electrical wiring - under carpet?

damonrpayne

So I just found out last friday that it is the law to cover extension

cables that might be stepped on with a throw rug...my source of

information is the building supervisor over at the Union on campus.

Apparently firecode requires that the cable be covered...it's even in

the handbook.

For what it's worth, this is a strict union-worker run government building.

We were running extension cords for some light trees and we almost got

in trouble for not having a rug thrown over right away...we couldn't

apply power until a rug was put into position (gotta love annoying

union rules, ugh)

Just thought I'd throw that experience out there...

NO!!

Check National Electric code

Local Building codes

House fires are very dangerous....

They sell them things at Office depot to put wires in that people must walk over...big heavy rubber...

Or just run it around room....under baseboards....

Dr. Who. sorry man, you're waay off base on this one. Please do not give dangerous advice to others on this forum. The man's new home is at stake here.

NO NO NO NO NO,

never put any kind of A/C wiring where it is A) hidden from view and therefore inspection B) where it might undergo abrasion from being stepped on.

Tom Adams and others are right on track on this one.

Michael

So I just found out last friday that it is the law to cover extension

cables that might be stepped on with a throw rug...my source of

information is the building supervisor over at the Union on campus.

Apparently firecode requires that the cable be covered...it's even in

the handbook.

For what it's worth, this is a strict union-worker run government building.

We were running extension cords for some light trees and we almost got

in trouble for not having a rug thrown over right away...we couldn't

apply power until a rug was put into position (gotta love annoying

union rules, ugh)

Just thought I'd throw that experience out there...

That might be for some type of temporary usage. They're interested in people not tripping over cords that are placed for a single use purpose. On campus probably all floors are concrete/ tile/ terrazzo as well

But I'd never do that in a home with flammable materials around. (carpet/ wood subfloor)

And just because some union guy says it's okay doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do in one's own home.

Give it up man, this is a bad, bad bad idea.

Did I say that this was a bad idea?

M

I am with Michael/ Colterphoto1 on this one...

It may cost you, but cut the floor up.... use a conduit.. do it right... to where you need it. Re cement over it.. and sleep well your ok and up to any code.

Sure beats your house burning down or that one neighbor with a huge lawsuit when he trips or falls too.

i've been following this for the past few days and the advice has been varied.

i'm supposing that a pole from above is out of the question, and also understand the reasoning behind the cautiousness of advice given , in a senario like this a lenght of romex with section of the padding for carpet removed to allow to lay flat and a metal strip secured over cable will be as safe as any loose joint that the electrician might have left,and they are there.

i'm not a builder but would advise that a chasc in your floor would not be just big enough for what could fit in it , i think that would present the possobility for cracking, it would be better to be able to place dowels in a chase then repour concrete. a $ 1500 20A residental outlet. with careful consideration you choose. Have you consider asking your electrical inspector how you might be able to resolve this delima?

OK, I have to chime in here... Geeze . I did this for my electrical seats in my HT as well. Either I got a hell of a deal from my electrician, or you guys are way out of line here.

He drilled a hole in my cement basement floor... placed a a 1/2 " conduit for the wires to go through... the receptical was located say 8 feet from the side wall.. I looked.. All of 325 dollars. The re pouring of concrete was a no biggie.. BTW the receptical is flush mounted into the floor with the carpet too. (Pretty cool, IMO)

I know 325 is not 20 dollars......... But I sleep very, very, well... I will have no problems at all. And if I need anything with electricity while sittting in the theater seats.... I have an outlet..and not a cord to the wall if somone comes in during a dark movie and trips.

OK, hope this helps.

Time for a contra opinion here - there is flat wire made for just the situation you are talking about - a concrete base that will be covered in carpet. It is a solution folks have put in for me in numerous office building renovations. It lays reasonably flat, is covered by a flat piece of metal sheathed in a rubber compound (very thin, durable stuff) and taped over.

The catch? - well, it may cost about the same as cutting into the concrete and laying conduit. It is something used often in leasehold space where not futzing with the concrete is a good thing.

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say...

Though I would simply rent a concrete saw on toss a conduit and box in myself... just in case I wanted to pull a few extra wires in for something in the future

it's really not that tough of a job. I've rented target saws (concrete saws) before and aside from the extremely nasty dust it's not that big a deal. just cut a groove, lay wire in conduit affix box at correct finished floor height, have a licensed electrician do the hookup for you, pour a little concrete to level it out and you're good to go.

Indy's contractor did a fantastic job and the price sounds very reasonable. If ya wanna save some bucks do the cutting yourself.

I had my home's electical power upgraded to 400 Amp and had to saw through 8" of concrete sidewalk. It took a jackhammer to break it up but the sawing is not difficult.

Michael