Cornwall with WAF appeal (WaCorn)

jwc

Well, I had to come with something decent for my 1000th post.

Long post. Grab a beer or coffee.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Just after I built my Cornscalas (non dbb), I got a lot of inquiries about the possibility of a tall Cornscala that has a more WAF appeal. I came up with several drawings/plans and then I learned (thanks to Michael Hurd) that the K401 is supposed to be on a baffle because that exponential horn is cut short. It was then difficult to come up with a reasonable plan for that project.

Of course then I was laden with IBSlammins idea of the dbb and BSButtons idea of the Bass Cannon. The dbb's were built. The Bass cannon project is put on hold as I got frustrated when I was ripped off on Ebay (long story; will require another post). It may get to it but now Dana Moore has given me some even more complicated ideas that will eventually develop.

In the mean timeguess what.my wife has beaten me down to build another set of speakers that look more appealing and more modern. Yeamy wife is a geek like me. The Cornwall 3 has interested me because of the huge favorable response after their demo last year. I was impressed that they would sound sooo good with that K701 horn with a mid/woof crossing at 700Hz. Duke Spinner seems to think that that crossing is the sweet spot (not in exact words).

I also see that the newer K33E is used in the CW3. Check out the frequency response of that speaker on the main Klipsch site. Yealows down to 45dB. This is what is predicted with that driver on WinISD. I own 6 of those drivers in Cornwall-like cabinets and I would have to say that that is probably right. I doubt many on this forum have heard what the newer K33E sounds like in the Cornwall cab as most all past Cornwalls have the older K33E.

Anyway. Why not build a speaker that has the WAF appeal, Bobs new woofer with the lower Fs, his new tweeter and throw in an Altec 811b for the midhorn and the K55v as the mid driver. This cabinet can get as narrow as 19 ½ inches. Yeachicks may dig that. Now to port thisthe shelf-port would have to be narrow and taller. I didnt want to do thisand I dont have a good reason not to. I wanted to try out the tube ports for a change. Dana Moore and DrWho have recommended the dual flared ports. That is what I will try. They are coming in the mail.

Well. What do you think Klipsch did for the new CW3 crossover.a mystery. How can I match that. Well, Al seems to think that the ported K33 is about 6 ohms regardless if horn loaded or reflex/ported. Al uses this thinking in his modern ALK B design. Not wanting to start a debate on this here as I have brought this subject up several times and nobody seems to argue much against that (although published 3.34 ohmsfree air?).

ThereforeI built the Extreme slope ESN700t. I am using a DIY bandpass with an attenuated tweeter filter hooked up just like in the ALK B. Thanks Dean for flooring my questions on how to do this if I need to change the attenuation from the usual 3dB as with past Cornwall networks.

WaCorn...."Wife Approval Cornwall". Or "TallCorn".

jc

post-16499-13819284199014_thumb.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JC,

Those look awesome. I foresee a trip to West Atlanta sometime this summer to tour and hear your DIY museum and maybe play some golf.

You design, prototype and produce faster than where I work. Way faster.

Very nice job. I'm sure they will sound fantastic knowing all the sound practice behind the effort.

You definitely have it together brother.

[:D]

Jw,

The ES500 looks like it's coming along nicely. BTW: putting the input inductor up on stilts wasn't necessary. It's ok though. It just shouldn't make any difference. It's the other big horizontal one (the "notch" inductor) that benefits from being lined up on center with the vertical one next to it. Even it only makes a db or two difference in the "arc top" in this design. It's the ES5800 tweeter network that is critical as h___ to coil placement!

Al K.

As usual, looks good JC. Are these for the lake house? Had a guy suggest to me running two mid horns in series allowing the cross to mid at 200? This guy's a Phd, with degree's from MIT and Harvard. He runs a pair of older Infinity reference towers with the Emit tweeter thingy's: along with 6 Krell monoblocks. He's got Rowland pre-amps, Cal audio CD players, Apogee speaks in the other room, along with about 6 pairs of Yamaha NS1000's. Great find, this guy: and my wife thinks I'm nuts...

By the way, he played a telarc audiophile record of the Beach Boys' (Good Vibrations). Almost lifted me off the sofa....

BS

Al, this is the ES700t. That horn is the 811b and I believe this ESN is the only one that will work with the 811b.............right? I splurged and got all 14 AWG. On the posted schematic of yours, the 3.0 mHy you suggested 16 AWG. I just made it easy on myself and got all 14 AWG. I went ahead and just put both large inductors on stilts just to make it look good and even.

You know its funny. When I first cut those boards I thought..."Why in the heck do they have to be that big". Then I realized that every inch is used in order to make it look neat. I left space at the front to place an autoformer if I ever decide to use these 2 way.

Todd. Where u been man? Yes these are for the lake house. The sad thing is that the electronics pushing them won't be the greatest.

That suggestion of the two horns at 200Hz. I have no idea. Over my head.

Todd. I had to make an order from mouser.com. I got an extra pair of terminals if you are still interested in piddling. If you end up not needin them...not to worry...I have plenty of things I can do with them. Email me sometime, Dude. Also...are you doing the HT bypass with the Peach?

jc

Yes, I gave Bob's new horn some thought. It has about the same width as the 811b but a little taller. As you can see from the top section of the cabinets, there is some extra room for this purpose.

Things are moving slower than usual due to working long hours. I have both motorboards complete and mounting brackets in the bass bins. I also have made 2 "T-Bars" that go in the middle of the bass bins for bracing. You can see one on the very top. Also have mounted 3/4" risers on the bottom of the bass bins.

post-16499-13819284478802_thumb.jpg

The cabinets are pretty much assembled at this point. Will hopefully have the woofers and ports installed this weekend so that I can RTA the bass bin. Will try to get a flat response by cutting the ports to the appropriate length.

post-16499-13819284535212_thumb.jpg

Nice Page Dean. I have used that site for other stuff. I will compare the results with WinISD. I was going to error on the long side and shorten them later if needed.

Chops. Those are "pole mounts" for the K77 or the CT125. This will place the tweeter up flush with the Altec 811b and to the front of the cabinet.

Dean. That program lines up pretty well with the predictions of WinISD.

My cabinet is 6.5 cu ft and I will be using (2) 4inch diameter ports for each cabinet. If I ask for a tuned cabinet of say 39Hz, this calculates out to 4 inch in length ports. On WinISD, this is the same and the curve is flat.

I have a bank of at least 5 different reported K33 T/S parameters. To get a flat curve with dual 4 inch diameter ports, the length always comes between 4 and 6 inches. I am hoping with Bob's woofer that the flat curve will bring a lower tuning point than the newer K33E.

Bob. If you are out there, can you publish the specs on the new woofer of yours. I saved the T/S parameters from two of your pre 1985 woofers. I used some of those for my estimation of ports.

Bob. Thanks. Man, i'm glad you sent me those as I was about to screw up. Man those woofers can hit some lows with a flat response. How impressive. Did notice that the sensitivity seems to be lower.

Looks as if I am gonna have to start with a little longer ports. My example below is with dual 4 inch ports at 7 inches in length. Tuned to 30Hz! Damn.

post-16499-1381928454798_thumb.jpg