My brother is leaning toward the CS DTT 2500: any advice?

Bocaj

My brother and I are in the market for new computer speakers. After reading the high praise of numerous reviews and the testimonials, comments, and opinions of those on this BB, short of strong and convincing persuasive to do otherwise, I am going to get the updated Promedia 4.1 (hopefully in late Feb.). Alternatively, he is leaning heavily toward the Cambridge Soundworks DTT 2500. He finds appealing the 5.1 system so he can better achieve true Dolby surround, because it better utilizes the SV Live 5.1 card, and because of it's admirable reviews. He uses his computer audio primarily for home recording, mp3s, occasional movies, and especially games. I have nothing against the DTT 2500s, in fact, I'd be getting them were it not for the Pros. From those who have heard/used/owned/were-tempted-to-buy both speaker systems, I/he would appreciate it if you can provide any comments, in the most objective and substantive manner you can, that you think might be informative. Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Bocaj:

My brother and I are in the market for new computer speakers. After reading the high praise of numerous reviews and the testimonials, comments, and opinions of those on this BB, short of strong and convincing persuasive to do otherwise, I am going to get the updated Promedia 4.1 (hopefully in late Feb.). Alternatively, he is leaning heavily toward the Cambridge Soundworks DTT 2500. He finds appealing the 5.1 system so he can better achieve true Dolby surround, because it better utilizes the SV Live 5.1 card, and because of it's admirable reviews. He uses his computer audio primarily for home recording, mp3s, occasional movies, and especially games. I have nothing against the DTT 2500s, in fact, I'd be getting them were it not for the Pros. From those who have heard/used/owned/were-tempted-to-buy both speaker systems, I/he would appreciate it if you can provide any comments, in the most objective and substantive manner you can, that you think might be informative. Thanks

If he is dead set on the Creative Labs, at least have him get the 3500s as opposed to the 2500s. I still advice the Klipsch over either of those though.

you don't need real dolby 5.1 in a pc system.

the center channel is useless in a one listener configuration.

the cambridge are sooooo wimpy compared to the pros. there's absolutely no comparison.

let him have his cambridge, you'll be able to laugh at him at will after.

I think quite the same, 5.1 is made almost only for DVDs, and... Is it just me or I find the look of the Cambridge totally ugly?

Plus the fact that I had the Altec ASC-56 Digital (not dolby though) and I now have the pros.. Difference between Digital and analog? Well, unless you are crazy about having the best of the best, I prefer to feel the true power of sound... Not you?

------------------

I'm the real Mike, and proud of it!

1) the reason the center channel is useless is because it was developped in the first place to situate the dialogue for listeners who were off-axis. even if you do watch dvds on your puter, you don't need a center channel.

2) difference between analog and digital? well nothing once it's coming out of speakers, it's always analog. the reason the cambridge are "digital" is because they decode the digital bitstream themselves instead of letting the soundcard do it.

3) if you are crazy about having the best of the best, either go with the crossfires, or even better with the Eminent Technology LFT-11 in surround configuration.