Having problems with S sibilance with Synergys and possible mod ? s

isaidme

Hi guys,I have a pair of the new Synergy F2s being run off a Yamaha 5890.I am in the lower price range bracket guys!Anyway Im having a problem with overexaggerated SSSSSS in voices with the F2s when watching movies.The cymbals and chimes in music and movies really arent over powering though,which is strange because they should be related.I have the EQ set flat across the board and the overall treble setting at 2.I dont think room acoustics are the problem.Any ideas would be apreciated.Also has anyone tried a replacing the aluminum tweet with a silk one.If so how did it work with the horn and what tweet did you use?Last what is the cut off frequency for the tweeters in the synergy line?Thanks

Just a few suggestions:

Move the speakers as far away from the side walls as you can. This made a huge difference with my RF-7s.

What is the flat or middle setting for treble? You state that you currently have it at '2.' Is 0 the middle? I'd put it at 0 or -1, again, if 0 is the middle setting. Horns don't need ANY extra treble empasis!

You'll find that different movies and music will be recorded vastly different. Some will be more dynamic and full, and some will be duller sounding. Same with the sibilance in recordings. I have some CDs that I can't even listen to anymore because they sound terrible on my RF-7s.

I'd seriously discourage you from trying and modifying your speakers by replacing any drivers. The cabinets and crossovers were designed specifically for each driver that's in there. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll end up with a sound that you will not like.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,Yeah 0 is the middle!I forget how every setting goes negative.I have a 30day return and might return the Yamaha.

I believe you're thinking along the right line. Interconnects might help.

Keith

Yamaha is a bit notorious for being bright with Klipsch...but before ANYTHING else...look at the room acoustics. If you have a bright reflective room...you are gonna have that problem. Some simple acoustic treatments not only will help solve the problem but they'll give you significantly improved sound across the board.

I would turn the treble control to -2 right away. I would not return the Yamaha until you have tried that. The horns are very efficient and do not need help. I also would advise against messing with the tweeter. Experiment with those controls though, you might find a perfect setting! Good Luck and let us know how your experiments turn out.