the concert dvds, I always rip the audio out and make cds so I can listen to them in the truck also. I agree with the "live" comment. Sick of people who can only sound good when they are processed through a computer in a studio. I also recently got the Eagles Farwell Tour I and agree with all the positive comments.

Welcome to the 90s. wait... Its.. never mind, welcome to the 90s. Really depends on your tastes.

I have never watched a music video, I don't have any TVs or CDs, I've heard of cable, dish, and MTV but never have seen any of it.

For my tastes its all books and records (on tubes and horns of course). So what's that, welcome to the 50's?

Pauln

So after enjoying the Eagles Farewell Tour I DVD, I went out and bought the Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon DVD - Thinking I could get some better recorded Stones songs than the ones I had.

Boy was I wrong! - This DVD was just dreadful! - The remastered CDs sound better than this, and that is not saying much, because the CDs are pretty much unlistenable on a high-end system.

Hopefully I will encounter some more quality recordings like the Eagles one!

Cut

That farwell tour recording is about as good as it gets. Try those dtel posted. Same quality of recording. I have them all with the exception of James Taylor.

If you like Stevie Ray Vaughn try "Live at El Mocambo".

also, Dave Matthews "Live at Folsom Field".

• 1 year later...

I am not a huge DVD music collector, but really enjoyed the below titles...noticed a few were also mentioned in other posts.

- Eric Clapton "Crossroads Guitar Festival"
- The Band "Last Waltz"
- Bruce Springsteen "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions" - Great disk. Mine was included with the American Land Edition of the CD.
- Michael Buble "Caught in the Act". Don't laugh...it's my wife's. Seriously, this guy is a great entertainer and the sound and video is excellent.

One that I cannot recommend is the DVD edition of Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall". I love Neil...and the CD itself is great, but other than the historical significance of the video footage, this was a huge disappointment.

One I don't see mentioned often but I really like is U2 Rattle and Hum.

Rattle and Hum is a fine video of a young band on the rise .............. "Still haven't found what I'm looking for" done in the church ,with the Choir ,is an awesome piece of film footage ................. If you like U-2 ..... you must get LIVE AT SLANE CASTLE ..... a stripped down bare bones show ..... A true measure of their talent ......

Two very different types of music, but each with really outstanding audio: No Doubt Rock Steady Live and Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall 1971.

The video on the Neil Young DVD is home-movie quality, but the audio quality is unequalled, noticeably better than the accompanying CD. Listening to (and watching) this DVD, I saw that Neil Young was a much better guitarist and pianist than I had ever realized.

As for the No Doubt DVD, turn it up on a good system and you're at the concert. It rocks!

I have lots of DVD music - I guess about 70. They were the thing I got into after CD and before SACD and then the return to vinyl.

Some are good sonically - others poor to dreadful. My current DVD player - the Pioneer 575 just doesn't have good sound so these have taken something of a backseat latterly.

As it happens though - we get a classical music TV channel on the Satellite and I often watch that - although the selected performances aren't always the best.

On the subject of quality of sound I tend to find I am more forgiving when the music is accompanied by video. An interesting little test when comparing a DVD to a CD is to listen to the DVD with the TV off. I usually find the CD sounds better on its own but I prefer the video combo (unless it is truely sonically dreadful). As ever (for me) vinyl trumps everything else in the sound quality department.