Anyone use a TV Mount to hold a centre speaker?

dachuckster

I just got a 60' Sony SXRD (Love it!) and the matching Sony stand. I need to mount my RC7 speaker above it, and a great option is to use one of the TV wall mounts. They hold 60 pounds, get bolted to a stud, and almost extends out far enough to get to the front of the TV.

The mount I am eyeing extends out from the wall about 17 inches, and the TV is about 26 inches out from the wall.

I am guessing that if I have the bottom of the speaker at about the same level as the top of the TV, it should not really affect the sound too much. One that I am looking at has a bar that is L shaped, and I wonder if I can mount the L barcket upside down so the bracket is not seen (it would go down below the level of the speaker, so the speaker would hide it from view).

Has anyone done this before?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions....?

Yes I do. I have about 5 feet behind my plasma and had nowhere to put a center channel. So I got a tv mount that hangs from the ceiling.

The mount easily hides itself.

Just be sure the tray is large enough to adequate support the backof the RC7 where the adjustable bolts are. Mine tapers in the back making it impossilbe to use the adjustable bolts for angling, instead I built angled blocks of wood.

Also, if you angle it you may opt go with one with a decent lip to prevent it from sliding off. If you do that place some rubber feet on the speaker side of the lip to reduce vibrations and be sure that the lip will fit between the grill posts. That way you can put the grill on and hide the lip.

One last thing to think about. If you angle the RC7 you may want to fill the gap between the speaker and tray. This significantly reduced a hollow sound when playing at moderate and higher volumes.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Scott

Me too. First my C7, and now my modified Quartet has been positioned above the Mitsubishi for several years now. I opted for the 90lb max model from Home Depot, and still lived with high anxiety for about the first year. Just my luck, it would come crashing down and destroy the speaker and TV. I dream of a version that could alter the height and angle with the mere touch of the remote ... someday [:)] !

Thanks for the advice, but I am not sure I understand what you meant by you used angled blocks of wood, and why......

I would probably angle the speaker down a litle, but the TV mount is able to be angled slightly, so I wouldnt use the bolts that screw in to the bottom of the speaker.

The TV mount I am buying supports 60 pounds, and the RC7 is listed at 44, so that should be fine. What I may do is drill a couple of small pilot holes into the bottom of the RC7 to screw in a couple small screws from under the TV mount to be sure it stays in place. I wouldnt go in more than a half inch.

Any thoughts on this?

I went with a 90pound mount up just to be sure.

Angle blocks of wood

The tray does angle but with the height the monut is at the tilt exceeded the ability of the tray.

The distance between the adjustment legs for the RC7 is wider than the tray so they are are useless hence the blocks of wood to help with the angling.

Scott

I have some mount that actually sits on top of our 52" Mits, and the center goes on top.

I have the speaker pointing slightly down into the seating area - and

it is perfect! Literally sounds like the TV is talking, sound

like a good movie theater.

Just some relitivly inexpensive JBL's that are setup properly, and they

sound fantastic. Cannot wait to get a good receiver in there!

I have a rather extensive CAGE built out of 3/4" black pipe, it surrounds both sides of the TV and goes across the top, all the while supported from the floor. Sitting on the top pipe is standard 12" x 48" shelf which suppports the Academy at center point above the TV. When I get a chance I will take a picture. It's pretty nice looking, but I hate the thought of ever dismantling it when I get a larger TV (I have a 46" Sony RPTV now).

Chris

No TV mount but I possibly have a different solution. I have an excess pair of NIP black JBL MTC-51 speaker wall mounts. They don't have a weight holding specification and the heaviest thing JBL used them for was 24 lbs. IMO they are hefty and would hold much more. Look at link and see what you think.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTC51/

If you think they'll work $20 and they are yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice mtber101,

I have a couple 7's and once in a while think about the Rc7 but it images pretty well considering the layout of the room. It may not matter to you but a few drops of hot melt glue every 8 inches or so around the door wil pull those cables tight in the corners of the door trim to hide them and it can be easily removed if necessary.

I too am in the group of having to wait for one thing at a time.