Would an inexpensive EQ ruin my sound?

wuzzzer

I used to have an AudioSource EQ a long long time ago and enjoyed the convenience of being able to adjust the sound over several octaves.

I know that many people are of the opinion that not using an EQ would be best, but if I were to hook one up inline with my receiver and subwoofer's pre-ins and pre-outs, would I be introducing more noise and more distortion into my system?

With my HK 730 I only have a bass and treble knob and I have no idea what frequency that they boost/cut and by how much. I'd like to be able to leave those at their flat position and then get an EQ to adjust specific frequencies.

Any EQ, and particularly cheap graphs, will introduce noise, distortion and phase shift. Some units control these to a point where it either pleasing or at least unobjectionable. Of course like anything else, some don't.

I've got a 430 twin and I'll say it's a great piece for the bucks, but the 7s will likely sound much nearer their potential with choices other than the 730. Whether SS or tube, a modest upgrade would be well worth the trouble I'd bet, especially when you consider the cost difference between buying a cheap EQ ($100-300) and just trying a different pre & amp.

If you do try an EQ with your current stuff, I'd suggest a decent parametric. I've always found them to be more useful than graphics for what you want. I prefer a bandwidth control on each band if possible, but that's probably a rarity on affordable gear.

Any EQ, and particularly cheap graphs, will introduce noise, distortion and phase shift. Some units control these to a point where it either pleasing or at least unobjectionable. Of course like anything else, some don't.

I've got a 430 twin and I'll say it's a great piece for the bucks, but the 7s will likely sound much nearer their potential with choices other than the 730. Whether SS or tube, a modest upgrade would be well worth the trouble I'd bet, especially when you consider the cost difference between buying a cheap EQ ($100-300) and just trying a different pre & amp.

If you do try an EQ with your current stuff, I'd suggest a decent parametric. I've always found them to be more useful than graphics for what you want. I prefer a bandwidth control on each band if possible, but that's probably a rarity on affordable gear.

Agreed

You are "Band Aiding" limitations in a solid state reciver; a prety good one but still lacking in some aspects.

I have heard RF-7 sound amazing 2 times. Both times with tubes.

I suggest a EL84 or 7189 or more powerful vintage tube integrated. Most of us "tubies" used vintage tube integrateds as step 1. My LK-48 Scott excels in realism compared to any of the 6 SS integrateds (NAD, Dennon, HK, Sansui and Kenwood) I have owned in the past 5 years.

I would measure the actual bumps and dips in your room with a cheap RS SPL meter and a Stereophile test disc. That will tell you within 2db what problems need to be solved. A cheap EQ can solve some of those problems, but only if you use about half of the gain or cut required; otherwise it affects other frequencies and introduces other problems. This or acoustic panels or both can really make a big difference to your home movie and music reproduction system. [H]